• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 1917 and M40

Harleystoo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
My 1917 and my M40 (repros) are my two favorite sniper rifles; and my most accurate.
Decades ago, a friend of mine was into reenacting and wanted a cheap sniper rifle to play with. So he took one of his 1917s had the sights removed and 2-piece Redfield bases added. Then we used split-top rings and added an M82 scope. Like so many of the sniper rifles of the era, there are no National Match modifications done to accurize the rifle. With the .30-06 cartridge and a 26" barrel, this rifle will reach out there and touch someone. As my friend aged past shooting, he passed the rifle on to me

After the economy collapsed back in 2008-09, I decide to stop buying original sniper rifles. Another friend of mine was into building reproduction M40s, I decided to jump onto his band wagon. I purchased a scoped Varminter Special for $585, sold the scope and began working on the stock. I believe that Remington called these stocks M&Ps. In the mean time, I had the receiver cut by a local gunsmith whom my friend had given the blueprints of an M40 to. Then engraved with "U.S.", the next stop was having the receiver and barrel parkerized. The Redfield scope was iodized green, and the base and rings nitrided. This rifle loves 180 grn. bullets, which I used to take down an elk years ago. In my older years, I added the sissy-pad.

Neither of these rifles were assembled to fake someone out of their money, but as shooters. As I slowly sell off my collection, these two rifles will be the last to go.

Attachments

• P-17 & M82 #1.jpg
    P-17 & M82 #1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 115
  • M40 repro #1.jpg
    M40 repro #1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 115