• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 1917 Eddystone

Re: My 1917 Eddystone

So far from what I can tell, your rifle was manufactured in May of 1918 (I looked it up on oldguns.net). I havn't pulled mine out of the safe in a while, but if I'm not mistaken the year is usually stamped into the barrel just before the front sight post. It might be hard to see...I cant see mine unless the light hits it just right. Your rifle is made by Eddystone...the other makers of the American version of this rifle were Remington and Winchester. Eddystone seems to be the most commmon one to find. The bursting bomb symbol that you see just behind the front sight is an ordanance (sp?) symbol...and is common on American surplus rifles. Its stamped in other numerous places as well. The 'E' that you see stamped on the other parts stands for 'Eddystone'. While the parts may not be the exact ones that the rifle was made with, they are still made by the same manufacturer.

There are a few other symbols your rifle has that I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. You can usually search Google and find what they mean.

I think its a keeper if I could get it back into it's original configuration (I'm not one to sporterize old surplus rifles). It might be hard, but if it were my rifle I would try to find an original Eddystone stock for it since most of the other parts seem to be made by them. I would also try replacing the front sight post with an original as well.

Thank you Shooter67 for this information.

What is the "W" or "M" on the barrel? Is this barrel a Winchester barrel?

I also agree, I do not care for the sporterized versions. I am searching for an Eddystone stock.

Why in the world somebody would hack off the blades of the front sight is beyond me.

No, I'm not sure what the 'W' or 'M' stands for, but it doesn't stand for Winchester. The barrels were stamped with the makers initial right being the front site (W-Winchester, E-Eddystone, R-Remington). I have never seen 'JA' before, and I did a search on Google and found that 'JA' stands for "Johnson Automatic". According to what I read, they are replacement barrels that a few of these rifles got during WWII.

My guess is that your barrel has two grooves, instead of the usual five. Nothing wrong with that though.

As far as cutting the site hood off...maybe whoever had it before planned on mounting a scope to it, and thought the scope wouldn't see over the "ears".

I have one in 308 Norma I bought for $100 it is a beutiful rifle but I have never shot it due to hard to come by ammo, I will have to build one one of these days:)

My Winchester has a JA barrel. Two groove, like the 03A3/03A4 Remington barrels.

My Eddystone still has the original barrel. 5 grooves, left hand twist instead of right hand twist. Looks really weird when you look down the barrel till you figure out what's different.

Great guns. Look up the story of Lt. Sam Woodfill (WW1 - France - US Army). Awesome story but not as well known as Sgt. York but every bit is inspiring.

was going to look at the pics and try to give you some info but all I get is a "forbidden" error message.