• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 6.5 Super LR by PHX Custom Rifles

Lowe Left

Chief
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Arizona
Disclaimer, you can only blame me for the color lol. I wanted something different for the A5 color. Too many desert camo patterns at the range. This is what I asked for: 80% Dark Grey, 10% Orange, 5% Red and 5% Yellow. Since it looks like hamburger with ketchup and mustard it's been nicknamed the, "Hamburgler". Stiller TAC30AW, 25" Rock Creek 6.5, 1-8, RemVar chambered in 6.5 Super LR, R&D bottom metal with NF F1 w/ MilDot2 reticle. Rifle weighs 14lbs as pictured. Phx Custom Rifles modified the bolt, I didn't like how close it was to my trigger finger. Shot the first 32 rounds through it yesterday and I'm very happy with the load development so far. 123 Scenar right at 3000fps with single ES/SD and group. I'll post some 5-shot groups here when I get my load development done.

I'm very pleased with PHX Custom Rifles work. Keith builds a great rifle and he kept me up to date on the build from start to finish.

2yp0q50.jpg

xo31ad.jpg

30rmzjc.jpg

Re: My 6.5 Super LR by PHX Custom Rifles

Nice components, however that stock color is, well, interesting.

Keep us posted on the range results.

KT

the stock is interesting, but like you said, its nice to see something other than the black, tan, or green.. its a very nice rifle. congratulations on the build. definitely get some group pics up.

I like things that are different. Good for you Lowe!

The Hamburgler looks great, especially the other day for it's unveiling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the parent case for that round?</div></div>

^^^^ What blackblue said, check out the link above.

260 Rem case ran through sizing die then go shoot.

I think stock looks great!

If shooting was done under a black light, all of us would have stocks like that!

I really like all the 6.5mm's. Ive heard a little about the 6.5SLR in the last year or so. I read the article that you posted. Seems like a decent cartridge. Getting the 140's up above 2,900 without excessive pressure or barrel/throat erosion is an attractive thing in itself.

Seems like that cartridge loaded in some resized Lapua 260 or 243 brass would be the ultimate with the exception of the neck donuts they were mentioned due to the thicker shoulder brass on the Lapua.

I'd certainly like to see your range results.

As for the stock, I'm always a fan of something different. If you decide you don't like it I bet ARP can Duracote you some nice camo on it.

I like the stock,Nice looking rig

The 6.5 Super LR is interesting. Proformance increase with no fireforming.

Are you going to try out and 130 VLD's? Very interesting round. I'm gathering parts for another 6.5x47Lapua and now I've got new research to do.

Nice looking rifle. I was planning to build a 7-08 but am starting to lean toward the 6.5 creedmoor or the 6.5 slr.

Nice Rig, I hope that I get to see it next time I'm out in PHX!

OK, now the dumbass question...

WHY did you go for the 6.5SLR, instead of the 6.5 Creedmoor??

You could just buy factory ammo in a pinch with the Creed, no forming brass, as it comes direct from the Hornady factory.

I'm in the process of a 6.5 build, so tell me, what do you get with the 6.5SLR which outweighs the advantages of going with a factory round such as;
.260Rem
6.5Creedmoor
6.5x47Lapua

OR, like the stock, you just wanted something different, because you can?

I know Scotty went with 6xc, so why'd ya go with this??

Neil

Hi Neil.

Basically the 6.5SLR is a combination of all those cartridges and without fire-forming. Case capacity of the 260 with the benchrest proven 30 degree shoulder (Creedmoor/Lapua) and longer neck. I can't explain it any better than the guy that developed it. Read here: http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php

I liked what I read and did it. My 280AI gets the, "why?" question all the time. Why?, because I like it, not because it's better than your 284 or your 7-300wsm. I do enjoy trying something different as long as the concept makes sense.

I plan to run the OCW test on Saturday and have a charge weight established. Next, I'll mess with seating depth to iron out the most consistant load.

Very nice rifle....gotta watch out for the Hamburglar!
I can't wait to see your results/specs! Are you going to run 139's or 142's also?
Are you running AW mags?

My 6.5slr build is on hold waiting on a reamer snafu. I'll probably be checking this thread for updates about every 4 minutes...it is driving me crazy.

That is a cool looking rifle! I am going with the 6.5SLR on my
next build, just waiting for my .243 to "burn up".

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking about running the 123s. 90% of the shots in the matches I've been in are under 800 yards. If I can get the 123s to 3000fps I think I've got a winner. Didn't get to the range today, hoping to shoot tomorrow.

Yes I'm running AW mags, lots of room in those.

Hi Lowe,

Thanks for the reply. I had read all the guff before, and in fact when I shoot out the barrel on my .243Win, I will be re-barreling with the 6mmSLR, and a fast twist barrel so that I ca stabilise the 115 and 117 D-Tacs.

Just with you shooting comps, I wondered why you went with a wildcat instead of a factory number. I just thought that if you had an issue with your ammo whilst away from home, you could pick up factory fodder, and the journey wouldn't be a total loss.

Back in town on the 7th, 5-day trip this time, so I will hopefully get down to the range with Scott on Thursday. Hope to see you and the rest of the usual suspects then.

N

Good point Neil. However, I'm not sure how available 260 or 6.5 creedmoor is at Walmart. If my ammo is @ss up, I guess I'll be a spotter for the weekend
wink.gif

see you soon.

What's the velocity difference expected between 6.5 SLR compared to 6.5 Creedmore?
Nice rig BTW-i'd thought about one of these in a specialty pistol in 22-243 SLR for coyotes. Hmmm i do have a 22-250 8t Mcgowen right now.

Stumbled across this post after seeing a pic of your rifle in the McMillan stock colors picture thread. Cool rifle and I blame you for the stock
grin.gif
Just kidding its not my first choice but I like different and agree its boring seeing the same old stuff all the time. I also noticed your local what range is this at? Also let me know next time you head out shooting if you dont mind a shooting buddy tagging along. Im just getting into long range precision and am looking for people to show me the ropes and besides I love to shoot any opportunity I get.

i built something VERY similiar to this with my 6.5x47 reamer before Mr. Whitley introduced the 6.5SLR and there seemed to be little interest at the time. anyway, i was able to push the 123's to 3150fps with no pressure issues. i also pushed the 130 berger to 3k+ and the 140 a-max to 3k with not problems. i used the same 25 pieces of winchester 7mm-08 brass for a LONG time and never lost a primer pocket. here is a link if you are interested. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...72#Post1761972.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i built something VERY similiar to this with my 6.5x47 reamer before Mr. Whitley introduced the 6.5SLR and there seemed to be little interest at the time. anyway, i was able to push the 123's to 3150fps with no pressure issues. i also pushed the 130 berger to 3k+ and the 140 a-max to 3k with not problems. i used the same 25 pieces of winchester 7mm-08 brass for a LONG time and never lost a primer pocket. here is a link if you are interested. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...72#Post1761972.

chuck </div></div>
Good info there, thanks Chuck. Here's more info on this rifle and using the 123 Scenar http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...50#Post3111050. I've since decided to stick with a heavier bullet and I have over 1K 139s and 500+ 142SMKs. 139s are loaded up now for an OCW test. Problem is I only have 1 optic for 3 rifles and the scope is on my 260 for a match on Friday. I won't get around to the OCW test until after this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Five7guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stumbled across this post after seeing a pic of your rifle in the McMillan stock colors picture thread. Cool rifle and I blame you for the stock
grin.gif
Just kidding its not my first choice but I like different and agree its boring seeing the same old stuff all the time. I also noticed your local what range is this at? Also let me know next time you head out shooting if you dont mind a shooting buddy tagging along. Im just getting into long range precision and am looking for people to show me the ropes and besides I love to shoot any opportunity I get. </div></div>

per our pm, "hello again" and you're more than welcome to come out and shoot a match with us and check out our website: http://www.lrprs.com/forum/index.php. Next match is March 17th.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Next match is March 17th </div></div> Thanks for the invite Lowe. I think that would work for me I will pencil it in. What type of match and distance(s) will you be shooting at? Also, what are the rules as far as specs on rifles are brakes allowed etc?

That color combo is bold and interesting! Looks like an interesting cartridge.

Interesting. Not sure that its the end all be all of 6.5's though. My 24 inch 6.5x47 runs Moly 123's @ 3150fps with RL17. No pressure signs. Just say, its real easy that way, nice rifle!