• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 2nd Attempt at Camo Painting

huntfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
This .223 is a little truck-gun project that was put together from parts laying around. Hust, does this barrel look familiar? Anyway, I had an action from who-knows-where and a HS Precision LTR stock that was left orphaned after I upraded the stock on a 308.

This go around I used a few more stencils. I reversed the last two colors in traditional GAP camo process. I tried to lighten my paint thickness but failed, I think. I was too paranoid about good coverage. The main "new" thing I tried was only using two color coats. The black on this stock is the original HS finish. I stenciled on top of the factory finish without a base coat. I was pleased to see that the factory finish is very close to the paint I used. After a few layers of clear coat, I think it will be about perfectly matched. I was able to do this stock in about 2 hours compared to 4 on my first go around. I can tell that this is gonna get addictive.

IMG_2573.jpg

Here is the first stock I tried. It looks good in the pic and it turned out fine. But I learned from a couple of mistakes that you can see if you look closely.

IMG_2517.jpg

Re: My 2nd Attempt at Camo Painting

BTW, I used BullDog Arms GAP stencils.

Lookin good. Now you just need to finish the job with the scope and barreled action.
smile.gif

all these painting threads have me wanting to paint my rifle!

But I do have a quick question...I'm gonna be having work done on my barrel and they was to charge me $120 to reblue it...can I just paint the barrel if I plug it and degrease it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BenelliFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all these painting threads have me wanting to paint my rifle!

But I do have a quick question...I'm gonna be having work done on my barrel and they was to charge me $120 to reblue it...can I just paint the barrel if I plug it and degrease it? </div></div>

Why not, painting or some other coating will likely yield a barrel that won't rust too.

Ah okay, just wanna make sure that I won't trap any moisture anywhere in it, a good acetone cleaning should work though, thanks!

Yep a nice clean looking job.