• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos My $100 AICS project

DPRoberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
St.Louis, MO
This project has been in the works off and on for a couple months. Its nearly complete apart from sanding and Duracoating. The magwell will be cut out for AICS mags whenever I get around to buying one so I can get measurements. The action area was machined from a block of 1.25" x 3" block of 6061-t6 aluminum. The fore end and stock portion are aluminum tube epoxied together. I've actually seen a slight increase in accuracy over the HS precision stock it replaced, so I'm relieved I didn't screw anything up too badly. Overall I'm very satisfied with the end result. All milling was done by my father per my designs on an old Bridgeport. (I built him a 1911 as a thank you gift. I got the better end of the deal
grin.gif
) I extrapolated all my measurements from the r700 action itself and the AICS skins I purchased from Mile High Shooting Supply.

Total aluminum cost: less than $40
Aics skins from Mile High Shooting Supply $50
Various screws and bolts $5
Duracoat $16

I won't say it's in the same Tier as a real AICS (I certainly wouldn't use it as a pull up bar), but for my uses I gained all the advantages of a top end chassis for peanuts. Not to mention having another cool project under my belt. Even when I buy the aics mag, the total cost will still be covered by the sale of my old 700p stock.

My only regret is not taking more pictures of the various stages of machining.

Edit: The cheek rest is very temporary until i find someone with a takeoff aics one lying around.

Re: My $100 AICS project

Looks Great! I love to see project threads like this!
Always gives more to see the individual thinkers ideas than to look on factory stuff.

When i do similar things my main purpose is that i feel what is on the market is not good enough. And usually i always do such Projects in manual machinery and that gives me Great pleasure!

Håkan

Great skills and ingenuity.

But, can't help wondering whether such projects infringe on AI's intellectual property/copyrights and what the reaction from the community would have been if this was made in China.
wink.gif

Far as I know, one can manufacture a "copy" of anything as long as it is for yourself and you are not selling or misrepresenting it.

BTW, looks great, wish I had the skills!