• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My .260 Build

Savage_Jake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Louisville, KY
Here she is fellas.

This is my Savage 111 that was originally a .30-06. It is a pre-accutrigger model.

I have replaced a few things.

New mods are: SSS Competition Trigger, SSS Tactical Bolt handle, SSS Competition recoil lug, McGowen .260 Rem 28” Bull barrel 1:8 twist, Stockade Prairie Dog/Tactical stock.
DSCN3093.jpg

I cant wait to shoot this thing.

It has an EGW 20moa base and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 MD on it for now. I plan to get the PST when its available.

Range report coming soon.

DSCN3114.jpg

DSCN3115.jpg

DSCN3116.jpg

DSCN3117.jpg

Re: My .260 Build

.260 is great. You will love it. My most accurate gun is a .308 savage. You cant beat em for the price. Congrats

Looks like it will be very nice. This is my similar set-up in .223Rem.

PDT223REM-3.jpg

I have the stock textured, and painted now. Took it to the range the other day, and really like how it feels/fits. The McGowen barrel is great. Under 1/2 MOA at one hundred yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm interested to see how it shoots! </div></div>

Well maybe we can meet up saturday at Knob Creek.

I have some things to do tomorrow so it looks like saturday will be range day.

How did the rest of the loads work out?

The bolt throw on that salvage it the best I've ever felt!!! I thought mine was good until I played with that one!

You will love the 260 round! Nice looking rifle! I like your Savage too Luvman but Jake's rifle is a beast.

I'm thinking about 7-08 for mine. I better get set back up to reload
wink.gif

Very similar to mine, with identical barrel specs, exc. mine is an L-W.

Try Win 7mm-'08 brass necked down to .260 Rem (just run 'em through the F/L die), 142SMK touching, 43.7-44.0gr of H-4350, CCI BR-2 Primers.

Greg

Here are some pics of the day at the range. I shot some cheap hunting ammo to "break-in" the barrel.

These photos are with 142gr Sierra MK over IMR4350. The numbers posted are the amount of powder used.

DSCN3119.jpg

DSCN3120.jpg

DSCN3121.jpg

DSCN3122.jpg

The Flyer is all ME
DSCN3123.jpg

DSCN3124.jpg

DSCN3125.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you do the work yourself? Looks like a shooter! </div></div>

I put everything together. Setting headspace is a piece of cake. And the Savage barrel nut is what makes it so easy. This is the video I used as a guide on how to check headspace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICBv-0U87Y&feature=player_embedded

I see youre using a long action.... any reason behind that? Reason i ask is that i can get my hands on a LA for pretty cheap from a friend and am wanting to do a similar build but i thought the .260 was a SA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kink87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see youre using a long action.... any reason behind that? Reason i ask is that i can get my hands on a LA for pretty cheap from a friend and am wanting to do a similar build but i thought the .260 was a SA? </div></div>

I used the long action because I already HAD it for one. The other reason is, I can seat the bullets out further and still have the round fit the magazine. The .260 is a SA round. Its a .308 necked down to take a 6.5(.264) bullet. But it works well in a LA.