• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Blown Up Rifle

Jtischauser

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2010
Edmond, OK
www.jessetischauser.com
After about round number 20 of a two day rifle class with Red Neck Tactical's Kurt Miller I had a round fail to fire during a drill. I thought maybe I ran out of ammo and the bolt didn't lock back. So I changed mags rapidly and racked a fresh round into the chamber. That next trigger pull was one I will never forget! :surprise:

I heard a big BANG and felt a huge POOF of air in my face. I instantly closed my eyes and tossed the rifle away from me. I suffered two tiny cuts on my face. My right eye was a little irritated but not as irritated as both eyes were the next day from dust in 25-30 mph winds. The shooter next to me took a piece or three of debris in the right arm and back which drew a little blood but neither of us was injured seriously thankfully.

The scope and mount still were still attached to the picatinny rail and were blown about 5-8 feet forward. The upper is completely destroyed. I should be able to save the hand guard but I will need a new barrel nut and collar. The comp and gas block should be OK too. Surprisingly the lower receiver is still in good shape despite the mag being destroyed when it was blown out the gun. My scope and mount appear to be OK as well.

After talking to the rifle manufacturer we think what happened was the round that didn't go off had a damaged case neck (as well as some reason why it didn't fire) which caused the bullet to get pulled out of the case and stuck in the chamber. I racked in a fresh round and it chambered but the bullet that was left in the chamber pushed the new bullet down into the casing causing a BIG problem when I pulled the trigger.

Lessons learned...ALWAYS WEAR YOUR RUDY PROJECT GLASSES WHEN SHOOTING and ALWAYS DOUBLE/TRIPLE CHECK YOUR RELOADS.

P6181276x.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Re: My Blown Up Rifle

Well at least you and the other guy are okay. Not much can be said about the upper receiver and bcg. I bet it made your butt hole pucker up and made your heart skip a beat. But honestly, that could have happened to anyone out there. Well you got a reason for a new build, lol.

Wow... I am glad you or anyone else didn't get seriously hurt.
+1 for lessons learned and +2 for sharing them. I like to learn from other people's experiences and will take this one to heart. Hope you get that upper replaced soon and get back out to the range!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you did this with reload ammo? </div></div>

I think it was a squib.

Glad your ok! I had something similiar happen when deer hunting. Shot at a deer, the shot made a quiet "poof" but seen the bullet fly out about 20 yds, racked in the 2nd shot, and BOOM! My buddy and I checked ourselves, and after realizing we were fine, when looking around we seen a wad sitting in our blind. Guessing the wad got stuck in the barrel from the first shot. Scary Indeed!

that is crazy and glad you are ok.

May I ask what brand the rifle was and roughly do you know the round count? Besides the stuck round do you think there could have been any other major factors in causing this ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you did this with reload ammo? </div></div>

I think it was a squib.</div></div>

I wanted to ensure I read that correctly that he was using reloads, I ask because if that is the case than SOMETHING in his reloading process was seriously lacking, and is lucky he is ok and didnt lose his face. I would be one pissed off mofo if I got peppered by the shooter next to me with reloads cause he didnt know what he was doing. IF he was using factory loaded ammo thats a different subject and is a lawsuit waiting to happen if it did that to his gun.

Reloading is serious bidness as this thread proves......

I had this almost happen to me several times with some "factory reloads" Round wouldn't go boom, tap magazine, eject round (saw empty case eject) slam in a new one. Luckily, the round wouldn't chamber due to the bullet in the throat otherwise this would've been me.

Cases must not of had much neck tension on bullet to let it get pulled out of a case and then pushed the next bullet in the case. On top of that how did it push the bullet into the case with powder in it and still chamber? I think I must agree with the squib round.

could have been a split case neck and the bullet did not have enough tension on it. Should have caught that seating a bullet and noticed different amount of force needed to seat bullet... If that was the case, that is.

I really don't completely agree with TallShot's argument that he doesn't reload anymore for semis because of the danger. That is his decision. I admit that this can be a dangerous hobby if care isn't always taken. Not to load for semis is his decision. However, care must be taken with each round loaded for ANY firearm. You must always verify the powder level in each case before seating the bullet. Since no one has examined (by report) the failed to fire casing...I suspect that the round was not charged with powder, or enough powder, to push the bullet out. I have seen many mistakes like this...in pistols with lead bullets, the primer is enough to drive the bullet forward enough to chamber another round. With jacketed bullets, the primer isn't usually enough...needs a few grains or so of powder to drive it far enough into the bore for a subsequent round to feed. That is my diagnosis...a squib round then a full bore round seated after it. This is where the OPERATOR needs to pay attention. If the firing sequence seems awry, and not enough noise ensues, then investigate before sticking another round in the chamber. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't know about the TallShot statement that he doesn't reload anymore for semis. To each his own. Care must be taken with each round. You should visually verify the powder level in each case before seating the bullet. Since no one has examined (by report) the failed to fire casing...I suspect that the round was not charged with powder, or enough powder, to push the bullet out. I have seen many mistakes like this...in pistols with lead bullets, the primer is enough to drive the bullet forward enough to chamber another round. With jacketed bullets, the primer isn't usually enough...needs a few grains or so of powder to drive it far enough into the bore for a subsequent round to feed. That is my diagnosis...a squib round then a full bore round seated after it. This is where the OPERATOR needs to pay attention. If the firing sequence seems awry then investigate before sticking another round in the chamber. JMHO</div></div>

Nicely said FNP!

Scary but also good to know this is probably a result from reloading incorrectly. I have fired about 150k factory rounds in my life and have never had anything remotely like this happen.

Good to hear you weren't seriously injured. Not good to hear of your misfortune.

If it were mine, I'd write off the entire rifle with the exception of handguard and buttstock. Knowing that there was a serious overpressure condition with this rifle already, I would not want to tempt fate with reusing any of those parts. Realistically, I'd probably retreive all the parts that I could and hang it over the reloading bench as a warning to make dang sure I checked every load, every time.

Thanks for the reminder to stay alert. I would have to clean my shorts after that one......

Glad you're ok. As a reloader I always am concerned about that happening and when running at high speed it would be easy to do what you did. Had a squib with a rimfire for the first time just the other day and caught it before letting off the following round in my S&W 617 wheelgun. I agree you probably had a squib as I can't see a round being chambered having the ability to push another loose bullet into the barrel without jamming first.

I think there was a story floating around a few forums kinda like this, except it was a M1A and it split the barrel and everything. I will look around for it.

Glad you OK.

Glad to hear that you are okay. Thankfully it turned out as well as it did. Explosions like that close to your head is bad mojo for sure.

....and if something is not right...goes wrong....clear the chamber/barrel before seeking to fire the weapon. Fundamental 4-H stuff.

We had this one happen on the range last year from a squib with factory LC ammo (also with minimal injuries). Blew out the upper similar to the OP's. Good reinforcement on the importance of eye pro as you never know when you will need it, but I'll stick with my Oakleys....
wink.gif

Working as a RO for a long time, you really have to be careful with squibs and make sure you're not in too much of a rush to get that next round off when you have a FTF. I've seen a couple dozen with factory ammo both in and out of the service, so keep in mind they do happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....and if something is not right...goes wrong....clear the chamber/barrel before seeking to fire the weapon. Fundamental 4-H stuff. </div></div>

+10000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bassfishindoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the upper did its job and saved you from the blast. Better the upper takes the brunt of the blast than your face! </div></div>

I'm actually surprised the upper held up so well when you consider the chamber pressure of a .223 and also a 5.56. Thanks for sharing the pics and experience.

Welcome to the club man. I'm glad you're ok. I too had an m76 explode in my face due to faulty ammo. It's a scary event to be a part of, especially when you're left handed like me and have your face right next to the ejection port.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....and if something is not right...goes wrong....clear the chamber/barrel before seeking to fire the weapon. Fundamental 4-H stuff. </div></div>

And if there is one single lesson to be learned here, that's it right there.

Yep, as basic a fundamental as it can get.......

Agree with everyone, glad you are okay. Having had a couple of squibs myself I can say without a doubt, after teaching safty to my wife a daughter next is FTF, FTE and squibs. I Loaded my daughters .22 and had her shoot it 100 times or so with me watching very close. told her that the gun should ALWAYS sound and feel just like that. If the sound and/or recoil are different at all stop and figure out why.

There must be a dozen videos on youtube with guns blowing up, that have a failure the trigger pull BEFORE the trigger pull that blows the gun up.

Awhile back I bought myself a pair of Tyvex Rx shooting glasses because I shoot allot and now and again, blow a primer, and shoot steel with pistol.

A month later my brother was working on a construction job. The clown near him, horse-playing, wanted to see how far into a 2x6 he could drive a 16penny nail with one strike of the hammer. But the nail ricocheted out, struck my brother in the eye. He lost it.

I'm really glad Jt still has both eyes. Thanks be to God.

http://www.6mmbr.com/eyeprotection.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't completely agree with TallShot's argument that he doesn't reload anymore for semis because of the danger. That is his decision. I admit that this can be a dangerous hobby if care isn't always taken. Not to load for semis is his decision. However, care must be taken with each round loaded for ANY firearm. You must always verify the powder level in each case before seating the bullet. Since no one has examined (by report) the failed to fire casing...I suspect that the round was not charged with powder, or enough powder, to push the bullet out. I have seen many mistakes like this...in pistols with lead bullets, the primer is enough to drive the bullet forward enough to chamber another round. With jacketed bullets, the primer isn't usually enough...needs a few grains or so of powder to drive it far enough into the bore for a subsequent round to feed. That is my diagnosis...a squib round then a full bore round seated after it. This is where the OPERATOR needs to pay attention. If the firing sequence seems awry, and not enough noise ensues, then investigate before sticking another round in the chamber. JMHO</div></div>

Seen this scenario twice in the past month, both by experienced reloaders. Both times they lucked out in that the subsequent rounds where unbable to properly feed thus causing a jam and grabbing their attention. Moments like those realy open your eyes up to the dangers of reloading. Too often I find even myself with ONLY a little over 2yrs reloading getting a bit laxed and having to go back and recheck a round or even a few in a batch.

am i the only one who cannot see the pics? bandwidth exceeded for days now.

I know a guy that had the same problem. Good thing it ended with just a minor issues!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">am i the only one who cannot see the pics? bandwidth exceeded for days now. </div></div>

I can't see them either.