• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My buddy's first custom rifle build. pics

jasonahull

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
everett washington
My buddy is finally building a custom rifle.
It will be a remington 700 chambered in 300 win mag.
It will have a 26" carbon wrapped benchmark barrel,
bolt knob, muzzle break...the works.
The stock is a grey bull precision. I didn't like the finish on the stock, so Jeff gave me the green light to do a guick camo job. I started by stripping off the texture and webbing that was on there from the makers. I added some texture to the grip and forend like mcmillan has. Then I primered it with 2 part automotive primer and filled it the all pits. Then i put on the first color and taped it off, and repeated 3 more times.
I hope he likes it.
The rifle should be done next week. In the mean time here are some pics of the stock.
jeffsstock9.jpg

jeffsstock8.jpg

jeffsstock7.jpg

jeffsstock6.jpg

jeffsstock5.jpg

jeffsstock4.jpg

jeffsstock3.jpg

jeffsstock2-2.jpg

jeffsrifle2.jpg

jeffsrifle.jpg

Re: My buddy's first custom rifle build. pics

Nice JOB, very nice. I see you are not that far away from your Grand Pa (young 66 LOL) Maybe you could paint mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you paint it gloss? just wet? </div></div>

When it is all done it will be matt finish. I am going to clear it with polyurethane clear then sand it smooth. Then the final coat will be matt clear. I think that will make it more durable.

Thanks. I think it will look good with the carbon wrapped barrel and the action painted green. At least I hope so.

It must be nice to have the shop finished. At least now you can enjoy being in there.

Thats a pretty cool camo job.

Here are some more pictures.
His doner rifle and barrel blank.
And another of the paint process.
The action and barrel work are done so more pictures coming soon.
jeffsrifle5.jpg

jeffsrifle4.jpg

This is how the finish turned out.
I put on 2 coats of poly urathane clear, then sanded it smooth and put on 3 coats of matt finish clear.
Came out pretty good.
jeffsrifle6.jpg

Here are some more. It is ready for cerakote.
I did a "dry fit" to see how it looks.
After cerakote it will only need bedding and the karston installed.
The action, shank, muzzle break and rail wil be the tan that is in the stock.
I really like the way Jerry at Benchmark fits the bolt handle, he does a good job.

jeffsrifle8.jpg

jeffsrifle12.jpg

jeffsrifle11.jpg

jeffsrifle7.jpg

jeffsrifle10.jpg

jeffsrifle9.jpg

great job!

That looks awesome! Wish I had more friends in my area like you sir!

What's cool is he is leaning toward a nightforce. For his first custom rifle, he isn't messing around.

Cerakoted. Coyote tan with a couple of drops of graphite black. Now its back to the Benchmark for reassembly and bedding, then its done.

jeffsrifle15.jpg

jeffsrifle14.jpg

Looking good, just have one question... Whats the deal with the carbon wrapped barrel? Excuse the ignorance.

It is what he wanted. Saves a little weight. some say it cools faster, others say it doesn't. Basically, it is what he wants.

Cant argue with the customer, i just didnt know the benifits.
Your doing a good job on it, he should be pretty excited.

Does Cerakoting the entire action and bolt have any effect on the performance? Is the action blueprinted?

Thanks. He is pretty excited. The cerakote is pretty thin so I don't think it affects performance, it adds corrosion protection. And yeah the action has been trued.

ok, here it is mostly finished. I took it back to Benchmark today and reassembled the bolt, installed the trigger and put it in the stock. Made sure it feed rounds good ect. Ron will have the final say on function and everything, I was just killing time. All that is left is titanium devcon bedding, tune the trigger, and install the karsten cheek rest. But here is what the finished rifle will look like. I put a nightforce on to show him since he is leaning towards one anyway. Finished weight is 9 lbs 3 oz without bedding so it should be a decent rifle to pack. I am pretty happy with how it looks, next pictures will be of whats really important....how it shoots.

jeffsrifle16.jpg

jeffsrifle18.jpg

jeffsrifle17.jpg

Update. My buddy decided on the nightforce with npr1 and zero stops. We should be ordering up the scope soon.
I am also going to do a "break in" for him.
wink.gif
I should have some groups up soon. Stay tuned.........

Beautiful! But those are some HIGH mounts. I'm guessing that's what you had around?

That scope isn't his. It was just in the shop, so I put it on so he could see what it looks like. His will be mounted lower for sure. He was going between a mark 4 and the nightforce so that picture was just to help him see what to expect.

gonna be a shooter for sure! very nice work.

Turned out great. Would be cool if you painted the Karsten to match the stock camo. Looks good anyway though.

Here it is finished.
final weight with the 5.5-22 power night force,
13.5 pounds.
range report coming soon.........

2012-03-07_0951122.jpg

I like it, im ready to see the holes in paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it, im ready to see the holes in paper. </div></div>

Me too. I am going to do some 100 yard shooting then when I bring it to him he has a 5 or 600 yard range by his house. So we should have lots of holes in paper. And just maybe later this year a hole in a nice Buck.

Re: My buddy's first custom rifle, range report

Here are groups from the first 20 rounds.
I am going to try some hand loads on monday.
These were shot with black hills ammo.
It is cool to see the groups tighten up as the barrel breaks in.
Looking good so far.
The last group is a total of 6 shots, 5 in the group and then down 2 clicks and one shot for zero. Out of ammo. and a total of 21 rounds through the barrel.

2012-03-10_2118122.jpg

2012-03-10_2117552.jpg

2012-03-10_2117502.jpg

Re: My buddy's first custom rifle, range report

I got two measurements on the last group. .735 and .801
Either way not bad for the first 20 and factory ammo