• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My 2011 Oryx

257speed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Alb, New Mexico
Got to get out with my boys and got lucky. One shot, 400 yards, dropped in her tracks.
7WSM, 175gn SMK. Bullet took out spine and lungs, bullet dia. entrance, 2" exit.
2011oryx002.jpg

Re: My 2011 Oryx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how did you manage to kill it without a TSX? </div></div>

I know, damn useless SMK's hahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding!

On or Off range hunt? </div></div>

On range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding!

On range </div></div>

Same meaning as free-range vs. non-free range hunt ?
Since the Oryx is an African animal, I assume it's from a hunting ranch, can you provide link to hunting ranch, Thanks.

BTW, beautiful looking animal.

I think he means White sands missile range. They released them there a while back and have done well. The tags are hard to come by from what a friend of mine in espanola said.
Rthur

Depending on the hunt they are once in a life time unless you get a population control hunt. It is a $1630 this year. I hope I get lucky and finally draw. They are delicious animals. My African PH couldn't stop talking about how good they were.

Nice! What part of the range did you get her? In one of the non huntable parts just north of Holloman last summer we drove through a group of over 50 that were huge on the way to the Machinegun Range.

I am hoping to draw on the Military hunt this year. Putting in for Elk and Deer too. I hate how New Mexico does the draw for everything even deer. I miss Michigan where I can just go to the hardware get my tag and go fill the freezer. Nice kill though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR15KittyKat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding!

On range .</div></div>

Since the Oryx is an African animal, I assume it's from a hunting ranch, can you provide link to hunting ranch, Thanks

BTW, beautiful looking animal. </div></div>
Definitely not a hunting ranch. They are 100% wild-ass animals on the white sands missile range. The ranges are all low fenced and span 10's of thousands of acres. This was on Rhodes Canyon.

Nice!
the area looks just like the Karoo & Kalahari, I assume if not bothered they'll do well there & numbers'll grow...
come shoot one or two here, they go for about $375...
smile.gif

rgds
R-Raven

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR15KittyKat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding!

On range </div></div>

Since the Oryx is an African animal, I assume it's from a hunting ranch, can you provide link to hunting ranch, Thanks.

BTW, beautiful looking animal. </div></div>

You can hunt Oryx on the White Sands Military Base or off. Both require application / license draw program.

I can tell you hunting them off base can be a challenge, we have made several stalks only to find that the beasts were just on the other side of the fence!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RSA-Raven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!
the area looks just like the Karoo & Kalahari, I assume if not bothered they'll do well there & numbers'll grow...
come shoot one or two here, they go for about $375...
smile.gif

rgds
R-Raven </div></div>

They began the program in the 60's and they have flourished here. They have no real predators and adapted well to our desert environment. They introduced less than a hundred over a ten year span and now, numbers are being maintained at about 3,000.

Just got email from NMG&F around 7 PM that i had drawn for Oryx in Oct 2011 and i am all smiles!