• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Bergera Ridgeback 6.5CM is a bit dissapointing (Updated with results)

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Fit and finish is top notch, but accuracy so far is mediocre. It's set up with Murphy Precision base, Vortex PST GenII 5-25 in Leupold Mark4 rings, all screws are properly torqued.

At 100 yards using Federal GMM 140 im getting 1" to 1.5" groups, for $1800 and match grade barrel I would expect much better, heck my two Savage 308 rifles where spot on right out of the box, had high hopes for this Remington I mean Bergara.

Any ideas, maybe try different ammo ? Dont have dies for handloads, but from my experience if a rifle doens't shoot well with todays match ammo its a dud !

Last edited:
Try 4 or more different loads before you write it off. Sometimes a barrel just doesn’t like a certain load.

The Ammo you mentioned seems to be hit or miss in many rifles. Horady is where it is at for factory 6.5 creedmoor ammo.

I've tried 3 different factory Hornady loads in my 700 5R (140gr ELD-M, 143gr ELD-X and 147gr ELD-M) and all three were sub MOA at 100yds. If doesn't group well with one of them I'd be calling Bergara.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Recommended loads:

.223 Remington- Hornady 55 gr VMAX, Hornady 75 gr. BTHP

.243 Win.- Hornady 100 gr. Interlock

.270 win- Nosler 130 gr. Accubond

7mm-08-Hornady 120 Gr. SST

7mm Mag-Norma 156 gr. Oryx, Hornady 162 gr. ELD-X

.30-06- Barnes 168 gr. TSX, Hornady 178 Gr. ELD-X

.300 BLK- Hornady 208 gr AMAX

.300 Win Mag- Norma 180 gr. Oryx

.308 win- 168 Federal Gold Medal Match, 175 gr. Federal Gold Medal Match, Norma 165 gr. Oryx

6.5 Creedmoor- Hornady 140 gr. ELD Match, Hornady 143 Gr. ELD-X

.44 mag-Hornady 300 gr. FTX

.35 Whelen- Hornady 200 gr. Superformance

6MM Creedmoor-Hornady 108 gr. ELD-Match

280 AI- Nosler Trophy Grade 140 gr. Accubond

.22-250 Rem.- Hornady 55 Gr. VMAX, Nosler 64 gr. BSB

.450 Bushmaster-Hornady 250 gr. FTX

That's straight from bergara website. Even with my HMR pro though, I was getting just under 1 moa with hornady precision hunter, and the test target came with .61" group with hornady match 140 gr. If you try more and still no luck, contact bergara CS and I will send you my HMR pro if they don't look after you, thats how confident I am in their customer service

My hmr is sub moa with hornady match and American gunner. S&b and atomic are about 2 moa. Small changes make a difference.

Reactions: Mbaysinger89
Well boys I found a round the gun likes, It does not like Federal GMM 140gr or Hornady ELD Match 140gr, but it seems to really shoot well with Hornady ELD Match 120gr, kind of surprised me.

Thanks for the replies

5 shot group @ 100yds

Is it possible it might need additional break in for the 140 or 143? Just curious, especially if you are interested in shooting the heavier stuff at a later date?

Reactions: abn31c
Is it possible it might need additional break in for the 140 or 143? Just curious, especially if you are interested in shooting the heavier stuff at a later date?

A fellow shooter at the range earlier today suggested the same thing, it will be interesting to see how that may develop.

My son used Browning 129gn rounds to sight in a RPR and Hell's Caynon 6.5CM. Groups were super nice and almost scary to see with the "out the box" rifles. We bought way more ammo than we needed but had plenty for the hunting season.