• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report My .308 Ladder Test Results

Josh Elam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
Memphis
This is my first time hand loading on my own. I loaded 70 rounds total with 10 rounds on 42.5, 43.0, 43.5, 44.0, 44.5, 45.0gr of varget inside once fired winchester full length sized brass, Fed gm210m primers, smk175, at 2.800". I was expecting to see groups open up and then tighten back as I went through the different charges. Here is my target
12%253A16%253A12%2520groups.jpg

I shot these prone off a atlas bipod and rear bag. I'm not a perfect shot and I know I pulled 3 of the shots but didnt note which ones they were at the time. It was a windy day but I tried my best to wait for it to slow between shots. I expected to see more variation in the groups then I would concentrate around those. What do you guys suggest I do next? None of the brass showed pressure signs so I will also take a step over 45gr. These were at 100 yards and I will reshoot some at 300 yards. Any input?

Re: My .308 Ladder Test Results

Good shooting. I would work up from 45.0 in smaller increments. I usually work in 0.2 increments until I get pressure signs then go 0.1 either way depending on groups.

What were your muzzle velocity deviations? If you didn't run a chrono, or can't get access to one, run them at 300 or more and see what vertical dispersion you have.

might have a mode at 43.0 and it might be drifting back into a higher mode at 45.0, but both of these calls are just guesses.
I might just pick 45.0, shoot it at longest distance possible for vertical dispersion and if that is good, call it a load and get shooting.

Need more info on gun/barrel length/scope etc...

300yds for the ladder test will show you a heck of a lot more. I don't really think you can get the info you want at 100yds.

I've loaded up 50 rounds of 45gr to shoot at steel from 300 to 800. no real testing there just fun and i can compare my dope to 175 black hills i have in my data book. it is about 25 degrees colder here now though. I do want to do this again at 300 and ill probably go .5gr lower and take some small steps above 45.0gr. i really want to see some decent dispersion. The rifle is a Stiller action, shilen 23" barrel (its very thick but i don't know the contour of hand), aic stock, thunder beast brake. ill have a chrono next time go out also. thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downhill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300yds for the ladder test will show you a heck of a lot more. I don't really think you can get the info you want at 100yds. </div></div>

+1
load work @ 100 is pointless

Went out today and shot the same charges but also included 45.5gr and black hills 175 which did very well.
100 yard group from before
12%253A16%253A12%2520groups.jpg

20121223_163256.jpg

20121223_163359.jpg

20121223_163415.jpg

The wind was blowing about 6-10 mph but I did my best to wait for it to die down but it picked up on a few shots. I dont remember which ones though. 42.5 looks like the low node and 44.5 to 45.5 looks good also. Primers still look good at 45.5 but it was 53 degrees out today. Should I continue upward or just focus on 45.0gr Varget? I should have a chrono in the next few days to check the velocity. On the yellow target I was just finishing off some ammo and adjusted the scope on the 45.0 group .1mil down. What do you guys see?

Josh

You can borrow my chrono anytime you want.

I'd load a bunch at 45.5 and do .05 OAL in currents . See if that tightens it any more??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Josh

You can borrow my chrono anytime you want. </div></div>

Thanks, if Santa doesn't bring one I'll deffinatly take you up on that. When you switched from Serra 175 to amax 178 did a Chang your charge weight?

I'm loaded to 2.80 mag length. Is there a way to get tighter to the lands and still fit into the mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd load a bunch at 45.5 and do .05 OAL in currents . See if that tightens it any more?? </div></div>

Should I take small steps higher until I see flatened primers, sticking bolt, or accuracy go away? 45.0 and 45.5 do look nice right now.

Did you find anything new Josh? I would be surprised if you could get more than 45-45.5. That is cooking for the 175's. I would just mess with seating depth, shooting at 3-500 yds to see what you get. You are already getting great groups- sometimes it becomes an exercise in diminishing returns.

Downhill is correct in my opinion. 300 yards will give clearer information. Your rifle is shooting well. You need more distance to make better decisions.

What you are showing here isn't a ladder test.

This would be a ocw test. A ladder test would be at 300 or so and have the same bulls eye for every shot.
Say you started at 42.0 gr and went up in .3gr.
you get the idea.
This would show the nodes on your rifle and make selecting a load to fine tune easier. Doing this with a proven chrono would be a good idea.

R

On my last set of targets I posted I just noticed that I didn't note that the first target is 100 yard and that target 2,3,and 4 is at 300 yards. I havnt done any more testing but I have shot 250 rounds at 45.0 gr varget under 178 amax. I'll have to look at my log book for exact numbers but I needed way less elevation to hit at 800 than my 2 friends shooting 175 black hills. One of them is shooting a 18" barrel so that one was expected. What to try next and at which distance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This would be a ocw test. A ladder test would be at 300 or so and have the same bulls eye for every shot.
Say you started at 42.0 gr and went up in .3gr.
you get the idea.
This would show the nodes on your rifle and make selecting a load to fine tune easier. Doing this with a proven chrono would be a good idea.

R </div></div>

^This.
You are basically doing OCW. OCW should be done at 00 yards and ladder at 300 yards. I don't know if you have it so here is the link to detailed instructions for OCW:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

It is a good read. BTW, your shooting skills are very strong.
Good luck!

Out of my 20" savage, 45 grains of Varget is pushing a 175 SMK at 2660. I use full legnth sized winchester brass, Wolf large rifle primers and I load to 2.81. This is a max load in my rifle and it just starts to flatten the primers a bit. My SD is 9, so it performs well at distance and allows me to push a little past 1,000 yds while staying supersonic.

Josh,

Where did you get those yellow targets at? I really like them

You can test at different ranges and get different numbers. 200 to 300 yards is a good range to test at. I wouldn't go any farther out due to the chance of environmental factor’s getting in the way. Set a parameter for your tests, such as 1 MOA or less. Once you find a load that meets that criteria go with it. You can fine that load if you want just don't spend all of your time testing. I'm not sure all the time and effort spent to gain that 1/4 MOA is worth it unless you are shooting bench rest competitions.

As for your test it really isn't a true ladder test, but it looks like the best group was shot with 44.5 and 45.0 grains. I would stay within these weights.

The local range had the yellow targets in the clubhouse. I'll see if I can find out who makes them. I don't shoot there as much anymore as we have a private farm with steel out over 1000 yards. I'm shooting a class this weekend that had up shoot over a chrono with 5 shots.
Again with 45.0 gr varget, 178 amax, Winchester brass sized to 2.08" and oal 2.875. We shot out to 800 yards today. I'm using shooter ballistics with 2775 loaded in and it's dead on so far. We will shoot 1k tomorrow. Is there a down side to running a .308 this fast?

If it were me, I would work around that 44.5 load and load them at .1 up and down, and see what they do over a chrono.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Elam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local range had the yellow targets in the clubhouse. I'll see if I can find out who makes them. I don't shoot there as much anymore as we have a private farm with steel out over 1000 yards. I'm shooting a class this weekend that had up shoot over a chrono with 5 shots.
Again with 45.0 gr varget, 178 amax, Winchester brass sized to 2.08" and oal 2.875. We shot out to 800 yards today. I'm using shooter ballistics with 2775 loaded in and it's dead on so far. We will shoot 1k tomorrow. Is there a down side to running a .308 this fast?</div></div>

I know your getting really good results..... But you'd gain a pretty good bit of speed with power pro 2000 mr. Not trying to convert you but I was running 45 grains of varget and a 175 out of a gap crusader with a 22" bartlein at 2690. I switched to power pro and with 48.0 grains and a 175 smk I'm now at 2775 with even better accuracy. I got 2 8 # jugs of varget now that I will use for my other rifles. Like I said, just throwing it out there. You look great where your at!

Oh and speed only means you can shoot a bit farther. If its an accurate load. And it means less barrel life. Speed isn't the most imp thing but it damn sure helps if your shooting lr or matches trying to buck the wind

deleted my comment on ladder test... in short, 1 shot per load, look for closest grouping vertical shots.

Is your speed to fast? Only if the pressure signs indicate so. Is there any cratering or flattening, heavy ejector smear, bolt easy to open?