• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 1st AR DPMS sweet 16

ddubas

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Sidney,NE
Will be getting my 1st AR soon. After looking over everything and based upon what the main purpose of the rifle,varmint hunting, i found a deal on a used DPMS sweet 16. Like i said mostly varmint/coyote hunting with it. With a 16 in barrel what kind fps will i be getting. i'm going to try bullets from 40 grains up to 75/77 grains.

Re: My 1st AR DPMS sweet 16

It is set up for 60-75 gr bullets. Try the Fiocchi factory stuff loaded with SMKs. Drives tacks in mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D squared</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With a 16 in barrel what kind fps will i be getting. i'm going to try bullets from 40 grains up to 75/77 grains. </div></div>

The varying bullett weights will give you a wide variety of fps.

i understand varying bullets weights will give varying difference's but i was wondering what i could expect if anyone has shot a 16 in barrel with those bullets weights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D squared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i understand varying bullets weights will give varying difference's but i was wondering what i could expect if anyone has shot a 16 in barrel with those bullets weights. </div></div>

I've chrony'd my 18" barrell w/ 69 gr, but that doesn't help ya much.

16" barrell are more typically combat / M4 length, not usually used for precision rifles. As such, it'll be interesting to see how many people have actually chrony's their 16" barrell.

Me? For a varmint rifle, I'd go minimum 18"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D squared</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will be getting my 1st AR soon. After looking over everything and based upon what the main purpose of the rifle,varmint hunting, i found a deal on a used DPMS sweet 16. Like i said mostly varmint/coyote hunting with it. With a 16 in barrel what kind fps will i be getting. i'm going to try bullets from 40 grains up to 75/77 grains. </div></div>

There's a pretty good chance that those 75/77 grain bullets will not fly nice with the Sweet 16 barrel (1:9 twist). It will shoot the 69 grainers just fine however.

I am getting 2750 with the Sierra 77 gr HPBT and 24.8 of BL-C2. Shoots sub MOA to 300 in my Sweet 16. Range is at 8000' up.
Just wrecks varmints.