• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns My Criterion Savage Pre-fit Experience

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
I ordered a 24" 1/10" .308 Savage pre-fit from NSS, to put on my $280. Bi-Mart 11fcxp3 package gun. The barrel showed up in a month, fairly quick. The barrel shank was cut too long, and was bottoming out on the bolt lugs at about .040 too long. Through Jim Briggs, I returned the barrel. Criterion was profusely apologetic, and I could tell that they were not used to addressing this situation. They corrected it, and bead blasted it, as my weak sandblasting job didn't achieve the finish I was looking for, wrong media. Resuming assembly, I headspaced at 1.630", and shot it yesterday. 168 SMK, 44gr Varget, 1.5 MOA, 2730fps. 168 AMAX, 43.8gr H4895, 1 MOA, 2750fps. 175 SMK, 44.3gr RL15, 3/4 MOA, 2710fps. 190 SMK, 46.5gr 2000MR, .5 MOA, 2705fps. I am a happy camper. These velocities are a mere 10fps slower than what my 27" Rock 1/11.25" are producing. Criterion is good to go. I got a nice hat and a lame shirt for my trouble.

Last edited:
I've got a CBI .223 24", and a 6.5 CM 26", that I got from Jim last summer that I need to get installed soon..............if I can find a damn 6.5 CM headspace gauge somewhere in stock! Good to hear yours is good to go, and that they took care of you.

I ordered a criterion 243 barrel for my police model savage 308, it shoots tiny little groups with the 75gr vmax. Load development was super easy.

My Bad, I thought I was in the gunsmith section. It's shit like this that makes me want to pull all my pistol rounds, to make sure I didn't double charge.

I've had a run in or two with Jim and I was really impressed with how nice the guy was. He was extremely helpful and had a lot of great info. Its good to hear customer service still exists in this day in age.