• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Current Custom Rifle Build List - Thoughts?

Dr Strat Daddy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2017
Hiya, I've recently been looking into purchasing my first custom rifle. I put some parts together, but thought I'd consult some knowledgeable (and opinionated :p) folk before I dropped any serious cash; so I registered here. Without any further ado, let's get to it.

Caliber - 6.5 Creedmoor
Action - Surgeon 591 with SAC Hunter knob installation
Stock - Manners T4A with GAP camo and a bipod rail
Bottom metal - Badger M5 (fed with AI mags)
Barrel - Bartlein Heavy Palma 24" with 1:8 twist
Brake - Surefire
Trigger - Calvin Elite 1.5 pounds
Scope - Vortex Razor HD 35mm 5-20 x 50 (MOA) with .95" Vortex Precision Matched Rings
Bipod - Atlas
Misc. Add-ons- Trued action, knob conversion, side bolt release, melonite on action/bolt, m16 extractor, match recoil lug, and a patriot case

All of this assembled by the Short Action Customs crew.

Now, the aim of this build is to create a top-notch rifle needing little upgrades throughout the years. General use includes 100 yard group punching, long range work, etc. Hunting will probably be reserved for the ol' Savage which won't give me a heart attack if damaged. Nothing is set in stone, from the action to the caliber. That being said, is there anything that you guys would change out? I see split opinion on Surgeon vs Defiant, and see others who would go with a completely different option. What about the scope? Let me hear it all.

*Added note, is it normal to cerakote over the Razor's butt-ugly finish?

Thanks,
- Stratty

Last edited:
Won't need any action truing if you go with a custom. I would pick a Bighorn TL3 action over the Surgeon. I have felt and shot Surgeon, Defiance, Stiller, and Bighorn actions and would pick the Bighorn over the others. The feature set that comes on the Bighorn TL3 is huge. With the other action choices you are basically getting an optimized and refined Remington 700. Nothing wrong with the other actions. This is mostly just personal preference, but that is what you asked for. There may be some other actions out there that are great too that offer other great features.

Will this be your first long range precision rifle?

Hi! Thanks for responding. Weird thing about the action truing is that it was an option on the rifle build sheet, so I just went with it. I'd assume it would be trued anyway, but if it's an option... I'd just rather not take the chance. I'll certainly look into the Bighorn action, thanks!

It won't be my first, no. I have a Savage 10T in 6.5 Creedmoor too that shoots very well for a factory gun. I've shot out to 1,000 with it, so I'm not completely new to long range shooting.

Edit: Specifically, what advantages/features do the Bighorn offer over the Surgeon?

Last edited:
Bighorn offers controlled round feed, mechanical ejector, easy bolt head swapping if you ever wanted to change to a magnum or .223 bolt face, no tool bolt disassembly, and the action is threaded same as a savage (lots of aftermarket barrels will fit directly). Also, the bolts on the Bighorn are NP3 coated from the factory which makes for a very smooth action.

I'll echo the above poster in that I prefer Bighorns to pretty much everything except ARC M5's as far as custom actions go. Also might look at PTG for bottom metal. Almost identical (even the inlet/footprint I believe-- check before you buy), but quite a bit cheaper from what I remember.

I typically go for lighter barrels, medium palma or rem varmint, but it's personal preference. It looks like it's going to be heavy anyway.

edit to add: You could also go with a Manners mini-chassis and forget about bedding and bottom metal fitting and still run AICS mags.

Like ledzep said, check out the chassis offering from manners. Specifically the one with a built in barricade stop. + If you ever plan to use a tripod, RRS makes a mounting plate that attaches where the barricade stop screws in. Pretty slick

Gonna be honest, I'm mainly going with the surefire for the looks. Besides, it's a heavy rifle firing a mildly recoiling round, so high-end performance isn't a must. But, I would appreciate the moderate dampening it does provide.

Found this picture of someone else's build on here, and it's almost exactly what I'm going for, minus the short barrel. It's got the break, the stock, (almost, its a T-2A from the look of it) the camo, etc.

Attachments

• photo59436.jpg
    photo59436.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 53
If you do go with the surgeon, most definitely leave it alone mechanically. If your $1300 actions needs truing, you should get your money back, not dump more into it. Also, the factory remington extractor is a plus in my book. It has an integral lug, and a side bolt release as standard.

Having said all that, I love the Bighorn tl3. It's absolutely a work of art that wont need any extra attention, and has all the features you want in the surgeon, plus some extras for less money than the surgeon. The money you save in the action price will buy you a barrel vice and an action wrench, and you wont need SAC do any work for you as you'd assemble it yourself. Same bolt knob threads as the surgeon, so the knob you wanted for the surgeon, will fit the Bighorn. Really no change to your build but swapping the surgeon for the tl3. On the brake, I can think of a dozen other brakes that i'd choose over the surfire. Only reason id run one was if I had a surfire can.

There are other good brakes out there, but in the end, what are you going to love? If you have an APA but wish you had the Surefire, then get the Surefire. I've been running Silencerco ASR, but that's because I run my can on it.

I have a custom build that's a defiance machine action in a T6A. It's similar to your build and it's my first custom built gun.

IMO I would go with a PTG bottom metal and save a little money. I would also consider a medium Palma barrel over the heavy just for pure weight savings.

I run a silencerco ASR brake due to the suppressor but if I wasn't running a can I would go with the APA.

The trick is to save where you can because a lot of their expenses come up with other needed gear.

Save where you can and move up to the Razor Gen II. I believe that would be a great upgrade. No problem with the gen I Razor but the Gen is one of the nicest in the market.

SAC is also an expensive builder and their lead times are ridiculous. I had a friend that waited over a year to get his rifle from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do go with the surgeon, most definitely leave it alone mechanically. If your $1300 actions needs truing, you should get your money back, not dump more into it. Also, the factory remington extractor is a plus in my book. It has an integral lug, and a side bolt release as standard.

Having said all that, I love the Bighorn tl3. It's absolutely a work of art that wont need any extra attention, and has all the features you want in the surgeon, plus some extras for less money than the surgeon. The money you save in the action price will buy you a barrel vice and an action wrench, and you wont need SAC do any work for you as you'd assemble it yourself. Same bolt knob threads as the surgeon, so the knob you wanted for the surgeon, will fit the Bighorn. Really no change to your build but swapping the surgeon for the tl3. On the brake, I can think of a dozen other brakes that i'd choose over the surfire. Only reason id run one was if I had a surfire can.

Yeah, I was under the impression truing involved extra care taken with the barrel, action, etc. but now see it's about the construction of the action itself. So, I definitely won't be paying the extra money on that one, good save.

About the Bighorn, I guess I'm being a bit of a sheep (no pun intended) when I'm discouraged by the lack of coverage on it. Is this because it's newer?

And about the brake, are there any other brakes out there with the overlapping design and a similar look to the surefire that are superior? Love the look of the surefire used on the M40A5.

I have a custom build that's a defiance machine action in a T6A. It's similar to your build and it's my first custom built gun.

IMO I would go with a PTG bottom metal and save a little money. I would also consider a medium Palma barrel over the heavy just for pure weight savings.

I run a silencerco ASR brake due to the suppressor but if I wasn't running a can I would go with the APA.

The trick is to save where you can because a lot of their expenses come up with other needed gear.

Save where you can and move up to the Razor Gen II. I believe that would be a great upgrade. No problem with the gen I Razor but the Gen is one of the nicest in the market.

SAC is also an expensive builder and their lead times are ridiculous. I had a friend that waited over a year to get his rifle from them.

Followed your advice on the PTG metal, thanks. About the Gen II, I decided to make that upgrade shortly after posting.

Got my build quote today, price should go down after some planned changes. I'm required to make a deposit for the initial parts, and from there I'm more or less home-free on the payment. The wait is obviously gonna suck, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was under the impression truing involved extra care taken with the barrel, action, etc. but now see it's about the construction of the action itself. So, I definitely won't be paying the extra money on that one, good save.

About the Bighorn, I guess I'm being a bit of a sheep (no pun intended) when I'm discouraged by the lack of coverage on it. Is this because it's newer?

And about the brake, are there any other brakes out there with the overlapping design and a similar look to the surefire that are superior? Love the look of the surefire used on the M40A5.

Followed your advice on the PTG metal, thanks. About the Gen II, I decided to make that upgrade shortly after posting.

Got my build quote today, price should go down after some planned changes. I'm required to make a deposit for the initial parts, and from there I'm more or less home-free on the payment. The wait is obviously gonna suck, but I'm in no rush.

never tell your smith that even if it is true,,LOL,,,I am kinda lucky as I got in with a 600 yard IBS shooter that bought a SB Heavy 10 and he does all my smith work and he gets IBS type accuracy from my Tactical type rifles,,,and I never have to wait for anything,,

Truing or blueprinting the action does involve extra work and machining of an action, but the high end custom actions are supposed to be manufactured straight from the beginning.

Bighorn has been around a while, but the TL3 was just released a year or so ago. Very nice piece. Surgeon is my other favorite two lug action, I just like the bighorn better.

Any particular reason you're willing to wait for the SAC build? Shops like LRI, PVA or Mile High can probably have you a gun in weeks not months. This is another area where things have improved dramatically.

Congrats on getting your build together.

The scope upgrade will be awesome.

I do not personally know of any brakes that over lap the barrel. If you like that brake then go with it. No reason not too. If your spending this much money on a rifle get exactly what you want.

On the surgeon action. It is a good action and I almost went with one. I know a guy that has over 30k rounds through his and it's amazing how light the bolt lift is on his gun. Let's say his action is well used and very broken in haha.

Truing or blueprinting the action does involve extra work and machining of an action, but the high end custom actions are supposed to be manufactured straight from the beginning.

Bighorn has been around a while, but the TL3 was just released a year or so ago. Very nice piece. Surgeon is my other favorite two lug action, I just like the bighorn better.

Any particular reason you're willing to wait for the SAC build? Shops like LRI, PVA or Mile High can probably have you a gun in weeks not months. This is another area where things have improved dramatically.

Well, at first I was drawn in by the huge amount of options, and by the fact that they're putting out quality work at a good price. Additionally, their customer support is top-notch, and ordering from them is very straight forward and intuitive.

Congrats on getting your build together.

The scope upgrade will be awesome.

I do not personally know of any brakes that over lap the barrel. If you like that brake then go with it. No reason not too. If your spending this much money on a rifle get exactly what you want.

On the surgeon action. It is a good action and I almost went with one. I know a guy that has over 30k rounds through his and it's amazing how light the bolt lift is on his gun. Let's say his action is well used and very broken in haha.

I've decided to get both the surefire and the little bastard for good measure.

The surefire sucks. Tried em on several rifles and accuracy was terrible with them installed. The bastard series are excellent in recoil reduction and accuracy has been phenomenal. You don't have to have a bartlein to get exceptional accuracy. Not dogging them at all I love them but don't get sucked into the idea that Bart is the only game in town. Any of the premium makers will make a barrel that will print tiny groups. If you're going with a surgeon this eaction add ons are completely unnecessary you won't need to do any action truing. Look into curtis custom actions, tuebor, and lone peak. I'd take any of those three over a surgeon and I've barreled more surgeons than all others combined. Just like the features and feel etc of the ones I listed. Don't use a timney CE with a surgeon. The sear engagement is not correct and potentially unsafe. If you want single stage get a trigger tech. Much more crisp break. Two stage, cadex.