• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My .308 PSR Build Journal

XRanger08

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2014
Pennslyvania
Hello everyone,

I am a new member on for forum but I have been crawling through all the posts for several months now. For my first post on the hide I plan on doing a Picture and text build journal of my custom bolt gun. This will be updated periodically on the progress of the build with pictures and brief description of what was done and what the next step will be. Most of the build items are already set in stone as I have been working on this build for months now. Some items might change, the proposed build list will be done in descending order from Highest price item to lowest.

PROPOSED BUILD PLAN:

Scope: Leupold Mark6 with H59 Reticle or Schimidt & Bender PMII with MSR Reticle

Chassis: Cadex Defense Strike Lite

Suppressor: SureFire 7.62 SOCOM MINI

Action: Stryker Ridge HTR by Defiance Machine with Extra Deep Fluting

Bi-Pod: Long Range Accuracy Tactical Bi-Pod or Atlas with QD

Barrel: Krieger #10 Contour MTU .30cal 5R 416SS 29" Blank cut to 22" or 20"/ Will be fluted to match the Defiance Extra Deep Fluting on the bolt

Scope Mount: BoBro QD 34mm One Piece Mount or Sphur 34mm One Piece Mount

Trigger: Timney Calvin Elite 700 or Rifle Basix 700

Muzzle Break: Surefire 5/8x24 RH Muzzle Break

Monopd: Accu-Shot

Bolt Knob: Surgeon Tactical

The entire gun will go for QPQ process on every metal surface as the finish for the rifle.

Chose .308 for a few reasons.

Barrel Life
Commonality of ammo
Couple thousand rounds of 168 SMK ammunition next to the gun safe.

XRanger08

Last edited:
Just gotta ask...why are you calling it a PSR build? Because of the stock? Because I don't think the actual PSR uses just about any of those parts does it?

PSR- Precision Rifle Build

Chose it for more of a title reason. "Sniper Rifle" to me would be arrogant as I am not a Sniper. PSR while it does have sniper in the acronym was chosen more for the fact that the PSR program for the military was mostly about upgrading old stock with modern parts. It just seemed more of a proper name to me. The Remington MSR chassis was co-designed by Cadex Defense and if you compared pictures of the two you would see they are about 100% identical. The exception being the butt stock and the first few inches of the forearm are different to fit what the military wanted for the butt stock design and the forearm difference is for the barrel change feature that was required for the PSR program.

XRanger08

Last edited:
UPS was good to me today. Got my Krieger Barrel in the mail at home and my local FFL got my Defiance Machine HTR Action in! Below are a few pics of both components.

IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG

I would go with the regular socom can instead of the mini. I have a buddy who just got his out of jail and it's less than impressive.

I would go with the regular socom can instead of the mini. I have a buddy who just got his out of jail and it's less than impressive.

The SureFire Mini is sharing a place with my SCAR17s, Tikka T3 .308 for hunting, and my Ruger SR556. The compact size is great for the other three applications. I have a friend with the SureFire 7.62 regular SOCOM and the YHM .30 (Phantom I believe is the model). I plan on getting a decibel meter in the future and comparing the readings. That will be for another thread in the not so near future though.

I cant associate surefire with precision based units. Get the thunder beast 5 or 7" cans.

Update To The Build

It has been awhile since I have posted any updates but like for most people life and work can get busy. The biggest updates are I have gotten the bolt back with the Extra Deep Fluting from Defiance Machine, gotten in the Surefire Muzzle Break for the rifle, got the paperwork sent out for the Surefire Suppressor to the BATFE, and sent everything out to the gunsmith to be worked on. I will post pics and my thoughts on the fluting that was done to the bolt tomorrow. I have to run to the gunsmith and pick up my Tikka T3 in .308 that will also be receiving a SureFire Muzzle Break. I will try to get a few pics of the progress to my build while I am at the Gun Smiths if he has the time to allow me to snap a few with my phone.

IMG_1004.jpg
I like the overall size of the suppressor. While it might not be the perfect one for a Long Range Rifle build, it fits in well with the other rifles that I also intend to use it with.
IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1014.JPG
The muzzle brake has a very nice visual appeal in my opinion. The Black IonBond DLC finish has a very nice rich color, a lot nicer color then the flash hiders I put on my SCAR17s and Ruger SR556. The break has a generous dual chamber design for it's relatively slim design since it has to allow for the SOCOM Suppressor to go over it.

A little later then I wanted to get these pics posted but better late then never they say! The bolt fluting is very nicely done from a machining standpoint and Defiance did a great job polishing it up without rounding off the squared tops of the flutes. The trick now is going to be able to find someone who can match the fluting and apply it to the Krieger barrel. Going to try Pro Precision Rifles and/or Twisted Barrel and see if they will be able to match the fluting style. My gunsmith said that the fluting would be simply to replicate and said it could be done with an old school end mill. My fingers are crossed that it will be an easy job for either of the two highly regarded gunsmiths!

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

The barrels will be going out to Marty at Twisted Barrel tomorrow. The Cadex Defense Chassis are also suppose to be delivered some time late next week. I will take a before and after weight of the barrel so I can see how much is removed from the fluting process.

Cadex Chassis came in today! Give me a few days until I have off from work and I will post a lot of pics. I will include a lot of different angles so everyone can see the superb quality and superb craftsmanship that goes into the chassis and why it is DEFINATELY worth saving $2,400 to use in a custom build!

IMG_1056.JPG
More to come in a few days!

As promised here are a bunch of pics (20+) of my new Cadex Defense Strike Lite SA Chassis! This chassis is extremely well built and beautiful! Cadex did not cut any corners when it came to the machining process. Anything that could have been left alone or added was done. All of the rail sections have guides on the bottom of them so they align the screw holes perfectly on the forearm. The folding mechanism is very strong and locks up tight. The adjustments on the butt stock couldn't be any easier. The cheek pad can even come off with a screw and slide forward or backwards in 1/4 inch increments for that perfect cheek weld. Cadex also sends the chassis with a right and left cheek pad standard. I was not expecting this nor do I really need it but it was just a nice extra to have. Opening the box the first thing you see is your chassis manual on top of the styrofoam in a bag with your easy to lose screws along with it. I can't say enough good things about the workmanship of the chassis. Cadex machines in a very generous recoil lug area so fitting most over sized lugs should not be a problem. There was only one flaw in the whole chassis and it is so minor it is really nothing. One of the holes on the alternate cheek pad still had a little plastic that wasn't drilled out. You can see it in the pics but it was easily fixed with a triangle hobby knife blade. In my opinion, and I am not just saying this because I already paid for it. The Cadex Strike Lite Chassis is DEFINITELY worth the money!!

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1061.jpg
You can see the alternate cheek pad in the top left hand corner of the box.

IMG_1060.jpg

More Pictures! Damn this 5 attachment limit! I also wish I could figure out how to post the pics so you can just view them in large format like I see other people manage to do.

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

More Pictures!

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1071.JPG
You can see the adjustment options available to slide the cheek pad forward or back.

IMG_1072.JPG
The ONLY Flaw!

It was another good week from USPS! The first thing I got was the barrel back from Marty at Twisted Barrel. If anyone needs any fluting done to any part of their gun I definitely recommend Marty. It was only a TWO DAY turnaround time from the time Marty received the barrels and called to tell me that they are on the way back to me. That fast of a turnaround time should be enough for anyone to consider sending their parts out to Twisted Barrel. The second thing I received in the mail today was my Rifle Basix ERV-3-k 4oz-20oz adjustable trigger. This is my first time using a Rifle Basix trigger in a rifle build. I have heard nothing but good reviews about them and my gunsmith highly recommended the company. The trigger was a standard drop design. The trigger had a nice width to it but did not feel like it was to much, st least not for my finger anyways. I am definitely looking forward to trying out this new trigger as my experience is limited to factory and Timney triggers.

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1084.jpg

Just got the Sphur mount, Atlas Bipod, and Accu-shot monopod in the mail today. The quality of the Sphur mount is obvious right off the bat and the bubble level is easy to pick up with my non dominate eye. 10 minutes later I got a call from my gunsmith giving me an update on my rifle. I should be receiving my rifle by the end of the month! As soon as I get it I will post pictures.

Just got to get down to my gunsmiths place and check my rifle before final assembly. The rifle looks great. Gunsmith said it was one of his best chambers he has done. There was Zero runout across the entire chamber. Only bad news was with the Surgeon Bolt knob. The length of the knob was putting a lot of caming power to the bolt body and the action raceway so it wasn't a super smooth action like the Defiance usually is. Going to be scrapping the Surgeon Knob and going with the ball knob that the action came with.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410398171.243851.jpg

Today was a great day! Got the rifle back from the gunsmith! I get to spend my next two days off from work breaking in the barrel. Already have everything I need. Possum Hollow Bore Guide, .30 cal bore patches, .30 cal cleaning Jag, Tipton cleaning rod, and plenty of WipeOut cleaning foam. I have attached a pic of the rifle bare and a pic with the future items to be attached tomorrow. The rifle is almost done, just have to break in the barrel and then have the rifle broken down and sent out to Ohio for QPQ.

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

Whats barrel break in?? Go shoot it! Cool stuff regardless!

Barrel break in is generally the process of firing live ammo through your barrel and cleaning between each shot. The bullet going through the barrel, in essence, removes microscopic spurs from the rifling and removes it from contacting the bullet in the rifling and possibly changed the accuracy. This is theoretical and there are tons of different view points in whether or not the process is needed or even effective. I usually just give it a box of ammo if that cleaning between rounds.

Barrel break in is generally the process of firing live ammo through your barrel and cleaning between each shot. The bullet going through the barrel, in essence, removes microscopic spurs from the rifling and removes it from contacting the bullet in the rifling and possibly changed the accuracy. This is theoretical and there are tons of different view points in whether or not the process is needed or even effective. I usually just give it a box of ammo if that cleaning between rounds.

My internet sarcasm sucks. Sorry I know what it is. I was just saying go shoot the dang thing! Brake in is overrated!

Ah! Yeah, I'm only giving it about 10 rounds for break in. My guess would be that the "spurs" would be gone in atleast the first shot.

Yup! It will speed up as you get rounds through it too. I don't even bother with break in on a .308 I see no point especially since that barrel will last ~6000 rounds? My thinking is whats 5 rounds cleaning between each one going to do that a 100+ then a clean won't?

Yep, I figure a hand lapped Krieger barrel is already "debured" so break in is a thought from the old days but I'll indulge for the experience.

Really?

My AICS rem 700 AAC, 20" bbl, with Bushnell DMR in badger rings weighs 16 and some change.... Hmm.

I did not weigh it with the scope in the Spuhr rings. I'll weigh it again fully decked out with bipod, monopod, and loaded 10 round magazine tomorrow.

Got everything broken down and ready to go to H&M metals in Ohio to receive the QPQ finish. The Barrel, Action, Recoil Lug, Bolt Release, Bolt Body, Bolt Knob, and Bolt Shroud will all be receiving the QPQ treatment. Going with a mild Satin black finish similar to The Smith&Wesson M&P Pistol line since H&M is the same company who treats their firearms along with many other manufacturers.

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.JPG

I'm confused....2 barrels and 2 actions? You are building two of these dudes?

Cool deal. I usually don't care for spiral fluting, but under the chassis it is pretty attractive. I too want to see a range report when you get it all wrapped up.

Cool deal. I usually don't care for spiral fluting, but under the chassis it is pretty attractive. I too want to see a range report when you get it all wrapped up.

Rifles did .78/.75 MOA @100M with bottom barrel PMC .308. Range was pretty packed being a Sunday so I got a little rushed and bombarded by follower shooters at the range, but I think that is a good group for Cheap PMC. Didn't bust out the good 168 Matchkings yet. I want to see how the PMC does after the QPQ. Then I will bust out the Matchkings followed by some hand loads a week or so later.

Last edited:
Very respectable given the ammo. My maiden voyages with a new gun never produce nice groups. I get to excited and pumped about shooting. Too focused on the result and not the shooting.

I here you man. When I first my Tikka T3 .308 I was just having a blast with it and was just throwing rounds due to hurrying shots just to make it go bang.

Tracking info says I will get my parts back from QPQ Process at H&M Metals tomorrow. Can't wait to take a look at how the finish is get all the stuff back to he smith for FINAL assembly. Will post plenty of picks of all the parts with before and after pics.