• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My 2012 P&Y Wyoming Shiras Moose

4ester

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
49ADEB8E-5AAC-4987-91CF-34DC4DA2FEC8-4324-000007BEF3C1501C_zpsa8292224.jpg

Well I got the Wyoming Shiras Moose I have been chasing. He will easy go P&Y after the 60 day drying time. Measures at 44 1/2 wide, with 2 foot paddles on each side, with 11 points on the left, 10 on the right.

This hunt started 9/11 at a spot I have been seeing a great moose. I have been on him a couple times but he is smart. He winded us in two hunts prior so far, and with the 4 other bulls with him it is no easy feat getting within bow range.

I spot him over a mile away with one smaller bull and decide to make a move. I play the wind, and make a huge loop to keep it in my favor. I sneak within 100 yards. All of a sudden they freak out, coming by me at about 30 yards. NO SHOT. Standing in Willows 12 feet tall and thick, I can do nothing but watch them. They settle down, and come by me again. Again no shot. Things then quiet down, and I listen......I hear nothing. Assuming they have bedded down, I circle back around once again to get the wind in my favor. I spot the big bull about 25 yards away bedded. Again I cannot get a shot. The smart old bull had surrounded himself in water making it impossible to get any closer for a shot. So the waiting game begins.....

Two hours later I hear something to my left....and so does the moose. He rises and all in one motion turns facing my right offering a shot through a tiny hole. I draw and sink an arrow into him at about 30 yards. He runs a short distance and spins around. I take 5 steps to my left and I smoke him again, this time at 45 yards. The arrow passes the entire way through. He takes off for a final run and crashes 75 yards later.

What a hunt. For those interested on equipment Used: Hoyt Carbon Element 67#, Easton N-Fused with Slick Trick Standards, Limbdriver Pro-V, Copper John Sights, Tightspot Quivers, Carbon Blade Stab,

8A03EBBF-98E8-4426-A98B-1B6521C56933-4324-000007BF237CB037_zpscbacfb02.jpg

And my little girl was with her Pap, watching the whole thing go down from the top of the hill.
F752C75B-F30A-4B10-A73E-0CC246DA7FF0-4324-000007BF494951F0_zpsa5deeb9c.jpg

Re: My 2012 P&Y Wyoming Shiras Moose

Thats awesome. Very few people ever take a animal that big with a bow.

Wow! Great animal and what a hunt!! Congrats.

Well done! Besides a great trophy, you have a big freezer full of meat. Really good meat!

That was a very neat hunt. Got to hand it to you guys that hunt with archery gear as it is quite the challenge.

Very nice trophy!