• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 300 Win Mag load data

Punkur67

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2019
    This is my first load development with a chronograph. What do you guys think about my next step here? I am shooting Berger 215 hybrids across a Magnetospeed V-3.

- 300 Win Mag
    - 215 Berger Hybrid
    - FC Brass
    - H1000 Powder
    - FGM larger Rifle primers
    - .015 off lands

It looks like my node is between 72.2 and 72.5 grains. I was going to load from 72.0 - 72.7 grains for the next round. Then work on seating depth.

Attachments

• 300 win mag Load-Analysis pdf.pdf
      48.5 KB · Views: 158
    My load for my AI-PSR 27in 1-10. Shoots under 1/2 moa all day and out to 2000 yards( does get hard to splash) at range.
    215Hy Berger
    215m
    Nosler Brass
    H1000 74.5gr
    COAL = 3.665
    Best groups were .020 off lands 10 off gave 1/2+ moa ish so did 15 off
    AVG FPS 2851
    AVG SD 10
    20 shot string to the avg's

Reactions: DIBBS
    This is my first load development with a chronograph. What do you guys think about my next step here? I am shooting Berger 215 hybrids across a Magnetospeed V-3.

- 300 Win Mag
    - 215 Berger Hybrid
    - FC Brass
    - H1000 Powder
    - FGM larger Rifle primers
    - .015 off lands

It looks like my node is between 72.2 and 72.5 grains. I was going to load from 72.0 - 72.7 grains for the next round. Then work on seating depth.

Id load 5 rounds of 72.7, 72.5, 72.3, 72.1 each and fire them over your chrono at a target 300 yards away. Whichever those yield the lowest SD, ES and vertical dispersion at 300 would be selected for further development and testing at 600/1000. I like to do 10 rounds over my lab radar at 600 and note the vertical. If MV, SD,ES are solid (low double digit/high single digit SD and <=1 MOA vertical dispersion) I call it good and put the load into production...otherwise I’ll mess with seating depth to see if I can get some improvement.

Any pressure signs? I’m not telling you to jump up to what I’m using but in my two 300WMs I use 75.9 in Nosler Brass and 77 in ADG. If no pressure there may be another node above that. Definitely don’t work up if pressures are there. I’m .030” off with 215 Berger’s. Just what I’ve seen not the gospel by any means.

Any pressure signs? I’m not telling you to jump up to what I’m using but in my two 300WMs I use 75.9 in Nosler Brass and 77 in ADG. If no pressure there may be another node above that. Definitely don’t work up if pressures are there. I’m .030” off with 215 Berger’s. Just what I’ve seen not the gospel by any means.
    No pressure signs yet. I can look for a higher node

In all the 300 win mags Ive messed with I've found the node to be around 75-75.5 of h1000 with the 215 hybrids. You seem to have a fast barrel, I never hit that speed at that low of a charge. I was about 2850 at 75 in the last one I messed with. If you dont have pressure I would continue up. Ive also had better luck with with hybrids at the lands or 20k off. But i'm bassackwards apparently because I prefer to dial my powder charge first then work on fine tuning eating depth then neck tension if I need to.

In all the 300 win mags Ive messed with I've found the node to be around 75-75.5 of h1000 with the 215 hybrids. You seem to have a fast barrel, I never hit that speed at that low of a charge. I was about 2850 at 75 in the last one I messed with. If you dont have pressure I would continue up. Ive also had better luck with with hybrids at the lands or 20k off. But i'm bassackwards apparently because I prefer to dial my powder charge first then work on fine tuning eating depth then neck tension if I need to.

Which brass are you running?

I really ran down the rabbit hole with the precision loading. I upgraded or added the following to my reloading setup to improve the numbers above

- K&M Neck turning kit
    - K&M primer pocket uniforming tool
    - K&M Flash hole uniforming tool
    - Upgraded dies to Redding "S" bushing dies set at .002 neck tencion
    - Upgraded press to a Forster Co-Ax
    - Upgraded powder throwing to an Autotrickler V3
    - Magnetospeed V3 chronograph

I started with new ADG brass on this work up. I am very happy with the numbers compared to my old setup. I am going to work the node and it looks like there may be another one at the top of my chart. I had no pressure signs yet either.

- ADG 300MW brass
    - Berger 215 Hybrid bullets
    - H1000 powder
    - Federal GM primers

300wm Load data 7-12-2020.JPG
    300wm Load data 2 7-12-2020.JPG

I really ran down the rabbit hole with the precision loading. I upgraded or added the following to my reloading setup to improve the numbers above

- K&M Neck turning kit
    - K&M primer pocket uniforming tool
    - K&M Flash hole uniforming tool
    - Upgraded dies to Redding "S" bushing dies set at .002 neck tencion
    - Upgraded press to a Forster Co-Ax
    - Upgraded powder throwing to an Autotrickler V3
    - Magnetospeed V3 chronograph

I started with new ADG brass on this work up. I am very happy with the numbers compared to my old setup. I am going to work the node and it looks like there may be another one at the top of my chart. I had no pressure signs yet either.

- ADG 300MW brass
    - Berger 215 Hybrid bullets
    - H1000 powder
    - Federal GM primers

View attachment 7372810View attachment 7372811
    Man this chart is legit! The results too! I have the same components going to start working up soon. Thanks for sharing

I loaded some more a little hotter and finally settled on 77.1.
    I am very happy with all the single digit SD's. All the new gear is definitely paying off
    300wm Load data.1 10-7-2020.JPG
    300wm Load data 10-7-2020.JPG
    300wm Load data.2 10-7-2020.JPG

I just finished up my testing using the same graph you sent me the link to using the same power charge weights and components. .015”
    off the lands. I settled on 76.8!

I’m going to test seating depth a lil bit more next.
    7202D4D2-66B0-40DD-AA26-F02F1E10BA88.jpeg
    4141E464-CF10-4F86-8F38-58222CF289AA.jpeg

hey everyone, just getting into reloading so i am following data from the manuals. Berger only lists the 210 and 230 grn bullets with data in their manual yet i know the 215 is available and many of you seem to use.
    Any reason why they dont publish the 215?
    Any of using the 230 with good results?

hey everyone, just getting into reloading so i am following data from the manuals. Berger only lists the 210 and 230 grn bullets with data in their manual yet i know the 215 is available and many of you seem to use.
    Any reason why they dont publish the 215?
    Any of using the 230 with good results?

I run the 215 since I have a 1:10 twist barrel and I want a little more speed than the 230s

Ok thanks. I am awaiting on a new build with a 28” barrel with 1;9 twist. Damn is it hard to find powder right now. I have some h4350 (was going to use it for my 264wm) but perhaps i use for the 300wm for now just to get started?

Ok thanks. I am awaiting on a new build with a 28” barrel with 1;9 twist. Damn is it hard to find powder right now. I have some h4350 (was going to use it for my 264wm) but perhaps i use for the 300wm for now just to get started?
    I am running 70.1gr of H4831sc in lapua brass and 69.5gr in Hornady brass shooting 220gr ELDX 0.015" off the lands.
    CBTO: 2.850"
    COAL: 3.519"
    Average ES 15
    Average SD 5.5
    MV Average 2815 fps
    I've worked up a similar load with IMR4955 that works too.
    Looking at the burn rate chart and the hornady manual the h4350 will not give you good speeds with heavier bullets. Anything over 180grns. Just my opinion. Never hurts to try though.

Thanks for the input, yes I saw the slower speed but thought it might be ok to just do some shooting with while I get more familiar with reloading, I guess I will save it for my 264wm....But found some imr 7828ssc that I am going to try. Seems like it gets good speed , close to the h1000 / retumbo / rl26 powders. Will see how I do with this

Thanks for the input, yes I saw the slower speed but thought it might be ok to just do some shooting with while I get more familiar with reloading, I guess I will save it for my 264wm....But found some imr 7828ssc that I am going to try. Seems like it gets good speed , close to the h1000 / retumbo / rl26 powders. Will see how I do with this
    I've heard good things about the 7828ssc. Worth a shot. I like the H4831sc because of the temp stability. Im in Wyoming where it was -20 last Monday and 60 today. It does well. The IMR enduron powders are supposed to do well and the IMR4955 enduron powder is a direct replacement for the H4831sc. It does match up well. I also like the H4831sc because I've been able to find it locally. In the end use what you have available.

Ok i will take a look at h4831sc / imr 4955as well. That 7828ssc at midway has already been sold out, must have gotten lucky in my timing for the order!
    Well the way things are right now and if the election goes the wrong way, we may be making our own powders soon.

I still need to work up loads for my Win Mag. My local gun store had Retumbo. So I snatched it before it got gone. I'll try A4350 and some others also, but the Retumbo was a good score I feel.

Reactions: Speed
    You struck gold finding retumbo. Ive been on the list at 3 stores for retumbo and h1000 for months. Just got my 1st pound of h1000 Thursday. Awesome find. How much were you able to get. You have to figure each pound has 7000 grains of powder in it. Im running just over 70 grains per round so I get about 96 rounds per pound. To do load development I make sure I have at least 2 lbs of the powder preferably from the same lot.

I use this chart to check burn rates for powders. It goes from fastest to slowest. Its a good reference tool. I actually have it hanging on the wall in front of my reloading bench.
    20201031_150839.jpg

I was stunned to see it, I wasn't even looking for it or H1000 because they are so non-existent at the moment. They just had one 1 lb. bottle and I got it.

Reactions: JBarton