• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My buddy won the AR lottery (not the good kind)

357Max

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 11, 2019
    Marylandistan
    I usually fly solo when going to the range, but I've had a few friends bugging me to take them.
    Brought 5 of them last weekend, 3 of which are brand spanking new to guns.

I do enjoy teaching new shooters, but look forward to my next solo outing.

1 Girl that was new had a 1911 45 home built POS she inherited. She also had and AR that ran perfect thankfully.
    1 dude had a Kimber 1911 9mm that kept stove piping cause he was limp wristing it.
    Another buddy had an M&P 15 that turned into a single shot after his first round (lottery winner).
    1 chick had an absolute blast shooting a Walther P-22 that I just completely reworked.

Needless to say I was busy and came home with 2 broken guns to fix (theirs).

The single shot AR I figured out pretty quick at the range but just got around to fixing it.

What are the odds?
    Apparently the very first shot he took blew a primer that went straight into the gas key. It was deep enough that the gas tube wasn't touching, but I bet he put another 30 rounds through it firing single shot & the gas pressure pretty well swagged the fucking primer in the key.

IMG_6091.jpg

How/why did he lose the primer to begin with? Hand loads?
    He was shooting M855 factory he bought at the range. They were in a zip lock bags @ 50 pc's per. Probably Aguila, that would explain it!
    Before I figured out what had happened I checked a few of his manually ejected cases and they looked good. No pressure signs at all.

The odds have to be incredibly high for a first shot primer up the poop shoot.

Heard of the primer in the gas key trick quite a few times now.
    The Kimber wasn't working because it said Kimber on the side.
    I'd heard of the primer in gas key, but this was the 1st time I've seen it in person.

The over rated Kimber was about 1 in 3 stove pipes. He handed it to me and I ran 2 mags through without issue. I think with the 115's it just needs a firm grip. Suggested he get a reduced power spring, shoot 124's +, or just man up & grip it.

The 1911 45 is going to require parts and some work on my part. She ran 1 mag through it with a few stove pipes & then asked me to try it. I fired exactly 1 round and the slide locked up tight. I got the slide apart & realized neither the grip safety or regular safety are functional.

When I finally got to shoot my own gun (new Staccato P duo, RMR, Surefire) it ran like a sowing machine:D. The guy with the Kimber is now jealous.

The Kimber wasn't working because it said Kimber on the side.
    Oh, man...I have 2 Kimbers. A rifle and a handgun. The rifle is not as accurate as my 1943? 03A3 and the 1911 style handgun has a plastic mainspring housing and is difficult to disassemble without their special little piece of wire or a paper clip.
    Most over rated firearms ever made.

and the 1911 style handgun has a plastic mainspring housing and is difficult to disassemble without their special little piece of wire or a paper clip.
    Most over rated firearms ever made.
    They make great safe queens though. You gotta feel bad for the unsuspecting owner that thinks he should use one in a pistol match. Always ends in tears.

I usually fly solo when going to the range, but I've had a few friends bugging me to take them.
    Brought 5 of them last weekend, 3 of which are brand spanking new to guns.

I do enjoy teaching new shooters, but look forward to my next solo outing.

1 Girl that was new had a 1911 45 home built POS she inherited. She also had and AR that ran perfect thankfully.
    1 dude had a Kimber 1911 9mm that kept stove piping cause he was limp wristing it.
    Another buddy had an M&P 15 that turned into a single shot after his first round (lottery winner).
    1 chick had an absolute blast shooting a Walther P-22 that I just completely reworked.

Needless to say I was busy and came home with 2 broken guns to fix (theirs).

The single shot AR I figured out pretty quick at the range but just got around to fixing it.

What are the odds?
    Apparently the very first shot he took blew a primer that went straight into the gas key. It was deep enough that the gas tube wasn't touching, but I bet he put another 30 rounds through it firing single shot & the gas pressure pretty well swagged the fucking primer in the key.

View attachment 7584045

A blown primer in the gas key! I thought that only happened to me. I did not continue firing after my mishap. Found a small drill bit caught the culprit like an easy out. I figured no one would belive me.

If I took three guys to the range that had never fired a weapon, I'd probably have a god damn stroke.

Good on you, for your patience and fixing firearms that aren't yours.
    Yeah I usually just give them the ole fix this m*therf*cker and buy something decent.

I'd heard of the primer in gas key, but this was the 1st time I've seen it in person.

The over rated Kimber was about 1 in 3 stove pipes. He handed it to me and I ran 2 mags through without issue. I think with the 115's it just needs a firm grip. Suggested he get a reduced power spring, shoot 124's +, or just man up & grip it.

The 1911 45 is going to require parts and some work on my part. She ran 1 mag through it with a few stove pipes & then asked me to try it. I fired exactly 1 round and the slide locked up tight. I got the slide apart & realized neither the grip safety or regular safety are functional.

When I finally got to shoot my own gun (new Staccato P duo, RMR, Surefire) it ran like a sowing machine:D. The guy with the Kimber is now jealous.
    The real problem is someone owning a 1911 that is not a .45. Let’s take a design that was built for a low pressure round that does nothing but work and fuck it up by making it shoot a less effective high pressure round. Sounds like a Congressional committee recommendation.

State Police sgt where I work carries a Kimber pro-carry. I feel so much safer when I see all that MIM 😏

Reactions: Mike_Honcho
    He was shooting M855 factory he bought at the range. They were in a zip lock bags @ 50 pc's per. Probably Aguila, that would explain it!

I doubt they were Aguila or any other professional outfit. I bet they were Joe Bob's reman ammo.

I haven't shot much Aguila pistol or rifle ammo, but what I've used has been fine. I do have gone through flats and flats of Aguila clay target shotgun loads and they are the real deal both in performance and in reliability.

I doubt they were Aguila or any other professional outfit. I bet they were Joe Bob's reman ammo.

I haven't shot much Aguila pistol or rifle ammo, but what I've used has been fine. I do have gone through flats and flats of Aguila clay target shotgun loads and they are the real deal both in performance and in reliability.
    Aguila 7.62x51
    Never any issues out of my first gen Sig 716 till I shot this stuff.
    Other 7.62x51 I have shot plenty of, is stuff from MEN with no issues. This was my second outing with it. The first time had a case stuck so bad I had to pry my carrier out with a screwdriver. Had two or three cases looking just the same. You couldn't give me a 30' container load for free if I had to keep it. Would only give it to my worst enemy.
    20210211_234337.jpg
    20210211_234448.jpg

Aguila 7.62x51
    Never any issues out of my first gen Sig 716 till I shot this stuff.
    Other 7.62x51 I have shot plenty of, is stuff from MEN with no issues. This was my second outing with it. The first time had a case stuck so bad I had to pry my carrier out with a screwdriver. Had two or three cases looking just the same. You couldn't give me a 30' container load for free if I had to keep it. Would only give it to my worst enemy.
    View attachment 7585754
    View attachment 7585759
    Yep I will only use it for extreme function testing.
    When I got my DPMS dialed in & wanted to prove it would run any 308............Aguila 7.62 was the test.

It served that purpose well. The gun ran it, but I got a face full of gas everytime it pierced a primer. The ejector swipes were epic raised burrs.
    Brass is butter & primers are trash.

Hard to believe these were shot from the same gun, same day.

AR308T25.jpg

Sounds like too much recoil spring or too little extractor tension. Extractor tensions seems to be hard for some co to get right. Buddy had a sti that was a jammomatic until I fixed extractor, needed a radius and less tension.

You must be a saint, that sounds like a terrible time at the range.

I will only deal with female noobs.

Guys are a pain in the ass. The less they know about shooting and guns the less they listen to those who do.

This is so true. Trying to help a coworker and two range trips in and I feel like it’s a waste of time.

I got a couple buddies that always give me eye rolls for being kind of OCD with my guns and loads.

Then they act amazed when my stuff shoots and works. Even my POS Kimber that everyone knows should neither group, feed, or even go bang to begin with. Not so much because it’s a Kimber, but because it’s not a Glock.

One got pretty annoyed with me when his Glock (full size .40, whatever number that is) kept jamming and I dared to hose it down with rem oil and then actually ran a mag through it, uninterrupted. That said, he’s been a lot better since he got off the booze.

I keep shooting (and golfing, and hunting, and fishing) with them though. I gotta keep at least 6 buddies (one per handle).

I’ve played the “dig a primer out of an AR” before. Pain in the tail. Learned my lesson about worn out primer pockets. Never seen one stuck in the gas key before. Thank god that didn’t happen to me, I’d still be trying to figure out what was wrong with it.😂

Reactions: 308pirate
    So mechanically.... the bolt picks up the primer in mid air alii oop style and seats it in the gas tube like the primer cup on a reloading press? What are the tolerances here?!?! Seems like a design flaw that should be adressed. Murphys law makes me nervous about this. Time to switch to piston operated.

The best part is trying to explain load development for a precision rifle when he is an “experienced” reloader lol. All I can say is holy fuck and I’m out 🤪
    There's this guy at work who always wants to talk guns with me.

He's like 5'5", 300 lbs, always buying guns he never shoots, never has been to any credible training nor has ever developed his handgun skills on his own, never puts himself to the test in any kind of competition, but he's on the "church security team".

I avoid him like the plague.

He's like 5'5", 300 lbs, always buying guns he never shoots, never has been to any credible training nor has ever developed his handgun skills on his own, never puts himself to the test in any kind of competition, but he's on the "church security team".

Never go to the range with those guys, but keep in touch... those are the type of guys I will happily buy guns off of when they need some cash. Once you wipe off the cheeto dust, it's basically NIB.

• Haha

Well, they don’t make church security like they use to😀

Attachments

• FEDD3EF8-7EE6-425E-AECA-0C00B63D19A5.jpeg
      FEDD3EF8-7EE6-425E-AECA-0C00B63D19A5.jpeg
      50.8 KB · Views: 27
    No i learned it from knowing how to run a lathe and a mill. When you assume it makes you an ass.

You still don't know shit about how to design parts to go together or how to actually assemble them.

Tolerances alone don't tell you shit about how two parts fit.

Tell us, genius, how's the fit betwen a hole ID of 5.000 +/- .0002 and a pin OD of 4.000 +/- .0002?

I have a few friends with a local law enforcement agency, that has to qualify ever so often. A few years back, they were qualifying with their ar's, and were blowing primers left and right with LC xm193. Brand new ammo. They DON'T shoot handloads. Never stuck one in the gas key, afaik.

You still don't know shit about how to design parts to go together or how to actually assemble them.

Tolerances alone don't tell you shit about how two parts fit.

Tell us, genius, how's the fit betwen a hole ID of 5.000 +/- .0002 and a pin OD of 4.000 +/- .0002?
    So some ass hat with 14,000 posts on a firearms sight calls me a person who learns something off of a firearms sight a poser and then asks me to do work for him. My response is, fuck you. I see your posts on here acting like someone who knows it all, but talking alot isnt doing alot. If i wanna find out the fit of that i can go and make it in real life. Can you? Im guessing it would fit about like the retaining pin on a mini 14s guide rod locator.

I have a few friends with a local law enforcement agency, that has to qualify ever so often. A few years back, they were qualifying with their ar's, and were blowing primers left and right with LC xm193. Brand new ammo. They DON'T shoot handloads. Never stuck one in the gas key, afaik.
    I didn't bother measuring, but a sml rifle primer fits. My guess is it's a loose fit, but all bet's are off when the primer is blown (likely swells). Against very long odds; this one went in the key cup out. I'm guessing here but I suspect the gas tube seated it right over the angled connector hole in the key (that's where it was parked). The full port pressure from his next shot swagged the damn thing in there bulging into the angled hole.
    To fix it I had to run through about 6 # drills until nothing was left. It had such a good bite on the angled hole it wouldn't budge.

After seeing this I'll be sticking with large primers in my large frame DPMS's since they don't fit in the Key!

I got a couple buddies that always give me eye rolls for being kind of OCD with my guns and loads.

Then they act amazed when my stuff shoots and works. Even my POS Kimber that everyone knows should neither group, feed, or even go bang to begin with. Not so much because it’s a Kimber, but because it’s not a Glock.

One got pretty annoyed with me when his Glock (full size .40, whatever number that is) kept jamming and I dared to hose it down with rem oil and then actually ran a mag through it, uninterrupted. That said, he’s been a lot better since he got off the booze.

I keep shooting (and golfing, and hunting, and fishing) with them though. I gotta keep at least 6 buddies (one per handle).

I’ve played the “dig a primer out of an AR” before. Pain in the tail. Learned my lesson about worn out primer pockets. Never seen one stuck in the gas key before. Thank god that didn’t happen to me, I’d still be trying to figure out what was wrong with it.😂
    Cremation.
    Only 1 required.