• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My .223AI is finally almost done *PICS*

*Nine

Tactical Operator
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
USA
3 months of waiting for my barrel and my gunsmith work paid off yesterday!
laugh.gif
I still have to inlet my stock a bit more for a good free float, but I wanted to throw it all together for a quick pic. Also, once I get the stock done I'll be painting the barrel black. Thanks to a bunch of guys here for answering my questions about doing things. I can't wait to get out and shoot this weekend!

DSCF9048.jpg

DSCF9044.jpg

Re: My .223AI is finally almost done *PICS*

sweet, mine should be done soon as well, just waiting on my stock.

What load are you planning on shooting?

Good looking rifle.....I'm going to have to try out one those 223AI's someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet, mine should be done soon as well, just waiting on my stock.

What load are you planning on shooting? </div></div>

I'll be shooting 75gr A-Max. It looks like guys are able to get 3000+ fps out of these with 20-22" barrels and a stout load without pressure signs. For now I'm using a middle-of-the-road charge of Varget along with my A-Maxes to fireform my Lapua brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick....you able to come out west?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...379#Post1239379

We will be shooting the 18th and 19th. </div></div>

I have a pistol match on the 19th, and I won't have any fireformed brass or a real load worked up by this weekend anyways, but I fully intend to come out with you guys in the future.

Beauty...we will be going agin in a few weeks once we get our T-shirts so maybe then.....you can play out to 1k yards!!

Beautiful! It looks good to me without the barrel being painted.

I have gotten vest groups and velocity with the 75 Amax bullets using RL15 powder. I shoot about 24.5 grains with either Rem Fed primers. I could probably go 25 grains but It shoots so darn good with 24.5, that I am not going to push it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking rifle.....I'm going to have to try out one those 223AI's someday.</div></div>

Nah...I hear they don't shoot....grin.

I ran home at during my lunchbreak and sanded the shit out of the stock. Now the barrel is actually free-floated. I re-assembled everything I'll head to the range after work. I really want to see how it shoots. I'll bed it and paint the barrel in the next few days. I'm just too excited not to shoot it this afternoon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm just too excited not to shoot it this afternoon.</div></div>

I don't blame you a bit. Let us know how it does.

I headed off to the range today after work. I only brought a box of Prvi M193 to get on paper with, and then 20 of my AMax loads to try for some accuracy and to fireform some of the Lapua brass. I've got 23.5gr of Varget in there and I'm seating the AMaxs into the lands a bit. It was also hot and sunny outside, and mirage was pissing me off. These are 5 shot groups.

I know flyers still count, but I knew the second I touched off the 5th round that I pulled it. DAMNIT. Anyways, this is included to indicate what the rifle's capable of. These 4 shots measure .422" - .224" = <span style="font-weight: bold">.198"</span> Holy shit. If I do my part, this rifle will shoot sub quarter-MOA. This isn't bad for a fireforming load that I made up in my head last night. Including the flier, it's .551"

DSCF9052.jpg

This next group was a followup to my almost-great group above. I was pissed off. I should have concentrated more. Still, .737" - .224" = <span style="font-weight: bold">.513"</span>

DSCF9053.jpg

Oh, and I figured I'd see how well the PRVI M193 shot. I aimed carefully and fired. I gave up after 3 shots. I guess it's better plinking ammo than benchrest ammo. :mamoru:

DSCF9054.jpg

looks good. hope it shoots that good after fire forming! if so, you got a winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good. hope it shoots that good after fire forming! if so, you got a winner. </div></div>Thanks. I loaded up some of my fireformed cases to take back to the range this afternoon. I'll see how it does.

What powder are you using in the formed cases? Both of mine and many 223AI drivers here run the RL15/75AMAX with excellent results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What powder are you using in the formed cases? Both of mine and many 223AI drivers here run the RL15/75AMAX with excellent results. </div></div>I'm using Varget. I only have like half a pound left, so I'm open to trying other powder.