• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My barrel is getting there...

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    My SPS varmit is getting there, roughly 1700 rounds through it at this point. Once my groups open up I'm going to replace the barrel and blueprint the action.

Just wondering how many of you have bought a remington 700 in .308 shot out the barrel and switched it to .223? ( or any other calibers for a Remington 700 SA )How do you like it? That sort of thing, just toying with the idea..

I really like the idea of shooting with less recoil. Where i'm at 300 is max I get to shoot. Anything you might have pictures of would be awesome.

Re: My barrel is getting there...

what caliber is your sps now? if its a .308 your barrel is not "getting there" with 1700 rounds. If you want to change it go for it. You will need a new bolt for the .223 though.

if 300 is your max, I hope you are mixing it up to practice. A good .22 trainer would be on my list before worrying about a .223. Then it would be trying to pactice positional shooting and uncomfortable positions. As said above 1700 is likely not even close to opening up in a .308

Dave

Thanks Cpt.
    Yeah I know it's not "getting there". But "it's" getting there. I guess this is more of a "in the future thing". Your correct it is a .308 for the forseeable future.

If you handload....

You'll have to switch brass and set up ...maybe?

I'd say stick with .308 and start handloaded if you don't already.

Or...
    If you are looking for less recoil and want and real shooter go .260, .243, or 6xc to make it interesting. If this were my only rifle I'd stick with .308. Every grown man should have a lite weight .308 bolt gun. As for me, humbly, .223 is for auto loadin bullet spitters. I jus see it as the others I mentioned are a much better choice for a lite recoiling round.

I do handload so yeah i would need to get new dies. I think you guys gave me some solid advice with the 22 trainer. I also like the insight on the .260 etc..

I know I dont need a new barrel yet. I'm hoping to get 3000 rounds through this before anything opens up. i dont normally shoot any hot loads. But I have been playing with the idea.. theres a remington 700 SPS tac in .223 that i might pick up at the range i think they want 600 for it. but for now yeah its staying in .308 and it might get a little buddie in 22lr.