• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Blank Slate

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
My newly aquired blank slate. It will be stripped of everything in it. The HVAC will go above the joists, then I will inset Kitchen lights in between the joists(Shop lights have nasty hum to them). The roof will be done in maybe silver peg board, or maybe white knotty pine, still working on that part in my head. The walls, and floor will be gloss white, and all installed electrical plates will be metal flake red. A metal flake red stripe will split the center of the wall. I am thinking about applying red brick waiscoating on the right hand wall to turn it into an 'ally' to park the bikes in.
Where that shelf is, will go my reloading table and AO. On the left side will be the main work bench and tool boxes. A small bar table and stools will go on the right as well for a quiet place to chill once in a while, or to smoke a good cigar on a cold day.
Either way, lots of work to do when I get down there to TN

IMG00061.jpg

Re: My Blank Slate

James,

Are you going to shoot some furring onto the walls and hang rock or just paint the concrete? If you can easily reloacate those ducts into the plane of your joists, your ceiling options are wide open!

Did you get that last e-mail and is the tractor yours too?

What tractor? All I see is a lawn mower. LOL
If you're painting the block, put a coat of Block Filler on first. It's very thick and fills all the little holes. Otherwise, It'll take 4 or 5 coats to cover properly.

BTW, I thought you were already there???

qq, e-mail received, and yes the lawnmower is ours(came with the house...I wanted a Husqy)

I am using DryLok for the walls then going over it with gloss white. Everything you see in the ceiling will go above the joists and lighting will be based on 48" inset lights(4 - 6).
I may also refit or replace any insulation. On the HVAC, I am going to probably build a plenum for the two vents at either end, and add a central vent for the garage that I can open and close depending if I am there or not.
I will have to install all the power, light switches, and wiring for same. While it's a simple process, it is a little time consuming to run it over the joists, then affix the conduits down from the ceiling so it's done right. While I am not a 'Union Worker' I am Union trained, and very able to do almost if not all the work myself and have it look and act like it was done by a Professional...wait, I am a professional! It's my regular Army job as Repair and Utility Supervisor

You keeping the stripper poles?
laugh.gif

I need to go ahead and finish our basement when I get home. Concrete floor, cinder block walls, joists, and ducting. Ugh!!

CHRIS

Frame in a room aft of the door and frame in the walls as well. Add electric and lighting as needed. Make this the "gun room" where you can close the door so your "guests" as opposed to your friends cant see what you do. Add your bar to the wall you just made and conceal the door to the room behind a book shelf / humidor. Let Panty 6 decorate the "front" of the man cave. You get "What's behind the door you can't see".

I wish VA Beach had houses w/ basements cuz that's what I'd be doing except with concrete blocks and a vault door.

Cheers,

Doc

Might want to consider a "Hide Build Day" there are folks running around here with some serious skills. Hell you might could even start your own HGTV Show "Switchblade's Gun Room Challenge" LOL
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

What you see is the garage. That POS wall to the left goes into the basement proper. That wall, from Panty 6's close ups, is straight scab work and will have to be replaced. I am still thinking about furring and doing drywall in the garage section that is my shop, but that will lose at least a few square feet total because furring track, and drywall come to 1" all the way around the perimeter.
The lawnmower will be put into the shed when we get down there and either build it or buy one locally. Nothing goes into my garage/shop but what I want in there. It is MY area, adn my decisions as to how it is to be used. She gets the deciding vote on the rest of the house with my input so I have total discretionary power over the garage/shop.
My end game for this area is a little custom race shop, custom biker shop, and shooting shop all mixed in a bit. I am thinking each wall can have a little something to reflect that. Right side, bikes, end shooting stuff, Left side, gearhead stuff

The stripper poles have to stay until I figure out how to replace the load bearing job they do. It may have to be a large joist the length of the house with poles set through the entire center. I have to look at it all in a few weeks to see what's up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stripper poles have to stay until I figure out how to replace the load bearing job they do. It may have to be a large joist the length of the house with poles set through the entire center. I have to look at it all in a few weeks to see what's up. </div></div>

I find a good cigar or two is helpful in thinking through complex remedies such as replacing lally (Stripper) Poles!

The free beam that would have to replace the one residing on the poles would have to be engineered to carry everything the one resting on the poles currently does, and perhaps 15% more if you are going to go to the trouble! Paralams, and glue laminated beams, carry amazing loads for their foot print. Then there's steel! Point is, it can all be done.

Anyway, once you figure out what you want to do, figuring out how is half the fun! Hence the tobaccos!