• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My CMP 40XHB

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
The FedEx guy stopped by about 30 minutes ago!
grin.gif

Here's some pics, fresh out of the box:

40X1.jpg

40X2.jpg

40X3.jpg

40X4.jpg

40X5.jpg

40X6.jpg

At this point I couldn't be happier with it. Barrel code is "W L P 8". Near as I can tell that indicates an August of 1964 born on date. The metal is in extremely good condition. Nice crisp bluing... I can't find a speck of rust anywhere on it. A few small scratches here and there but nothing bad at all. The stock is fairly handsome with decent grain. Assorted scratches over much of it but most are only in the finish and not deep at all. No big chunks missing or cracks that I can find at this point.

The crown looks perfect, bore looks great... trigger is very light and super crisp, maybe 1 to 2 pound pull. The actions is <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> US marked, which may be my only *slight* disappointment. The bolt does match, which is probably more important to me than the US mark.

So that's the initial report... I'm going to see about mounting a scope today and hopefully make it to the range tomorrow to see how she shoots. The immediate plan after that is to lightly sand the stock and give it a soft rubbed oil finish.

Beyond that I'm seriously considering making it a trainer for my LTR, which would include cutting the barrel, re-stocking, etc, etc. We'll see...

More to follow...

Re: My CMP 40XHB

Quick update before work...

I removed the sight blocks from the action and put the EGW 20MOA base on. I'm not sure if my rear portion is just a touch on the high side or what, but I had virtually no gap with just the front screws installed. There was no gap at the front of the rear bridge, maybe a couple pieces of paper width gap at the rear of the rear bridge. I torqued it down and am calling that good to go. Pics with no rear screws:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0013-5.jpg

Fully installed:

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Threw on a Burris XTR 6-24 for the range tomorrow:

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0017-3.jpg

Dude that looks like a piece of shit, let me take it off your hands and I will give you a 10/22 with a barska scope.
Just trying to help you out buddy.
Are those seekins rings....lol.

Sweet rig btw.

Mac

Awesome rifle!

Mine came today too. I haven't had a chance to take pictures of it.

I'm happy to hear the EGW base worked for you. I'm planning on ordering a set later today. I thought I read here somewhere you had to shim the rear of the rail on these older 700 actions.

My goal for the night was to dig up that thread.

AJBello, that EGW 20 MOA base looks good on your Remington 40X HB rimfire trainer. Let us know how it shoots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle!

I'm happy to hear the EGW base worked for you. I'm planning on ordering a set later today.<span style="font-size: 14pt"> I thought I read here somewhere you had to shim the rear of the rail on these older 700 actions.</span>

My goal for the night was to dig up that thread. </div></div>

That is my understanding as well. Like I said, not sure if my rear bridge is a touch high, or if the EGW just fits better than others on these... no idea. I do know that when I installed it with front screws only, there was pretty much no gap. It was a pleasant surprise.

Got the 40X out to the range today. It's amazing how much fun a single shot bolt action .22 can be! The wind was 5-10 MPH from the side and kind of gusty, but oh well. I'm pretty happy with it. Pics:

40X7.jpg

40X8.jpg

40X9.jpg

40X10.jpg

40X11.jpg

All of the groups are 5 rounds at 50 yards. On many of them I would place 4 really tight and pull one of them. Even after just one session with it I can tell it's going to help me with my shooting fundamentals, which was the idea behind the purchase in the first place. The Remington Target ammo was the tightest grouping, although for the price / performance ratio I think I'll try and find more of the Federal bulk. It shot it nearly as well and it's way cheaper. The Remington bulk was noticeably less accurate.

I shot it at 200 yards, just at a steel plate and misc dirt clods on the hillside. That was fun
grin.gif
. Incidentally, the Federal bulk needs about 24 MOA elevation @ 200, and the Remington Target (Eley) stuff needed about 30 MOA. If you look at my 50 yard targets, you can see the first Target ammo group was quite a bit lower. I ended up coming up a couple MOA even at 50 to compensate for its lower velocity. I'm pretty sure the Remington Target was staying subsonic, as it was way quieter and obviously slower than both bulk varieties. Shooting out to 200 around 15 power on the scope I could watch the bullet's flight all the way to the target. The rifle really doesn't even move when you shoot. It was a fun afternoon.

Bastard, wished I had the day off to come down and plink with you. Thats a nice little rig you have. You said 5-10mph wind but you forgot thats a swirling wind. I bet on a calm day you will really see that little rifle shine.

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle!

I'm happy to hear the EGW base worked for you. I'm planning on ordering a set later today.<span style="font-size: 14pt"> I thought I read here somewhere you had to shim the rear of the rail on these older 700 actions.</span>

My goal for the night was to dig up that thread. </div></div>

That is my understanding as well. Like I said, not sure if my rear bridge is a touch high, or if the EGW just fits better than others on these... no idea. I do know that when I installed it with front screws only, there was pretty much no gap. It was a pleasant surprise. </div></div>

I appreciate your response. I'm likely going to order an EGW base pretty soon myself based mostly on your post. I hope I have the same luck as you.

Nice shots with that rifle!

So cool to see these rifles in the hands of shooters that really appreciate what they have! I am looking forward to getting mine out soon. Keep up these posts, they are great! Good shooting!
Wind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said, not sure if my rear bridge is a touch high, or if the EGW just fits better than others on these... no idea. I do know that when I installed it with front screws only, there was pretty much no gap. It was a pleasant surprise. </div></div>

With the base sitting on the front receiver ring, did it rock at all when you pushed down the back?

It's not uncommon on any Remington action to have to be shimmed. It's not just the 40X. Brownnells sells ready made shims or you cn just make one from a soda/beer can. Another trick is to use bedding compound. Be sure to use a reease agent so you dont glue the scope base to the rifle. That's a nice one you got there. The stock will look great with just a little work. congrat on a nice score. Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Mann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With the base sitting on the front receiver ring, did it rock at all when you pushed down the back? </div></div>

I didn't try to rock it. I set the base on, and it looked like it fit like a glove. Installed the front screws, and visually checked for a gap in the rear. The base looked to be touching at the front of the rear bridge, and have a VERY slight gap at the rear of the rear bridge (a couple of pieces of paper worth maybe). Basically, it fit as well as most one piece bases on any other rifle I've ever had. No big gap like some of the pictures I've seen with other base / 40X combos.

If I haven't made it clear enough already, THIS IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS ONE RIFLE AND ONE BASE. I am NOT saying that you don't usually need to shim the rear base on these. I am NOT saying this combo will work for everyone. I AM saying it worked for me, and there was no appreciable gap. YMMV of course.

August of 1964 is too early for a 40XB 700 action rifle. Yours would be February of 1967. You use the middle letters in the code.
The 40X series used two actions. From 1955-1964 was the 722 action and 1965 and later uses the 700 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">August of 1964 is too early for a 40XB 700 action rifle. Yours would be February of 1967. You use the middle letters in the code.
The 40X series used two actions. From 1955-1964 was the 722 action and 1965 and later uses the 700 action. </div></div>

My 40X HB is May of 64. It has the B at the end of the serial number and the 700 style bolt number matches the receiver. May 1964 W<span style="font-weight: bold">KL</span>8