• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My "budget" Savage Experiment & Bell and Carlson Medalist 6 Review

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    New member here, and first dive into precision/long(er) range shooting. .22's and AR's have kept my interest for a long time but recently I've wanted to get into longer distances. I bought my first property 2 years ago and now have a kid on the way, so as much as I would love to own a custom action, I decided to try and keep this little project as "budget" as possible. This allows me the most time for actual shooting, as opposed to saving up and buying piece by piece...and it also gives me the most money for ammo.

Anyways, picked up a Savage 10sba in 6.5cm a while back on sale(ish) for $380. 24" threaded barrel, 20moa factory scope rail, etc.

IMG_3269.jpg

Topped it with a Razor II 4.5-27 w/ EBR 2C reticle. Picked this up in a trade, and while I understand this isn't a "budget" scope, I technically only paid $800 for it ($700 for the scope I traded for it, plus $100; came with mount)...which is obviously a steal and I'm not passing that up. So I'm counting it as $800 lol... which is budget-esque precision scope price. I did pick up some Vortex PMR 0.92" rings off here to bring the scope a little closer to the rifle. The 0.92" rings DO fit, with the sunshade and Defender cap on...but it is close.

It came with the obvious Tupperware stock, so I picked up a Bell & Carlson Medalist 6 stock over Black Friday sales for $373. The Savage 10sba is a blind magazine model, however after talking to Jeff at CDI (before he passed), I bought the Medalist 6 which is fit exactly for the Savage factory DBM, which is what CDI bottom medal is modeled after.

I was fortunate enough to find a used Savage 4.4" CDI dbm here on the forum, and bought that for $125. Coupled with a Magpul AICS mag on black friday for $28, I've got a good base to work with now.

I really contemplated picking up a Manners T7 or T2 that was in stock on Manners website, and prefit for the CDI for a savage...but I just couldn't pay almost 2-3x the money for a stock. Again, I'd rather have $500-$700 for ammo or diapers lol. So I went with the Tactical Medalist style 6 and I am pretty impressed honestly. I realized I'm newer to the precision rifle game, but I really like the feel and overall fit/finish of this stock. I'm sure a Manners or McMillan have their benefits and eventually would love one, but for now the cheaper option was the winner.

IMG_3779.jpg

The CDI bottom metal was almost a perfect fit. I did need to remove just a little bit of metal from the aluminum bed, on the inside where the CDI bottom metal magwell fits into the stock. Taking a little bit off at a time, I got a nice snug fit. The extended actions screws that came with the bottom metal were perfect. The rear trigger guard screw position did need drilled out in the stock, I used a 7/64 bit and it went in snug.

The magpul mag works well so far, fits snug but easily removable and is a tight, but not difficult fit when fully loaded against the bolt.

IMG_3781.jpg

Absolutely no modification was needed for the stock, or anything done to the barrel channel. It was a pretty much perfect fit. The stock comes with a 1in decelerator pad, and this model has the cheek riser. Two steel pins, with slots cut in them every 1/4 in or so run up and down the pins. There are two c clips in the slots, so you can move the c clips to lock the position should the cheek riser bolt fail. The comb riser is tightened and loosened by a single allen key on the side. It locked up nicely. I'll see how well it stays tight over time and usage.

IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg

The barrel channel was true and straight, and easily free floated all the way up the barrel. There is a tiny bit of flex but you really have to push hard on the end of the stock. I can't imagine you would or could put enough pressure directly on the end of the stock to actually touch the barrel, at least not in normal PRS style positions.
    IMG_3784.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy so far. I have just under $1800 total in the rifle with all accessories and components. It really loves the factory 147gr ELD-M's and was shooting 1/3-1/2 moa 3 shot groups and 1/2-3/4moa 5 shot groups at 100yds. I'll be taking these out to 400-600yds soon at my family farm.
    In the future, as the gun fund allows, I'd love to add:
    -Muzzle Brake
    -Suppressor
    -More mags (possibly a mix of metal and polymer to try different ones)
    -Reloading components for 6.5cm (I reload now, just need to buy dies/components/etc.)

IMG_3778.jpg

I'll continue to update with range reports, etc. in the future and any future mods.

As always, any positive advice is welcomed. Thanks

Welcome. You’ve done some homework, and put together a nice rifle that will serve you well. My first LR rifle was a Savage, and believe me when I say they are a gateway drug. I say add an Area 419 Hellfire brake, Gamechanger bag, and spend the rest on ammo (and diapers lol). Dry fire it, shoot it, dry fire, enjoy.

Welcome. You’ve done some homework, and put together a nice rifle that will serve you well. My first LR rifle was a Savage, and believe me when I say they are a gateway drug. I say add an Area 419 Hellfire brake, Gamechanger bag, and spend the rest on ammo (and diapers lol). Dry fire it, shoot it, dry fire, enjoy.

Thank you and its hard to beat a $400 rifle that will shoot better than me for now. Hahaha, I can imagine. I highly doubt this will be my last precision rifle, and I can imagine they'll only get fancier as I go.

A solid bag is on the list as well. My local club only has 300yds but they do mini PRS matches with barricades and what not, so I'd like to start doing those regularly.

With 6.5cm being a bit more expensive than the .223 I'm used to, I'm sure more dry-firing will be on the list lol. Thanks man

Looks awesome! Enjoy it! I know the feeling of buying diapers. Got a one year old at home!

Reactions: Gustav7
    That barrel is dead now:(
    It was a Shilen in 260 and was replaced with another Shilen in 260, it’s forth 260 barrel.
    I swap my own barrels and it’s easy peasy to do.

A4C07C45-06F9-465E-BAFC-7ED5CD834FC8.jpeg

It’s a bad picture but here is my model 12 LRP. It’s a great rifle. Setting in the factory HS stock. I put a Timney trigger in it. Steiner t5xi 5/25. Most accurate rifle I own. .220 is the best it’s shot at 100 yards.

I had a 6.5CM Savage FLCP-K that - once I dropped it in an MDT chassis - was an easy .4-.5MOA gun all day long. I've since 'upgraded' to a Tikka, but would not hesitate to own another Savage.

It’s a bad picture but here is my model 12 LRP. It’s a great rifle. Setting in the factory HS stock. I put a Timney trigger in it. Steiner t5xi 5/25. Most accurate rifle I own. .220 is the best it’s shot at 100 yards.

Great looking rifle man, those really catch the eye, especially from the factory like that. I'm pretty happy with the accutrigger on this thing so far. It seems pretty damn light to me for a factory trigger. Its noticeably better than the X-Mark Pro trigger I had on my old R700, at least to me anyways.

The best 3 shot / 100yds I've shot thus far was 0.30". I'd love to be able to do that more consistently. I realize thats not everything, but its nice to see regardless lol. Hoping this stock helps my position and cheek weld more than anything. That factory stock was junk lol.
    IMG_3225.JPG

I did a similar project. Bought a Savage 10 in 308, sold the barrel and picked up a prefit 22-250 AI. Threw it all together and it shoots great! I'll probably end up throwing it into a BC stock as well. The factory stock does ok, but I wouldn't mind a little more stable platform.

I did a similar project. Bought a Savage 10 in 308, sold the barrel and picked up a prefit 22-250 AI. Threw it all together and it shoots great! I'll probably end up throwing it into a BC stock as well. The factory stock does ok, but I wouldn't mind a little more stable platform.

So far this barrels shoots good enough for me, at least for now. Figured I can shoot it out and upgrade to a pre-fit later. I have more than enough practice needed that this barrel can help me with. The model 10sba model was definitely the discount model, and the stock is where it showed. It was flimsy, small, and super skinny. It wasn't much bigger than my Mk2 .22 stock lol.

I'm sure the B&C stocks aren't always great, and probably aren't quite as nice as a Manners or McMillan, but I tell you what, I'm impressed me for $370. Its definitely the nicest stock I've held that doesn't cost 4 digits. It will do well for my purpose. My next build I'll probably get a chassis to try that route out. This project I wanted to keep a little more classic.

Reactions: waspocrew

How do you like the .22-250AI? and do you think the Ackley Improved is worth it on a .22-250?

How do you like the .22-250AI? and do you think the Ackley Improved is worth it on a .22-250?

It's a fun round! Accuracy is spot on while fireforming and it's pretty quick. I'm going to start working with the 80 gr ELDM and H4350 soon.

I think the 22-250 AI really shines when you're slinging the 75+ grain pills. For anything less, I'd probably just stick with the regular 22-250.

During the black Friday sales, cabelas had the savage 12 LRP on sale and with a rebate as well. The whole deal came out to like 299.99. I was almost considering buying it just as a budget beat up gun. They've been proven to be decent shooters, regardless of them being a savage.

Maybe next time I'll actually go through with the purchase...

Reactions: Joeydias3
    During the black Friday sales, cabelas had the savage 12 LRP on sale and with a rebate as well. The whole deal came out to like 299.99. I was almost considering buying it just as a budget beat up gun. They've been proven to be decent shooters, regardless of them being a savage.

Maybe next time I'll actually go through with the purchase...
    My buddy has a 12 LRP in 6.5 cm. To be honest it’s one of the best shooting guns I’ve seen. Puts them damn near in one hole at 200 yards. That would have been a hell of a good deal!

It's a fun round! Accuracy is spot on while fireforming and it's pretty quick. I'm going to start working with the 80 gr ELDM and H4350 soon.

I think the 22-250 AI really shines when you're slinging the 75+ grain pills. For anything less, I'd probably just stick with the regular 22-250.

Thats awesome, and sounds like a hell of a time. Would love to hear how those 80gr ELD-M's do in that; accuracy, velocity, terminal performance etc. Thanks

Reactions: waspocrew
    My buddy has a 12 LRP in 6.5 cm. To be honest it’s one of the best shooting guns I’ve seen. Puts them damn near in one hole at 200 yards. That would have been a hell of a good deal!

They bring up that deal a lot actually. So it's bounds to happen again I'm guessing sometime for new years or early 2020...

Just wish it came threaded...

That’s the one gripe my friend has with it. No muzzle threads

that’s sort of what I was thinking when I got the 10sba instead. Between the threaded muzzle and nice thread cap, 20moa rail installed from factory, knurled “tactical” bolt knob etc, it was a winner for me. To get the 12LRP to that would run more than the deal was worth IMHO.

that being said, if I would have seen that deal before I bought the 10SBA, I prolly would have jumped on it lol. But I’m happy with what I have. I have roughly $875 in the rifle without accessories or optics. Thats the rifle, stock, scope rail, and CDI bottom metal.

I’m happy with that lol. There’s always a better deal somewhere right?

This is everything I am trying and failing to do with my Savage .270. Got a takeoff Accustock for cheap and a PTG bottom metal that fits it, but doesn’t feed.

This is everything I am trying and failing to do with my Savage .270. Got a takeoff Accustock for cheap and a PTG bottom metal that fits it, but doesn’t feed.

do you know why it’s not feeding?
    Is the mag binding up/down?
    Are the rounds catching on something?
    bottom metal too tight?
    Possibly the bottom metal fits but isn’t fitting good enough to allow feeding?

when I put the CDI in the B&C stock I almost kept it where it was after some initial sanding, but went back and worked it a bit more so the mag wasn’t as tight in the mag well. This made feeding better and taking the mag in/out better

do you know why it’s not feeding?
    Is the mag binding up/down?
    Are the rounds catching on something?
    bottom metal too tight?
    Possibly the bottom metal fits but isn’t fitting good enough to allow feeding?

when I put the CDI in the B&C stock I almost kept it where it was after some initial sanding, but went back and worked it a bit more so the mag wasn’t as tight in the mag well. This made feeding better and taking the mag in/out better
    Mags aren’t seating properly. Mag catch doesn’t engage, feed lips are too low for the bolt to pick them up. Can’t tell if there’s an inlet problem in the stock or an interference in the action.

Good looking savages! Are the feed lips holding the round to low and not allowing the bolt to catch the round? I had to adjust the feed lips on my Savage 338-375 Ruger.

Figured I'd throw this out there about the low rings and a Razor II 4.5-27x56 that I'm using on this rifle.

I picked up the low Vortex PMR rings at 0.92".
    20MOA rail from the factory
    "heavy" barrel not sure what actual contour this is. Close to Rem. Varmint probably.

Worth mentioning that it fits WITH the sunshade as well.

IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3809.jpg

The only caveat to all this fitting was actually the magnification knob. The scope is so low that the thicker magnification ring will only go so forward before it hits the mount. Luckily for me, the best spot was just before it touched. But for you tall guys and giraffe dudes, this could be a problem without adjustable length of pull.

IMG_3813.jpg

Not sure how many times this has been brought up, but if anyone thinks its warranted to be made into a topic/thread in the optics forum, let me know. I'm newer so not sure the rules on double posting in a situation like this. Threads like these have helped me with reference material over the last 5-6 years.

Nice looking rifle. Savages are great platforms to start with. I have owned Savages for 35 years. All of them shooters and I have been lucky in that no extraction issues.

Smart move Gustav spend your hard earned money on ammo. Too many guys put too much stock in the gear, and not enough in practice. Just as many buy a rifle they can't afford to feed. Perfect practice will make you the shot you wish to be. Good shooting.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
    Love my savage! I’ve got nicer rifles but this one has sentimental value and is a hammer! Check our our ELR rear bags to really squeeze accuracy out. I designed this bag because I was frustrated with every rear bag being the same- just a sack of beads.

Check out the demo video on the front page. It’s the best way to visualize what the fill feels like without being able to touch it.
    PrecisionUndergroundRifleGear.com

Nice looking rifle. Savages are great platforms to start with. I have owned Savages for 35 years. All of them shooters and I have been lucky in that no extraction issues.

I have a 10FP from 2001 that's been a shooter all along. The barrel (factory 24" 260) was good to 1100yd, but I replaced it in 2003 with a Lothar-Walther 28" SAAMI 260, and it's continued its run. I shoot it sparingly and probably have around 1200-1500rd through it.

I've had extraction issues. To a one, every one was due to an excessive pressure load blowing primers. Have been reloading since about 1995; the load data was from elsewhere, and even decreasing it by 1gr, it was still too hot. It was developed to function in 3 'identical' rifles, but mine didn't like it that much; accurate, yes, 1000yd, yes, but too hot for the action taking it from NY to NM.

I've determined that for my purposes, going with/near max loads has no practical value. There is no load that will allow one to negate the value of refining one's wind skills. That's the reality.

I'm not looking for ultra stellar accuracy; 1MOA is certainly good enough, 1/2MOA is ecstatic. Like most rifles, accuracy is very, very dependent on load development.

Greg

Last edited:

Thank you! I have two savages, this one and a mark2 .22l FVSR. I have been very lucky with this savage, however the Mk II .22 has all sorts of extractor issues. Luckily its a far less expensive rifle lol.

Smart move Gustav spend your hard earned money on ammo. Too many guys put too much stock in the gear, and not enough in practice. Just as many buy a rifle they can't afford to feed. Perfect practice will make you the shot you wish to be. Good shooting.

Thanks, and that was my thought as well. Plus, working in the tree industry isn't going to make me a millionaire...luckily you don't have to be one to be happy lol.

BTW we are trying to get a swept ball handle out for savage if you are interested. Go to our profile and you will see the thread with the link.
    View attachment 7197053

I did see that in the group buys. Very tempting and if my savage had the standard bolt knob I'd pull the trigger, but I like that tactical/extended knob that came on the 10sba for now. Appreciate the heads up though

Part of my thinking revolves around the question, "Are we demanding too much accuracy from our rifles?".

I will quickly admit that for some disciplines, like BR, the question is not relevant.

For others, maybe it is.

Before advancing, I'll agree that it's their money, and if they have standards that demand the ultimate, more power to them. Just be sure to bring money.

Some of us are frugal, if not downright poor. Neither is a hanging offense, and should not by definition preclude an effort, especially an initial one, at deriving better accuracy than the proverbial hunting rifle.

That's where I started, here, nearly 20 years ago. I proposed the idea that the home armorer could invest effort and some frugal cash into improving the factory rifle; and the first step in any project needs to be the defining of the goal. I think that a lot of us got the mental visions of ace marksmen drilling the center 1" out of the target at XXX(X?)yd, and consider that a viable goal. I had them too, and exposure to F Open Class at 1000yd chastened me very quickly.

Fortunately, along with being unrealistic, that sort of goal is also unnecessary. For many of the NRA Competitive disciplines, a 2MOA performance will deliver a perfect score, and many such competitions are completed where nobody earned that perfect score.

The term adequate became my key description. Whether the target is a steel plate, a paper bullseye, or a game animal; it's clear when the target gets defeated, and we don't need to define such things as minute of angle. It's a binary option; defeated/not defeated.

We don't shoot in a vacuum, and the environment hedges against our bets. Coping with that environment is a requisite skill, and upon this depends how much accuracy is required from the hardware.

Perfect skills, and a 2MOA rifle is adequate. Nothing is perfect, and as close as we can get, 1MOA may be a good compromise, but it means constant refinement and application of those skills.

A reasonably good marksman can get 1MOA out of the better factory rifles. These days, they are that good; and of course, there is better for when the skills can support it.

Where a magnification knob blocks forward mounting, an answer can be the next higher size set of rings. That's a good answer when adjustable comb height is an available option.

Greg

Last edited:
    Where a magnification knob blocks forward mounting, an answer can be the next higher size set of rings. That's a good answer when adjustable comb height is an available option.

Greg

The main reason I put the pictures up of the low rings was just for reference for anyone who wanted to see quality photos of that scope with the low (0.92") rings. When looking for rings originally I couldn't find any photos using them so I figured I'd put them up. You're definitely right, I could have gotten higher rings, but I got these for cheap and it happened to work fine for me. Might not work for a taller guy who needs the scope moved forward, and in that case taller rings would fit the bill.

I definitely get what you're saying about rifles and accuracy. Thats what makes all this so fun right? lol ... so many different ways to achieve some of the same thing

Also picked up a keg of H4350 today and some fresh CCI 450's. Hopefully start some initial load development with new Starline SRP brass and 147 ELD-M's here in the next week or two.

Picked up a set of Forster dies and plan on sending the FL resizing die into Forster to have it honed to my specs after a few initial velocity ladder tests with the new brass.

I’m looking for a budget beginner rifle. I like the looks of this. How does the bolt feel? I’ve heard people have issues with the savage bolts. Like binding up easily and very heavy bolt lift. Have you had any problems out of that action? Do you recommend that particular barreled action?

I’m looking for a budget beginner rifle. I like the looks of this. How does the bolt feel? I’ve heard people have issues with the savage bolts. Like binding up easily and very heavy bolt lift. Have you had any problems out of that action? Do you recommend that particular barreled action?

I cannot speak to the longevity yet of my rifle, but so far through the 200ish rounds I have through it I have not had any bolt or extraction issues. The bolt lift on my rifle is relatively light. Taking the bolt apart and cleaning/honing and greasing necessary parts helped alot. The longer tactical knob makes it easier too.

Its important to understand that a factory action like this is never going to be as smooth as a custom action or something like that. The bolt can bind a little given enough force in a weird direction, but generally speaking it does not bind on me no.

I recommend the rifle I bought given the money I spent on it. For $380, I think it provides a VERY good beginner platform, starter rifle, etc. Its accurate enough for me, and after I wear the barrel out, I can screw a better barrel on it from a more premium barrel company.

Reactions: Kwfranklin88