• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My $5 scope leveling tool.

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
We all know that Franks way of leveling a scope with the feeler guages works great. But sometimes you can't use that method. If you have a 2 piece base, or if your scope doesn't have a flat spot on the bottom this wont work. So this is what I came up with.
I went to my local Ace Hardware and found this.
IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

It is called a Touchdown II adjustable clamp. The top of it slides down the bottom and is held on with little clips like that on zip ties, but these can be reliesed. It was $2.49. They come in a few sizes. This one is from 5/8" to 2 3/8" so it will fit just about any size barrel. I also got a cheap level, the ones with 3 bubbles inside of it, they are about 8" long. They had it in a clearance bin for $1.99.
I took the 3 bubbles out of the level (sorry i didn't take pics of the level). Then I glued one of them to the top of the clamp.
The way this method works is you put a level on the base or the top of the bottom half of the ring. Get the rifle level. Then you put the clamp on the barrel and make sure it is level on the barrel.
IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

Once that is set, then you mount your scope. Get the eye relief where you need it. Then just put a level on the turret. Make sure the level on the clamp is level with the one on the turret. Then you know the scope is level.
IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Tighten down the screws to the right torque and you are done.
The clamp can be removed by using a screwdriver to move the tap away from the clips. I was thinking of just removing the tab that holds them in so it would slid up and down freely, then just using a rubber band on each side to hold the clamp onto the barrel. I believe this would actauly work better.

Re: My $5 scope leveling tool.

Only thing I would suggest is to make the bubble that is out front touch one line (right or left, which means there is a small cant to your rifle) then when leveling your scope make the bubble on top touch the same line going the same direction.

It is much easier to get it precise when you have a mark to touch instead of just keeping the bubble in the middle of the lines somewhere.

But you have a great idea going.

Ive always had good results out of feeler gauges! But this is a good alternative

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive always had good results out of feeler gauges! But this is a good alternative </div></div>

The feeler gauge method is good but I still prefer to level off the bolt raceways. You can rest assured the raceways are more squared with the receiver than the factory drilled holes, especially on a Remington action.
Custom actions tend to be a bit more precise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing I would suggest is to make the bubble that is out front touch one line (right or left, which means there is a small cant to your rifle) then when leveling your scope make the bubble on top touch the same line going the same direction.</div></div>

This works great, as long as the bubbles are the same size and the indicator lines are at the same spacing. Ask me how I know... LOL!!

DK

i use my iphone since it has a digital bubble program that even measures in 0.1 of a degree.

That's cool, but neither Google nor a search of the Ace Hardware website reveals any results for this thing. Can't find it for nothing. Was it in the closeout bin or something?

I found the Level in a closeout bin. The hose clamp was hanging on a rack with the plumbing stuff. I couldn't find it online on Aces site either.