• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MV SD vs BC

Which load would you run?

• Higher MV/BC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shootingnut

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2011
Parker, Colorado
New guy here! I'm choosing my preferred factory load for my 6mm Creedmoor 26" and I'm stumped choosing between a low MV SD or a higher SD but faster MV and better BC.

On the one hand, I have Federal Premium with a 105gr Berger (.275 G7 BC) that's shooting an average of 3050 fps with an SD of 10. (One thing I noticed with this load was that closing the bolt took a bit more force than usual, and same with opening the bolt and ejecting the case. Not sure if that's an issue.)

On the other hand, I have the Barnes 112gr match burners (.3 G7 BC) that were shooting an average of 3094 fps with an SD of about 20.

Both grouped about the same, so I can't tell if I should go for the Federal ammo that has a lower BC and lower MV, but more consistent MV or the Barnes that was faster with a better BC, but less consistent MV.

Use case is PRS matches and long range hunting coyotes/pronghorn.

New guy here! I'm choosing my preferred factory load for my 6mm Creedmoor 26" and I'm stumped choosing between a low MV SD or a higher SD but faster MV and better BC.

On the one hand, I have Federal Premium with a 105gr Berger (.275 G7 BC) that's shooting an average of 3050 fps with an SD of 10. (One thing I noticed with this load was that closing the bolt took a bit more force than usual, and same with opening the bolt and ejecting the case. Not sure if that's an issue.)

On the other hand, I have the Barnes 112gr match burners (.3 G7 BC) that were shooting an average of 3094 fps with an SD of about 20.

Both grouped about the same, so I can't tell if I should go for the Federal ammo that has a lower BC and lower MV, but more consistent MV or the Barnes that was faster with a better BC, but less consistent MV.

Use case is PRS matches and long range hunting coyotes/pronghorn.

Can’t endorse either bullet for antelope, but if I read your post right, you’ve got lower MV SD (10 fps) with the Berger load and higher MV SD (20 fps) with the Barnes?

The Berger is a vastly better bullet, so if I’ve got your MV SD situation correct, this is a no-brainer. Berger all day.

Reactions: shootingnut
Can’t endorse either bullet for antelope, but if I read your post right, you’ve got lower MV SD (10 fps) with the Berger load and higher MV SD (20 fps) with the Barnes?

The Berger is a vastly better bullet, so if I’ve got your MV SD situation correct, this is a no-brainer. Berger all day.

Yep, that's correct. Was hoping my explanation was clear. The Berger had the lower MV SD.

Thanks for the input!

In this case, i would go with the lower SD. I like the 112 Match Burner and I shoot them and the 115 DTAC almost exclusively out of my 6XC and Creedmoor, but the 105 Hybrid is a fantastic bullet. If your choice was something like the Hornady 105 BTHP or Nosler 105 Custom Comp, that would've been a different story

Last edited:
I’ll take consistency and accuracy over better BC up to a certain point. On my DTA 223 my most accurate load was with the SMK80. 1/4 moa, single digit ES, etc. It was more accurate than my 80 ELD-Ms load which was more of a 1/2-5/8moa. Up to 800 yards the SMK was better. At 900 it was about even with a slight edge to the ELD-M and at 1000, the 80 ELD-M was better.
Of course it would depends, if it was a windier day, maybe 600-700 yards would have been where the accuracy would have been tied.

On a 6creed that’s a different story and it might not make much of a difference even past 1000 yards in that case then I’d go with the Berger 100%