• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report My Best 1000 yard group

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
I was able to shoot in a 1,000 yard match at Graben Farms, Ga on Saturday. As one gets older not too much really gets us excited anymore. While the group was not shot in the match I did shoot it while sighting in. Conditions were perfect. It was shot with a Tubb SpecTacLR, 25.5" 1:7.5 twist Broughton bbl. 115 pointed BN DTAC's, Wolf primer & 39.9grs. H4350. Two weeks ago this load was running 2939 fps.
Honestly I'm still pretty pumped about it. It measured 2.280"
1000ydgroup.jpg

Semper Fi

Re: My Best 1000 yard group

Great rifle with a heck of a shot behind! Nice group!

That is a truly outstanding group!!! The best I have ever done was 3.4" for 4 rds. I was thrilled with my group. I probably would have passed out if I shot a group like yours. It really does make your week when you shoot a really nice group or target. Thanks for showing it. If ever I shoot a group like that, I'm going to post it !

david

Great shooting! I have been working on shooting at 1k too. My best so far has been about a 5-6" group and that is with 4 out of the 5 in a perfectly straight verticle. Might be the load, but who knows.

Pffftt.....whatever, I could do that with my AR15.....LOL! Awesome F'ing group! That looks like it would be a world record grouping.....no?

Nice, very nice. I too often had screamer groups in practice. Ain't that the way it always happens. hehe. I'd be pumped too!

One of these days you'll do it for score. ;-)

Here's a pic of one of my better "for score targets"

best group is 4.1" (red)

Primers%20copy.jpg

mgd45...Nope not even close to a record. I thought it would be close so I checked. I believe the 5 shot Light Gun record is 1.504 shot by the owner of Thunder Valley in Ohio. It's still enough to keep me doing the "Snoopy Dance" for awhile.
Semper Fi

Good shooting!

Come out to Ohio and shoot with us sometime! Shooting 1000 yard BR can be fun even with Tactical rifles. I've shot dozens of groups under 4" @ 1000 and its a good feeling. It's the dozen or so targets that measure 3-4 bullets within an 1-1.5" range that keeps me coming back. The World record I shot in 07 measured 1.397" for five shots 50 5x score. I have shot several 2" groups since then looking to break the record again. It takes skill and good gear to shoot a group like you shot. Keep up the good work.

Good luck with your shooting!

Tom Sarver

Well that too....but not always. I've shot some of my best groups in high winds when others were in double digits on the same relay. Even with NO wind there are still conditions and lots of them. Even with no wind and top notch equipment most shooters would be lucky to shoot under half MOA at 1000 yards once let alone consistantly...with a TRUE BR rifle.

Tom

I used a 4-16 S&B with the DTAC reticle. The power was set on 16. I used one of Henry Remple's ski type bi-pods & a rear bag. The bi-pod has ski type feet so I put it on a piece of deep pile carpet so the ski slide easier. Thanks for the invite to come up & shoot. Also I had the AWC Ti Thundertrap can on it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Trying to arrange a trip to shoot the mile with a 7 WSM in the near future.
Semper Fi

Wow...nice set up.
Shoot a ten target agg 5 shots each no cleaning in between.
Early in morning or late in evening. That should show you what you and your rifle are capable of. When you come up I'll let you shoot a few targets @ 1000 yards and a mile with the Hulk.
Your 7mm should do great at a mile.
We're shooting 1650 yards today with .260's and hitting great.
5-10 mph crosswinds, ground is VERY dry- nice dust reports.

Tom

April 18th, Joel Pendergraft of Durham, NC put 10 shots into 3.048 to set a new IBS 1000-yard Heavy Gun World record.
That's awesome.
Semper Fi

That's nice shooting. Great group.

No, I haven't cleaned the bbl. yet. But I am tomorrow. It's got 240+ rds down it since I last cleaned it. It's right on the edge of where it falls off quickly. I got scared after I shot the little group & didn't want to clean. But tomorrow the bbl gets a proper cleaning.
You guys have fun at Chief's on Friday.