• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My 70 year old mother said she thought she should have an AR15

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
Something I never thought I would hear my super liberal, former flower child hippie mother say...”I think I should have an AR15 in the house.”

now as much as I support having something for home and personal defense this is not what i expected.

now about a month ago I took her to the range for the first time In her life. We fired a few pistols CZ laser she did very well with that. A Cz SP01 and a Berreta 82 which she did well with. She is actually a decent shot but lacks the strength to rack the slides. Tried a few different techniques on about 5 pistols and no can do. Thinking about getting a 22lr revolver but I wonder if she will be able to pull the heavier trigger?

anyway back to the AR. So she wants an AR. I am not getting her an AR. Gave her a couple of mine to hold and she wasn’t ready.

But the other day I came across this at palmetto state. So happens my Mothers name is Rosemarie. I figure at the least it will make a good paper weight or conversation piece amongst her very liberal friends

F5C01437-E3CF-4336-B7F3-47134050738C.jpeg
3BB923B9-86E5-4DDA-A801-29ECEECDD20F.jpeg

I can say one thing about my 87 year old mother.
She has a strong will values her independence and will not let anyone tell her what to do

She always says- the old grey mare isn't what she used to be.
Mom likes the Ruger SP101 since it got a nice trigger job

Have her try the S&W Shield EZ. Its supposed to be very easy to manipulate.

If she does want an AR, see if you can get her a purpose built rifle that is lightweight and is tuned to be as low recoil as possible.

My BCM bcg and Geissele ACH makes a smooth charging rifle. Combine that with a mix of buffer weights, an adjustable gas block, and some kind of brake (that is not too loud) should net you a light recoiling rifle.

Give Mom an AR10 a little bit more knock down power , they won't expect the 7.62 coming from sweet ole Mom.

Perhaps a 22LR conversion or 10/22? My 70 year old mother at 5'2" and 110 lbs is a bit too frail to wield much. She's losing strength in her hands and even a 9mm is too much for her. However she shoots her Ruger MkIII weekly, and does very well with it. When dad goes, we're going to have to cut back to rimfires for her in a PD role.

It isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

I agree with the above that a light, compact, low-recoiling AR would be ideal for an older lady. The AR layout is ergonomic and intuitive which makes effective use much easier for a novice.

An AR pistol in 300 blk, 8 inch barrel, adjustable gas block, and lightweight bolt carrier would be light, wieldy, and could be tuned for laughably low recoil. Put a can on it and you'd think it was a 22lr.

Just get the 'flower child' a full blown M&P15 /22 tell her you love her and be done with it.
Oh, by the way, move this to the Bear Pit and let her read the post😉

Was at the range yesterday, being the Range Safety Officer. 80+ grandma shooting a LCP, and missing everything. Shot her daughter's PMR 30 and was killing it.

I said to her husband " you should get her on of these, with good defensive ammo." He said. "a 22 WMR isn't good enough to stop an attacker." to which I replied, "only hits count. If she misses the bad guy with a 9mm, that won't stop him. A 22 WMR will stop him, and she has 30 rounds of ammo that she can shoot well."

As she left, she said "I'm getting one of those."

If one granny is saved, then all of yesterday's labor is worth it ;)

Have her try the S&W Shield EZ. Its supposed to be very easy to manipulate.

If she does want an AR, see if you can get her a purpose built rifle that is lightweight and is tuned to be as low recoil as possible.

My BCM bcg and Geissele ACH makes a smooth charging rifle. Combine that with a mix of buffer weights, an adjustable gas block, and some kind of brake (that is not too loud) should net you a light recoiling rifle.
The EZ is indeed very easy to operate the slide. We have "ladies" night once a month at my club. Women can come and shoot no charge, we even supply the ammo. Everyone has an instructor with them at the firing line. We average 30 women per event and some can't operate an average slide, they all can operate an EZ. Very nice piece for older or people with lessened grip strength. Also very reliable.

My mom is not anti-gun but has never been interested in them either. I knew I needed something easy to use with light recoil. I settled on a 6" Ruger GP100. It's a relatively heavy revolver, trigger isn't bad, and recoil with 38 special is practically nothing. She pulls the trigger and gets 6 easy shots.

Great call! Sometimes something that’s already a great idea gets an extra boost, ha.

My mom (coming up on 70) also has never been into guns but isn’t anti either. She finally got comfortable with a handgun and carrying 6 or 7 years ago when we traded in her revolver for an XD. I now have an EZ for my wife (who is actively scared of firearms) and it’s been so nice I’m tempted to surprise my mom with one next time I see her.

She lives alone in the mountains a couple states away and I wanted her to have a do-all rifle for safety’s sake. She now loves her AR: low recoil, accurate, light, intuitive. I built her a lightweight one (under 6lbs as pictured with an empty mag!) with the furniture she liked and she really likes having it.

1592918768983.jpeg

This is her practicing with the BUIS before I added the Holosun. That’s as comfortable as you’ll see her with a firearm:

1592918951547.jpeg

Reactions: Merle and ddavis
Yea, people who don't understand guns don't understand why everyone who shoots an AR gets to liking it, and liking it, practicing with it, and practicing, getting good with it.

It's the uber women's and kids gun.

Maybe that's why the haters gotta hate. Can't have armed and free old ladies running around the country! ;)