• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My .308s at 300 yards

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Well this section of the forums is as good as any because I will be eventually shooting both bolt and semi.

When I go to the range I like to have a “reason” and sometimes “just because it’s the range” is not enough.

My “reason” will be to shoot my .308s at 300 yards and see how they do.

Conditions will vary and it will probably take a year or more as infrequently as I shoot.

I will try to use same target if I have enough of them.

First shot cold bore.

Scope adjustments on second shot only and than shoot the 18 where they fall with no further adjustment and same point of aim.

Because my town is retarded I’ll start with this seen on my way to the range.

27D42BEB-54FB-4B7B-8AC5-78251FB34082.jpeg

Illegal leg hold traps! WTF! How's a kid supposed to earn some change these days? I guess they prefer he just deal drugs.
    I bet my neighbors that have not seen their cat “Panther” since we heard it getting mauled middle of the night on our porch and found it’s collar at the scene of the crime want more trapping.

Cold bore was six o’clock in the circle.

Last edited:
    Murphy ate your ass when you said, "Hey guys, watch me do this!" Rather than say, "Did you see me do that?" LOL

Reactions: DJL2
    When I could afford to shoot centerfire on a somewhat daily basis a long while ago. We would go pick up clay birds that assholes left behind on the ground.

We would go and spread them on the berm and go back and shoot off the 540yd hill. Was a fun time. We had 630yd and 910yd spot. This public range went away....we have a multi bay 300yd public range now. Just shoot rimfire mostly now.
    FB_IMG_1698594269355.jpg

Thread caught my eye having a soft spot for 308 and thought the rifle looked familiar. I think I have an idea how it'll shoot.

• Haha
    Reactions: pmclaine
    I need to get up there and check it out and see about joining. I’m already a member at Hopkinton and Southboro, but I wouldn’t mind some of the extra things Harvard offers

I need to get up there and check it out and see about joining. I’m already a member at Hopkinton and Southboro, but I wouldn’t mind some of the extra things Harvard offers
    Harvard is great.

Of what it offers though I use very little.

Action pistol is huge.

Guys in orange all over the place wishing the pheasant would leave the range lanes.

Acres of land to hunt and camp on.

I’m only either at the 100 or 300 and pistol on occasion.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Average guy
    Which club?

Harvard Sportsmens……

Harvard is great.

Of what it offers though I use very little.

Action pistol is huge.

Guys in orange all over the place wishing the pheasant would date leave the range lanes.

Acres of land to hunt and camp on.

I’m only either at the 100 or 300 and pistol on occasion.

Either of you gents tried the Madison Avenue Rod, Gun, Bloody Mary, and Labrador Retriever Benevolent Association? I hear it is amazing. I bet @sirhrmechanic has.

Last edited:
    Surprised the Environmental Police haven’t caught up to you for firing that weapon without an attached DEF system.

Let alone the noise pollution that you are causing. That noise reverberates around the planet for eternity.

Surprised the Environmental Police haven’t caught up to you for firing that weapon without an attached DEF system.

Let alone the noise pollution that you are causing. That noise reverberates around the planet for eternity.
    They would lock you up if you tried to quiet the guns down.

I live in bizzaro world.

WTF…..you said same size targets. Why are you using the Fudd 100 yarder?

52ACC714-375D-42EE-BA72-07EE146824B3.jpeg

I have an excuse.

Reactions: Average guy
    These field parrots avoiding the executioner….

FF18E04C-18F5-45FC-B4CB-32D37E6E575E.jpeg

Not the greatest.

image.jpg

It took awhile for me to settle in.

The real zero for this rifle are those rounds circled.

96EB228F-6846-4D30-956F-75BD21A16B9B.jpeg

Has anyone ever worn a plastic clutch of Federal ammo on their belt?

DB609AEC-EEDA-4EE8-8E3B-B670CE1EDC82.jpeg

white box…you must have bought a container a long time ago

Reactions: XP1K
    When I was a teenager I wore those plastic things from Federal on my belt when hunting because I thought it was “cool”. I didn’t like Federal ammo for hunting back then though so I put my own hand loads in them (30-06, 165 Sierra Game King spitzer boat tails).

white box…you must have bought a container a long time ago
    My “Honey Hole” spot had a case of 500 in inventory addressed to Danvers MA PD.

Most of his inventory comes from estates.

Something tells me Grandpa was a retired Danvers PO and he didn’t come down to breakfast one morning.

His expected lifetime of deer ammo became mine for $150 out the door.

image.jpg

Last edited:
    When I was a teenager I wore those plastic things from Federal on my belt when hunting because I thought it was “cool”. I didn’t like Federal ammo for hunting back then though so I put my own hand loads in them (30-06, 165 Sierra Game King spitzer boat tails).
    Wow!

You are “the guy”.

I mean this - it is amazing to know and meet you.

Excellent riffle to be precise.
    I think it prefers being coppered.

I broke my rules for this game today.

I started with my last 300 zero and clean cold bore was low right 1700 and in the 6 ring line.

I made a bold adjustment up two MOA, left three MOA and ended up top left outside the rings.

Went back to 0/0 which got me 2300 in the 7 ring.

That was supposed to be it for adjustments but I could not let my girl put ‘em all at 2300 for 7s.

I went -2/1R and slung the rest of them there. At about shot 7 they started to settle in the 9 ring at 1700.

Thinking if I had of left it at my established 300 zero they would have been more centered.

On this cleaning I’m just oiling the barrel to remove carbon and get the bore protected.

I won’t hit it with anything to remove copper.

Maybe I’ll bring this guy back later and fire another twenty with my theories in mind.

And!

These 55 year old eyes are not seeing that FSP like they should so let’s not blame the rifle.

I think something got lost in the translation...(?)
    No. I’m only kidding.

If I actually owned a center fire rifle as a teen I would probably have worn the plastic cartridge holder also.

.22 didn’t come in plastic belt carriers though.

visiting my grandmother in PEI during summers I did buy a small leather shoulder pouch that I carried my pellets in.

I thought I was some Revolution soldier pulling cartridges out of my across the chest carried pouch.

And of course because I had no clue what dudes were doing when biting the ends off of paper wrapped cartridges I carried my “ready” load of three or four lead pellets in my mouth to feed my break action pellet rifle which probably explains a lot about who I am.

No. I’m only kidding.

If I actually owned a center fire rifle as a teen I would probably have worn the plastic cartridge holder also.

.22 didn’t come in plastic belt carriers though.

visiting my grandmother in PEI during summers I did buy a small leather shoulder pouch that I carried my pellets in.

I thought I was some Revolution soldier pulling cartridges out of my across the chest carried pouch.

And of course because I had no clue what dudes were doing when biting the ends off of paper wrapped cartridges I carried my “ready” load of three or four lead pellets in my mouth to feed my break action pellet rifle which probably explains a lot about who I am.
    Oh, I get it now! I misread your initial question as "Anyone else ever use them?" I though you were saying you had.
    Yes, I hunted every afternoon after school. I got a Rem 742 Woodsmaster in .30-06 when I was 13. My "dream rifle" after obsessing over the ads in F&S, Outdoor Life, and Southern Outdoors every month. By the time I was 16, we would often jump-shoot deer in clear cuts. In my over-exuberant youth I "may" have emptied a mag on more than one occasion - quick, instinctive type shooting. I couldn't afford a spare mag, so the free carrier provided by Federal looked cool to a teenager and carried the extra ammo if I happened to have one of these mag-dump moments. Fortunately, they were pretty rare. I was good enough at it to rarely miss, leading me to over-confidently believe I couldn't...until every now and then when I did. Then the mag would get emptied, each shot building the disbelief of watching this stupid deer run off unaware that he was "dead". :ROFLMAO:

Oh, and yes - I definitely carried a lot of Benjamin .177 pellets around in my mouth for my Daisy Powerline 880. But I feel like I suffered no ill effects from it. And not only that, I feel like I suffered no ill effects from it.

Oh, I get it now! I misread your initial question as "Anyone else ever use them?" I though you were saying you had.
    Yes, I hunted every afternoon after school. I got a Rem 742 Woodsmaster in .30-06 when I was 13. My "dream rifle" after obsessing over the ads in F&S, Outdoor Life, and Southern Outdoors every month. By the time I was 16, we would often jump-shoot deer in clear cuts. In my over-exuberant youth I "may" have emptied a mag on more than one occasion - quick, instinctive type shooting. I couldn't afford a spare mag, so the free carrier provided by Federal looked cool to a teenager and carried the extra ammo if I happened to have one of these mag-dump moments. Fortunately, they were pretty rare. I was good enough at it to rarely miss, leading me to over-confidently believe I couldn't...until every now and then when I did. Then the mag would get emptied, each shot building the disbelief of watching this stupid deer run off unaware that he was "dead". :ROFLMAO:
    F&S was my internet of the day.

Many a day it arrived in the mailbox I found my teenage self rising from the toilet to find my legs below the knee no longer took commands and I had to hold onto the sink until blood flow was re-established.

I would write and send letters for all the catalogs in the back of the magazine - one I remember was I think “Van something” taxidermy in Nebraska. I got a cool glossy catalog full of eyeballs and foam deer heads.

Gave my son a subscription to F&S but it didn’t take hold like it did with me. Too many other distractions.

Gave my son a subscription to F&S but it didn’t take hold like it did with me. Too many other distractions.
    Well then, I hope you were able to appreciate my reference to the Madison Avenue Rod, Gun, Bloody Mary, and Labrador Retriever Benevolent Society earlier in this thread. I always saved Ed Zern's column for "dessert" after I had read everything else in the issue.

Many a day it arrived in the mailbox I found my teenage self rising from the toilet to find my legs below the knee no longer took commands and I had to hold onto the sink until blood flow was re-established.

I would write and send letters for all the catalogs in the back of the magazine - one I remember was I think “Van something” taxidermy in Nebraska. I got a cool glossy catalog full of eyeballs and foam deer heads.

Was Herters still around when you were a kid? I don't remember when for certain they became something else.
    MUCH of my hard earned income was spent with a Herters order form and a USPS money order.

Dang PM
    I would of loved to shoot with you back when I lived in NH
    That was way back in 2012
    Seems like ages ago
    Did a fair amount of work in Harvard building a house for some lady that didn't want a straight cut on any of the trim trying to make it look like a 1700 or something home

Dang PM
    I would of loved to shoot with you back when I lived in NH
    That was way back in 2012
    Seems like ages ago
    Did a fair amount of work in Harvard building a house for some lady that didn't want a straight cut on any of the trim trying to make it look like a 1700 or something home

2012 seems like another solar system.

1700 people would tell Harvard lady she is an idiot.

Reactions: Aftermath
    I would write and send letters for all the catalogs in the back of the magazine - one I remember was I think “Van something” taxidermy in Nebraska. I got a cool glossy catalog full of eyeballs

Van Dykes perhaps....

We had a Van Dykes warehouse in Woonsocket, SD....about 25min south of where I grew up. Upon googling, I see they merged it with their Texas warehouse.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Van Dykes perhaps....

We had a Van Dykes warehouse in Woonsocket, SD....about 25min south of where I grew up. Upon googling, I see they merged it with their Texas warehouse.
    That was the place.