• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 5r customized by S.A.C.

WVshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
NC
I just received my 5r from Mark at S.A.C. today and thought I'd post a few pictures to show it off. This is my first time sending off a gun to a smith to have it customized and I am very happy with the results at least cosmetically as I haven't got to shoot it yet. I've had this 5r for about a year and it has been a great gun. I've had it out to 1000 a couple times and been able to pop some clays at 500 with it. A couple months ago I decided to try to trick it out a little and get it closer to what I have been wanting without buying a whole new gun. After hearing an interview with mark on a podcast a while back and seeing all the reviews of his work on here I decided to send it to the guys at Short Action Customs. It worked out great and I got it back a couple weeks sooner than they quoted. Mark seems like a good guy and was easy to deal with.
So I had them cut it down to 20" and thread it for a suppressor with a custom thread protector. They installed a badger knob, bedded the Seekins rail, cerakoted the whole thing black and dropped it into a Manners T2 mini chassis that I got from Stockys. I also decided to step up and get a Thunderbeast for it after talking to Mark so now I'm going to have to play the ATF waiting game.

So thanks to Mark and S.A.C. The work looks great.
DSC04219_zps03afbe00.jpg

DSC04231_zpsaa8f3f9b.jpg

DSC04235_zpsfc3cfcc6.jpg

DSC04227_zps74929627.jpg

IMG_1421_zps0d50e3ae.jpg

IMG_1422_zps2157cad2.jpg

IMG_1424_zps07daa87f.jpg

Sweet. Very nice little setup. I'm waiting for a SAC right now - congrats on your rifle.

Congrats that is one sweet 5R nice coating job. I love mine I haven't powder coated it only cause I like the stainless and flat black off set : bolt knob,base and AAC break.

Congrats, I am happy with my R700 5R. I had my rifle in 2010 and Im planning of getting another in .223 soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

awesome. Great looking gun. This has me so excited about my rig. I talked with Mark last week and I think I've decided on everything for mine. Thanks for the pics. Let us know how it shoots and good luck with the ATF process. I've been waiting over 4 months and it never gets any easier.

Congrats on the beautiful rifle. Mark does awesome work for sure. Post some group pics stat, shoot that baby.

Mike

Congrats on the rifle, looks great, and mark is a great smith so I'm sure it'll shoot great. BTW you'll really like the TBAC can once you get it.

Quick trip to the range

So I was able to slip out of the house for a little while today and get to the range to zero my rifle. I haven't actually been behind a bolt gun since last May so I definitely had some cobwebs to knock off but I now have regular access to a range. It's only a 100 yard range but better than the 25 yard indoor range I've been shooting pistols at.
IMG_1432_zpsd27e5233.jpg

The tables at the range make for a pretty awkward shooting position so I could never really get relaxed behind the gun and kind of had to force my shooting position the whole time so there was quite a few times when I was wobbling around and throwing shots all over but I did manage to get a good zero and if I do my part it will pretty much shoot through the crosshairs.

My three shot groups all looked pretty good but I couldn't keep it together and really stack a five shot group in there. Was using 175 grain FGMM.

DSC04241_zps466c9355.jpg

DSC04240_zps0316b0e8.jpg

My friends that saw and shot the gun were really impressed with the machine work, especially the thread cap and crown job. I am very happy with the accuracy of this gun for what is essentially a lightly modified factory rifle. I can't wait to get it out to some longer ranges and see how it performs. Should be perfect for my precision rifle class at Practical Firearms Training in Alderson WV coming up in November.

I hate to resurrect an old thread but I thought it was worth posting and updating. I'm still shooting my 5r in the configuration I got last year from S.A.C. and I continue to really love this rifle.
Unfortunately I really don't get to shoot it much beyond 100 yards where I live and only get to stretch it out when I travel back home to WV. I've got a little over 330 rounds through it so far and it seems to have really settled in. I managed to do some shooting at 635 yards on a 10'x15" plate and kept a pretty decent group once I figured out my dial.
My come up wasn't initially matching my range based on my data so I had to adjust my MV in my calculator and once I added about 100 fps everything came together.

I know this thing isn't a drill like the guns a lot of people on here have but I can't help but think it's awesome for a factory gun shooting factory ammo.
I really enjoy shooting this rifle, especially considering the accuracy for the money. I think the 5r SS has got to be one of the better values for the money. I know it's not perfect and it doesn't seem near as nice as my buddies GAP but it shoots well for me at my skill level and no more than I can get it out to longer ranges. I'd still like to have the GAP eventually though.

Here are some pictures and a video from this week.

I had to adjust my scope and get my eye relief correct and then sight in the gun again. At this point I shot the best group I've recorded from this gun using FGMM 175gr. ammo.

I'd call this at 18 or 19/32 to the outside edges.

Shot this 10'x15" plate at 635 yards. Paper is just for reference.

Rifle and shotgun action WV 2014 - YouTube

ah, I wouldn't be too apologetic about that accuracy. the 635 yd plate speaks volumes, you're doing hella good work with that rifle.

I hate to resurrect an old thread but I thought it was worth posting and updating. I'm still shooting my 5r in the configuration I got last year from S.A.C. and I continue to really love this rifle.
I know this thing isn't a drill like the guns a lot of people on here have but I can't help but think it's awesome for a factory gun shooting factory ammo.
I really enjoy shooting this rifle, especially considering the accuracy for the money. I think the 5r SS has got to be one of the better values for the money. I know it's not perfect and it doesn't seem near as nice as my buddies GAP but it shoots well for me at my skill level and no more than I can get it out to longer ranges. I'd still like to have the GAP eventually though.

Looks like a shooter to me.

I think the 5R rifles, especially spruced up the way you have yours, are a very good value. It's what my wife uses, and she shoots so well with it that most other shooters at the range ask her "who built it", thinking it's a ground up custom rifle.

Did you ever get that TB suppressor? Shooting my 16" 308 suppressed is loads of fun. Also, APA now makes a new Gen II bastard brake that fits right up to the standard 5/8x24 muzzle thread and cap design without any need for crush washers to properly time.

Unfortunately no, I did not end up getting the suppressor. I should have stuck with it but unfortunately I needed the money for other things when it came down to it and chose not to have it tied up in limbo for a year. Maybe eventually I'll get one.

Hey WVshooter, I have a 5r also that I had Mark at SAC do a little work on over this past winter. Very similar to yours: install bolt knob, thread muzzle 5/8-24 for a TBAC 30-P1, install thread protector (I kept the barrel length @ 24"), trigger job, & cerakote. I've had mine out to 800 so far; hoping to get to 1000 soon. Here's a pic of mine.

0504141408.jpg

Hopefully, the 30-P1 will be along here in the next couple months.

Nice rig. I like the camo and wish if have gotten the adjustable stock.

Nice rig. I like the camo and wish if have gotten the adjustable stock.

Thanks. Looks like yours fits you pretty well without the adjustable stock. It does add a bit of weight and cost more, but the rifle balances nicely with it. Here's a 5-shot, 100-yard group I shot with it last week...

0701141929.jpg

Seems I always manage to have one not cooperate. :rolleyes: I can't complain too much though, as it was a cold bore shot.

I didn't think to take any pics of the steel we were shooting a couple weeks ago. Next time, I guess.

Last edited:
Great looking rifle, and shooting! Mark is the shit when it comes to Precison rifles. Plus he's a really nice dude to deal with.

Great looking rifle, and shooting! Mark is the shit when it comes to Precison rifles. Plus he's a really nice dude to deal with.

Thanks! Mark was great to deal with. They did just what I wanted and the craftsmanship and turn around time was excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to send anybody to him for custom work. When I get to the point that I think I need more accuracy from this rifle I'll be sending it back to him for a Bartlein barrel and action blueprinting. That or I may end up just having him build me a complete rifle.

I'd like to get a press and start reloading for it next. The FGMM 175's shoot great out of it but I think I could reduce the velocity spread a bit and get a little more consistency out of it at the longer ranges. I'm really curious to see just what kind of accuracy potential is in this mostly stock barrel and action.

Thanks. Looks like yours fits you pretty well without the adjustable stock. It does add a bit of weight and cost more, but the rifle balances nicely with it. Here's a 5-shot, 100-yard group I shot with it last week...

View attachment 41912

Seems I always manage to have one not cooperate. :rolleyes: I can't complain too much though, as it was a cold bore shot.

I didn't think to take any pics of the steel we were shooting a couple weeks ago. Next time, I guess.

Good shooting! I started the weekend with a CCB shot that was loose from the group like that. I had thoroughly cleaned the barrel after the last time I had it out some months ago. The CCB definitely affected it. The next couple 5 shot groups from the gun were progressively smaller, I guess as the barrel coppered back up a little. After about 20-25 rounds it had settled back into the group in the picture above. I think in hindsight I would have left the barrel at 24" but at the time I wanted a little shorter rifle. It seems to actually shoot a little better despite the length reduction and considering the very nice crown job.