• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 223 only likes slow loads. Any recommendations???

DMS1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Fenton, Mi
Trued rem 700 with 20" 1/8" twist proof research wrapped barrel, mcmillan htg edge, NXS 5-22x50. All shooting done prone off atlas bipod with a rear squeeze bag.

75gr amax - loaded to 2.480" (tried from lands to book length by .020" this was best)

Varget - 23gr sub 1/2" loads (5 shot groups)

N140 - 23.5 sub 1/2" (10 shot group)

These loads are near max by hornady standards, but hodgon has varget at 25 max and VV SHOWS 25.3 max. I ran both up to 26gr with no real pressure signs. Problem is the groups opened to 1.5" as I upped the loads. I went from min in .3gr increments.

75hpbt - loaded to 2.330"

Varget - 23gr sub 1/2"

N140 - 23.5 gr sub 1/2"

Same deal as vmax going to max

60gr vmax

Varget - barely sub MOA at lower loads, 2" near max

H335 ~.600" at 24gr all over the map to max

I'm kinda new at reloading, using rcbs dies, LC03 brass and federal 205 primers

I can accept these loads with the accuracy but would love to see an amax around 2900. No chrono yet, but I would expect under 2700 fps with the 75 gr loads. I have read about barrel time, etc. is there a slower powder that I can load to fuller case? All of these loads are less than ideal for case capacity, I can shake all of these loads and hear powder moving. The varget sure crunched above 24.5gr for compressed loads. Any advice? Does my gun just like these nodes

If it helps, black hills remanufactured 52 mhp shot with some groups in the .300 range. I have some hornady 52mhp but could not duplicate that performance either. I shot a wolf with these and lost it. Want to get the heavies working....

Hey, I use all those powders too. They all work great for me in their specific application.
You may want to give RL-15 a look. It could give you a little more MV and still keep you close to a node.
If your going to play around with that barrel time stuff you really need a chrono and QL.

B

I use all those powders too. They all work great for me in their specific application.
You may want to give RL-15 a look. It could give you a little more MV and still keep you close to a node.
If your going to play around with that barrel time stuff you really need a chrono and QL.

B

My load in my tikka t3 1:8 25" barrel is

Lapua match brass
Cci br4 primers
Varget 25.5gr
With either:
75gr amax - 2840fps
80gr berger vld's at 2970fps
Both seated 4 thou off the lands at 2.420"

Both group 1/4moa - 1/2 at 100 yards off a bipod in field conditions.

Anything less than 25gr starts opening up to around 1moa for me..
Still have a small amount of load dev to do to get them to keyhole but somewhere between 25.5 and 26gr of varget should be bang on for me.

Gary

You may just have a slow tube. You can try different powder. You may want to try a different primer also. I have seen a change in speed and accuracy with different primers. It might be a good idea to just stick with a good shooter and just crank the knobs more.

Tried a chrono today. 2650 at 300yards is 19" drop. 2900 would have me 3.3" less. I guess if I'm dialing Ill try it at longer distances and see how it goes. I will see if I can get my hands on some h380

Tried a chrono today. 2650 at 300yards is 19" drop. 2900 would have me 3.3" less. I guess if I'm dialing Ill try it at longer distances and see how it goes. I will see if I can get my hands on some h380

Looks about the same velocity with my Savage 12 with 26" barrel 1 in 9 at 2720FPS I've shot the 75gr Amax out to 1, 200 yards with 4/20 could be better with practice. I would stick with what you have now, I wouldn't trade consistency over velocity.

maybe try Pro-2000 as a powder...don't know about 223 but in 308, many say they are getting higher velocity with it.

rl15 25gn plus tends to work best for me in all my 223 stuff. even run some in the 26.5gn range. its crunchy. PS. I use small magnum primers.

23-24.0 H4895 with 77's should work great in that bolt gun. Another load I use in my bolt gun is the 75 Berger VLD jumping .035 with 25.0. H4895. 3025fps.

My bolt gun has a 24in brux 1/8 and is generally a good shooter with my normal AR15 loads, but when I bumped it up a little it really woke it up. Right now your loads are on the low end of AR15 data. Try going up past where you were when you pushed it,an the groups started opening up, and I think the groups will start to shrink back down.

Try VV N540 powder. Start at about the same as the VV N140 and work your way up.

Good Advice, if N140 is shooting for you the 540 almost always shoots well, and you'll almost always pick up some FPS.

In my Remington 700 SPS Varmint 1/12" twist, I have found that H335, 748, or R10X made a good load. I usually have an accurate node in the 22 range and another node in the restricted area. I moved up slowly and carefully watching for pressure signs. I'm confident that you'll find a load with a good powder that is accurate
and with reasonable speed. I shoot 40's at 3661 fps and 50's at 3470 fps on the higher node.
Best of Luck

I used CFE 223 on a rifle that seemed to like slow loads and averaged 200 FPS over my other loads with similar accuracy. Just another good powder to note.

maybe try Pro-2000 as a powder...don't know about 223 but in 308, many say they are getting higher velocity with it.

THIS

80gr Berger VLD jammed in the lands (long throated chamber)
26.3 2000MR
CCI sr primer Not BR
29" barrel
2885 average 5 shots
1/4 moa accurate from mine and 1 other guys 29" barreled rifles
this load showed no pressure signs in either rifle. As always back off at least 10% and work up.

From my 20 inch barreled match conditioned Service Rifle, using its iron sights and shooting prone with sling support, in 100 yard practice, I can for the most part stay under a half minute shooting the 80 grain Berger over 24.8 grains of RE-15 for about 2800 fps, which realizes my objectives, to get that bullet to 1000 yards nose-on and holding elevation. Cases are not reliable for further reloading. Bullets are seated ten thousandths off.

Last edited: