• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Del-Ton is on the way...

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
Well guys, I ordered up the Del-Ton kit, 16" M4

I know that Del Ton is not spoke of that much @ here, and really, not at all that I have seen, aside from teh occasional add on in a post for "budget" rifles.

I know that there are alot more reputable companies out there, and some of which are not that much more ($$$) than teh Del-Ton, but I was looking for the best deal I could get, and at a base price of $485 for everything except a stripped lower, and $120 for the lower receiver, comes out to $605 for a complete rifle.
Now, I know that it might be a $605 waste of money, BUT, everything that I have read and/or come across, insinuates that this actually a nice rifle.

Once she gets here, and I get it put together, I will take her to the range and put some ammo down her, and see how she does, and post up teh results here.

With my Rem 700, I came to you guys for advice, and you steered me that way (to the 700)...I bought it, and the 700 has been everything that I had hoped for, and more. My Springfield Armory 1911, you guys steered me that way...I bought it, and has been everything that I had hoped for, and more.
So, why didn't I come to you guys BEFORE I bought the Del-Ton? Because I feel like I would have been talked into spending more money than I wanted to!
grin.gif

Seriously though, I just felt like teh gamble is gonna be worth it, so I bought it....hopeuflly it works out for me.

Re: My Del-Ton is on the way...

Have no worries about del-ton, they are a great company and have great rifles. I have a del-ton AR, and I would deffinately get another if I could.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have no worries about del-ton, they are a great company and have great rifles. I have a del-ton AR, and I would deffinately get another if I could. </div></div>

Thanks. Yeah, like I mentioned, it seems that when you DO read/hear about Del-Ton..have gotten good feedback.
Thanks again.

I had a DTI lightweight upper, which was actually medcon under the HG and light to the end, which I think is ideal...like poor guy's Noveske N4, although the DTI was 1:9 twist. Chamber got a little sticky when hot, so you may consider having it reamed to 5.56, just to be safe. You might even find someone who would lend a reamer to you for the cost of shipping. http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a DTI lightweight upper, which was actually medcon under the HG and light to the end, which I think is ideal...like poor guy's Noveske N4, although the DTI was 1:9 twist. Chamber got a little sticky when hot, so you may consider having it reamed to 5.56, just to be safe. You might even find someone who would lend a reamer to you for the cost of shipping. http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php </div></div>

Hey, thanks for feedback/info! Will look into it.

My local dealer ordered one to check out since it was reasonably priced. If I needed another AR I would of walked out with it.

Post back up once you have it built. I have a buddy who is looking for an inexpensive setup (<$700) for his first AR.

I'd love to know your opinion on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local dealer ordered one to check out since it was reasonably priced. If I needed another AR I would of walked out with it. </div></div>

Cool....again, seems to be all positive.

I will say this though, and take it however you guys want to. I've sent them 2 emails, one on Tuesday, and one on Wed, asking a question, and I have called twice, once on Wed, and once this morning, left messages, and have not heard back from anyone. Which, to say the least is VERY frustrating, and NORMALLY, I wouldn't buy a product from someone that can't return phone calls/emails in a timely manner. However, again, because of price of the AR, I have overlooked it, going against my better judgement.
I have found that if someone can't answer your quetions BEFORE you give them your money, can you really expect them to be there for you AFTER you have given them your money???
And thing is? Before I sent ANY questions/emails, or called, I already made the online purchase...so they had my money and order, before I ever asked a question, so they had EVERY reason to want to call me back/send me an email since I sent them money.
But, nothing.

Is that a sign of things to come? I sure hope not. Hopefully the AR outperforms the shoddy (or should say, LACK OF) customer service I have received up to this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metonymy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post back up once you have it built. I have a buddy who is looking for an inexpensive setup (<$700) for his first AR.

I'd love to know your opinion on it. </div></div>

You can buy the complted AR, assembled for $750, or like I mentioned above, the whole AR, UNassembled, for $605, which is route I took.
And yes, once I get it her together, and some rounds down it, results, with pics, will be up.

Update on teh "lack of" information:

Reason I had called yesterday, was because it said for me to call before I made the purchase of teh lower. So, I called. Left message, asking, what info did they need from me. So, after no one called back all day, decided, against better judgement, to go ahead and buy teh lower, because when you do that online, thier website GIVES you an area to put the FFL info. So, I thought, well, they will see that, call teh FFL, and get eveythig squared away. (HA!)

Mind you, I had already called my FFL that I have used a few times before, and talked to them and let them know what I was doing.
Well, I DO get a phone call this morning from Del-Ton, but was when I was in shower, (I HAVE called them back, and left ANOTHER message, because I got thier voice mail yet again) so they got my voice mail. She left a message, and you could tell by what she had said, that she had NOT gotten my messages that I had left over the last 2+ days.
So, either they are NOT checking their voice mail, or she could not put 2 + 2 together, and realize that the person (me) that had left messages, was also the same person that bought the lower (and upper for that matter).
Either way, is frustrating.

Still have not gotten a reply email from them, which those questions in my email were completely different from why I called and left messages.

So, it might seem I am busting balls here, and even though I am giving a harsh description of lack of customer service I have received, I am also teh type of person that will be teh first to give praise and compliments. It goes both way with me.

I also feel that is more than fair for me to give the above, in hopes of helping out anyone else in the future of what they may encounted if they decide to buy from Del-Ton.

I WILL say this, when you call, thier voice mail, gives you like 5 OPTIONS on where you can leave voice mail. So, maybe mine is getting lost in shuffle, HOWEVER, if that is the case, then they need to simplify thier voice mail, right?
O well, we'll see how the freakn AR shoots when it gets here, and I am sure that is what most of you want to know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I already made the online purchase...so they had my money and order, before I ever asked a question, so they had EVERY reason to want to call me back/send me an email since I sent them money.
But, nothing. </div></div>

I am afraid a lot of companies look at it exactly the other way around - they have your money already, so there is nothing else to immediately extract from you. I have also been looking for a lower end AR kit for a carbine build and have considered Del-Ton. I am not saying my comment applies to them - it is a comment on business in general. Please post back with updates/results.

Casey

DTI is hit and miss at best. I had a DTI mid length that had a very rough sticky chamber and cycled poorly at best.

Friends have had oned that ran fine but shot like crap, others have shot fine and ran like crap.

The best part is you get to build one and then you'll know every piece. If it instills the bug in you you cna always sell it and put what you've learned to use in selecting what you want out of the next one.

I've spent enough money trying to save money that I would buy a quality item first time every time now....

I have done 2 delton kits and have no problem for what I payed. Here is my thoughts, get the chrome lined, they are already 5.56 chambers(it is a blaster not a precision rifle) I get perfect function with the chromed barrel. Get the heavy barrel, with the light barrel I could watch the holes march across the target as the barrel heated. But when I replaced it and cut off 4", it spawned a neat AR pistol who's main use to to make a lot of noise blasting off poor batches of reloads. The lower parts are bare bone, the kit they use is 59 $ so the trigger is 5 $ and worth every cent, a good trigger will run 100- 275 so try out some before you upgrade and if you dump the delton pull out the trigger and put back the original. Same with the grip, the one you get is 3 $ if you like the feel of something else for 15-20 $ go for it, you did not loose anything.
Now for the upper, I eliminate the forearm from the package and get a float tube elsewhere, theirs were no deal. Get the basic BCG, check that the gas key is well staked(mine were fine) run it for a thousand rounds to check it, then get a high end BCG like the BCM (bravo company) and maybe a nicer charging handle. So by the time you are done you have spent the $$ of a mid line AR but have the set of parts you want on your rifle and spare critical parts. If you want to upgrade the upper lower and barrel in the future, Put the delton back to original and sell it for 550 no problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metonymy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post back up once you have it built. I have a buddy who is looking for an inexpensive setup (<$700) for his first AR.

I'd love to know your opinion on it. </div></div>

You can buy the complted AR, assembled for $750, or like I mentioned above, the whole AR, UNassembled, for $605, which is route I took.
</div></div>

You know, Cheaper than Dirt has the assembled rifle for $660 plus like $25 shipping, or an Ollie for $675. Might be the easier way to go.

I ordered two Deltons. Both are very nice. I hear they make their own barrels now.

Some of the above are all good suggestions, but here is the deal:

I bought soley because was inexpensive, wanted to put together myself (and since is cheaper unit, would not be pissed off at myself if I screw it up), and I wanted an AR.

Didn't go chrome lined as I saw no reason to on this rifle. Cheaper the better. Heavy barrel, added weight, which I did not want, and added $$$$.
I went as base model as I could, all in teh sake of saving money.
After I put this rifle through ringer, assemble it, disassemble it, assemble it, etc...put alot of ammo down range..will THEN step up in "quality", and do all of the "options" that are to be had.

OK, update:

I talked to Del-Ton, and upper should be here in 3-4 weeks. Lower, next week sometime.

For all of you that want to talk to them IMMEDIATELY, I found the key.
When you call, you get computer generated operator, asking which extension you want. Well, all of the previous times I had called, I had "technical" questions, and prompted that mailbox, or had question with shipping, so prompted "operator". All of those time, I got voice mail, left message, and NO ONE returned my calls. However, after getting frustrated, I just tried teh "sales" mailbox, and guess what? Yep, got to speak with a person. Go figure, right? The person that is there to sell you something and take your money, they have person standing by! If you need tech help, shipping, etc..good luck.
So, my suggesstion is, if you need to talk to someone, go ahead and hit the "sales" line.
I have now called w more times, and both times I hit sales, and I got to speak with someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the above are all good suggestions, but here is the deal:

I bought soley because was inexpensive, wanted to put together myself (and since is cheaper unit, would not be pissed off at myself if I screw it up), and I wanted an AR.

Didn't go chrome lined as I saw no reason to on this rifle. Cheaper the better. Heavy barrel, added weight, which I did not want, and added $$$$.
After I put this rifle through ringer, assemble it, disassemble it, assemble it, etc...put alot of ammo down range..will THEN step up in "quality", and do all of the "options" that are to be had.

OK, update:

I talked to Del-Ton, and upper should be here in 3-4 weeks. Lower, next week sometime.

When you call, you get computer generated operator, asking which extension you want. Well, all of the previous times I had called, I had "technical" questions, and prompted that mailbox, or had question with shipping, so prompted "operator". All of those time, I got voice mail, left message, and NO ONE returned my calls. However, after getting frustrated, I just tried teh "sales" mailbox, and guess what? Yep, got to speak with a person. Go figure, right? The person that is there to sell you something and take your money, they have person standing by! If you need tech help, shipping, etc..good luck.
So, my suggesstion is, if you need to talk to someone, go ahead and hit the "sales" line.
I have now called w more times, and both times I hit sales, and I got to speak with someone. </div></div>

Not to talk down to you - but patience will serve you here.

Delton's good folks. I bought parts from them in 2006 and had a great transaction with superb advice given that helped me make good decisions on my build.

Remember, you may be one guy but they probably have 40 - 60 builders and gunsmiths beating down their door, email, etc., every day. If I showed up there with my one purchase in 5 years, they wouldn't even know who I was.

So just relax a little bit - you'll get your rifle (although it may feel like the days are turning into weeks, LOL). Oh, BTW, with my standard-length handloads and DTI 1:9 chrome-lined barrel, I get .725"~ five-round groups at 100 yards!

Additionally, this rifle has never failed to feed, fire, or eject in any way in 5000+ rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the above are all good suggestions, but here is the deal:

OK, update:

I have now called w more times, and both times I hit sales, and I got to speak with someone. </div></div>

Not to talk down to you - but patience will serve you here.

Delton's good folks. I bought parts from them in 2006 and had a great transaction with superb advice given that helped me make good decisions on my build.

Remember, you may be one guy but they probably have 40 - 60 builders and gunsmiths beating down their door, email, etc., every day. If I showed up there with my one purchase in 5 years, they wouldn't even know who I was.

So just relax a little bit - you'll get your rifle (although it may feel like the days are turning into weeks, LOL). Oh, BTW, with my standard-length handloads and DTI 1:9 chrome-lined barrel, I get .725"~ five-round groups at 100 yards!

Additionally, this rifle has never failed to feed, fire, or eject in any way in 5000+ rounds. </div></div>

I don't feel like I am being impatient at all to be honest with you. And to be honest with you again, I STILL haven't received an email in response to my emails I sent them, AND I haven't recieved a return phone call from any of my vocie mails I left.
And to top it off, I don't feel like I have talked down about anybody, or bashed thier company, talke crap about them etc..
I just came on here, and shared my experience, and that's it. Obviously they didn't upset me enough to where I didn't buy from them, or called and cancelled my order, now did I?
AND, even though thier website says ships in 1 to 2 weeks, and after I placed my order, they told me 3 to 4 weeks, I still decided to stay the course.
So, I know that I am being more than fair, being very patient, and just stating fact.

Oh, and I took no offense to what you said by the way...

I think right before your build is up they may contact you for final specs, from what I remember they say people will make multiple changes to the orders, gets confusing, so they check at the end instead of every time the order is tweaked. A few things for what you ordered: without a chrome chamber avoid steel case ammo, brass case will be fine. With the light barrel the POI will walk on long strings of fire, I just checked and the heavy barrel ( same length) is the same price ( they are both from the same blank) and if you are disappointed with the trigger remember you are paying for and getting a 5$ part. You can not go very far "wrong" on this build with what you are paying but you came on asking for advice from folks experienced with DTI builds so if the decisions were already final everyones time was wasted

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think right before your build is up they may contact you for final specs, from what I remember they say people will make multiple changes to the orders, gets confusing, so they check at the end instead of every time the order is tweaked. A few things for what you ordered: without a chrome chamber avoid steel case ammo, brass case will be fine. With the light barrel the POI will walk on long strings of fire, I just checked and the heavy barrel ( same length) is the same price ( they are both from the same blank) and if you are disappointed with the trigger remember you are paying for and getting a 5$ part. You can not go very far "wrong" on this build with what you are paying <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">but you came on asking for advice from folks experienced with DTI builds so if the decisions were already final everyones time was wasted </span></span></div></div>

OK, thanks for the info.
To repsond to teh portion of your post that I highlighted...actually, I haven't asked anyone for anything. I just posted that I ordered the Del-Ton, and would post up results from range when I got it assembled and some ammo down her. So, I didn't ask for help in determing WHAT I should order, again, I posted up what I ordered, and why I did. That's it. In fact, the reason I posted up this thread AFTER I had made teh purchase, was on purpose, because I felt that I WOULD get to much info, and end up being talked out of it, and end up spending more money than I wanted to. So, no advice was asked for...YET.

I will be the first to admit that I have NEVER owned an AR, and actually have only fired one once. That's it. Now of course, I have been shooting BA's, LA's, shotguns, and HG's forever, but no AR.
So, Im NOT familiar with them at all, and this will be my first "build". And even though it will probaly be teh simplest build ever for a rifle (only have to assemble lower receiver), I DO have some questions now
wink.gif

I was at gun show this past weekend, and picked up a book on teh assembly of an AR. Lots of detailed pics, and lots of good info and "tips"
Here is a "tip" from teh book:

"It's agood idea to finger twist a drill bit of the proper size through each of the holes in the receiver to remove any manufacturing debris that might prevent proper installation of a component. Use a #40 (.098") bit for the pivot and takedown detent holes, a....."

So, its gives numerous tips like that throughout, and I came across one that I had a question on. This question may seem pretty obvious, but for some reason, not for me. I went through the book, and noticed some of the pins, like trigger pin, hammer pin, front pivot pin, and rear takedown pin, do not have anything "holding" them in place, aside from teh weight of each componet they slide through. Now, when I get teh rifle in my hands, and as I begin to assemble it, I will then see more clearly, but going through this, it just seems odd that there are no "clips" holding these pins in place.
So, I came across a "tip" and it says:
"After pin installation, dab the ends of the pin with a Birchwood Casey flat black touchup stick"

So, again, this may seem obvious, but since I am new to this, just not getting it. Is the author refering to touch up PAINT? And the dried paint holds the pin in place??? Or????

I would just think that these pins would vibrate out, or just work themselves out over time. Again, with rifle in hand, may then see. But since I don't, I can't.

So, some may think that is a dumb question, but oh well. To me, the only dumb question is teh one tht is not asked.

So, I am all ears, and please...I am not disrespecting anyone, and have taken NO offense to anything anyone has said. it's ALL good. Thanks

the problem will not be with the pins coming out on there own, it may be difficult to get them in, the pins make there own friction. The touch up stick is just for damaged finish from getting the pins in, not a locking compound. The drill bit, a small tapered file and pin starting type punches will all help, but you may spend more time on one pin ( bolt stop) than on the rest of the build. Black marker will do ok as a touch up. Each pin in the trigger group is retained by a spring when assembled. Takedown pin are retained by a detent pin

The trigger and hammer pins are held in with spring detents, a piece of spring wire essentially presses against a notch in the pin and holds it in place.

The bolt stop pin was the easiest pin for me, the trigger guard pin was a whore, it may have been oversized to begin with though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the problem will not be with the pins coming out on there own, it may be difficult to get them in, the pins make there own friction. The touch up stick is just for damaged finish from getting the pins in, not a locking compound. The drill bit, a small tapered file and pin starting type punches will all help, but you may spend more time on one pin ( bolt stop) than on the rest of the build. Black marker will do ok as a touch up. Each pin in the trigger group is retained by a spring when assembled. Takedown pin are retained by a detent pin </div></div>

OK cool, thanks. I was figuring that there was something to it... I mean, with how ever many hundreds of thousands or million's of AR's there are out there, I knew I wasn't coming up with some area of concern that hasn't already been addressed.
I have installed more than a few roll pins in my time (I rebuild manual trannies as one of the many things I do at my shop), but when I saw the pivot pin just being pushed in with the author's hand, and then no retaining clip, I was like, HUH???

OK guys, thanks. Right now, I am talking with Scott over Liberty Optics for some glass for it. Not sure if I am gonna go red dot, or something like a 1-4x, or 2-7x.
I bought my Vortex Viper for my 700 from Liberty and Scott has always been A+ in my book.

I will take some suggestions (and if you have PICS of your setup, that would be ideal) on optics if you guys want to share your opinion on what you run.

So, before you ask, gonna be for home defense (so yes, red dot would be perfect, but I do want to take it out to range and stretch her legs some, as well as smack some varmints on an occassion. I figure 99% of shooting will be done under 200 yards, and would say that it would be out to 300 yards on a rare occassion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letitsnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger and hammer pins are held in with spring detents, a piece of spring wire essentially presses against a notch in the pin and holds it in place.

The bolt stop pin was the easiest pin for me, the trigger guard pin was a whore, it may have been oversized to begin with though. </div></div>

OK, cool. From reading through this book, it appears that it is not uncommon to have to polish up a roll pin, or teh like, because of something being machined oversize, or undersize for that matter.
SO, I am curious to see what I will run into. I am going to take pics along the way, and post up, so the rest of the newbies like me, will have some idea on how easy/difficult it is, as from my understanding, there are NO instructions what so ever with the kit. Which, hey, is OK with me as I am SURE they are wanting to stay away from any liabilities they can, which would include selling some goofball newbie a kit, having them assemble it halfass, and it blow up in their face because the "instructions" weren't good/clear enough.
So, guessing by leaving any out, is basically telling you, you better know WTF you are doing, or take it to someone that DOES!
laugh.gif

Edit: Even the book I am reading...EVERY section you come to, it tells you, CHECK THIS OR THAT, IF DOESNT DO THIS OR THAT, STOP AS YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF!

LMAO!!!!! Well, not exactly like that, but basically it warns you over and over and over and over, that this is dangerous and you can get seriously injured if you don't know what you are doing.

It was my first lower, if you can do an engine or manual tranny rebuild, you'll think this is easy. Aside from that one roll pin, it probably took me half an hour. I used the guide at arfcom to do mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> snip

Edit: Even the book I am reading...EVERY section you come to, it tells you, CHECK THIS OR THAT, IF DOESNT DO THIS OR THAT, STOP AS YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF!

LMAO!!!!! Well, not exactly like that, but basically it warns you over and over and over and over, that this is dangerous and you can get seriously injured if you don't know what you are doing. </div></div>

You rebuild transmissions? You'll be fine. You'll enjoy your build so much you will stretch it out trying to find a way to make it longer - kind of like the first time you had sex with the most amazing woman you ever met.

Be advised, there's very, very little you can do to fuck up an AR. They're pretty darned ingeniously simple rifles.

The book is just being obsessively convulsed with anti-lawyer fervor and should just take a pill. Really.

Enjoy the AR. After a while you won't shoot it much - it's the first semi-auto rifle I ever had that simply and dully just shot rounds where ever the crosshairs were pointed. It's a pure tool without much personality.

You'll never sell it and you'll probably not build another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letitsnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was my first lower, if you can do an engine or manual tranny rebuild, you'll think this is easy. Aside from that one roll pin, it probably took me half an hour. I used the guide at arfcom to do mine. </div></div>

Yeah, I build Cars (Hot Rods, Race Cars, Off Road trucks, etc..) out of my shop, it's what I do for a living.
I was told it would take me anywhere from half hour, to an hour and half, depending on experience, proper tools, etc..
Thanks for the reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> snip

LMAO!!!!! Well, not exactly like that, but basically it warns you over and over and over and over, that this is dangerous and you can get seriously injured if you don't know what you are doing. </div></div>

You rebuild transmissions? You'll be fine. You'll enjoy your build so much you will stretch it out trying to find a way to make it longer - kind of like the first time you had sex with the most amazing woman you ever met.

Be advised, there's very, very little you can do to fuck up an AR. They're pretty darned ingeniously simple rifles.

The book is just being obsessively convulsed with anti-lawyer fervor and should just take a pill. Really.

Enjoy the AR. After a while you won't shoot it much - it's the first semi-auto rifle I ever had that simply and dully just shot rounds where ever the crosshairs were pointed. It's a pure tool without much personality.

You'll never sell it and you'll probably not build another. </div></div>

THAT is what I want to hear, and is really why I wanted to put this one together myself. And instead of jumping in with both feet, I bought teh cheapest model I could find, and with some of the assembly already done. That way I can take it apart and SEE how it came apart, which helps you assemble it better, by having that perspective.
It is EXACTLY how I did my first tranny rebuild, oh shoot, 15+ years ago. I had paid $500 (just for labor)for a guy to do a tranny I blew up, and a month later, I blew it up again, and didn't have the money to pay him to do it again. So, I did it myself, and was like, well, ain't half as bad as I thought, and then I realized that for $500, I got FU****.
Anyways, I opened up my own shop a few yearss later, and still at it today.
Here is a pic of a LS1 T56 (6 speed tranny found in 98-02 Camaros/Trans Am's)

This is actually a couple different T56's disassembled on my bench. Does an AR have this many moving parts?
grin.gif

DSCN1203.jpg

This T56, I am actually converting from a synchronizer setup (stock synchro's) to a "Face Plated" setup (does away with stock synchro's)

DSCN1616-1.jpg

And here she is back together again:

DSCN0621.jpg

Will try and post up better pics of teh face plating to get a better understanding...

Here are pics of a face plated tranny I did:

DSCN1591.jpg

DSCN1585.jpg

DSCN1609.jpg

Stock synchro:

DSCN0974.jpg

DSCN0979.jpg

I know it might be hard to undersand, but if yo ulook at teh face plated setup, you see those "lugs", or ears? Well, when "speed shifting" a tranny, a stock setup/synchronizer, has like 40 small teeth that have to engage. Well, at 7000RPM, and slammin a tranny in gear, is hard to get ALL of those teeth lined up, so, it's harder to get in gear, and also hard on the tranny iteself.
Well, with a face plated setip, all you need to do is line up those 7 lugs, and hence, easier to slam into gear.

Make sense?

Not sure you guys even want to know this, so I guess I might be babling...HAHAHA!!

I'm doing an LS1(LM7 actually)/t56 FC RX7 at the moment.
grin.gif
I'm going to have to rebuild the tranny for one of my other cars soon, a turbocharged '77 datsun 280z.

I have built a few Delton Kits-- I have never had a problem with mine. The fact is that my Delton shoots better than others I have owned/shot including Bushmaster, S&W. My current should not run at all if the internet was true-- Spikes lower with a DTI Upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: letitsnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm doing an LS1(LM7 actually)/t56 FC RX7 at the moment.
grin.gif
I'm going to have to rebuild the tranny for one of my other cars soon, a turbocharged '77 datsun 280z. </div></div>

There ya go! Dollar for dollar, hard to touch the performance of the Gen III/IV Chevy. Just cant do it. Even though I handle little bit of everything, most of my work is with the Gen III/IV....in fact, have 2 motors Im doing right now as well.

Anyways, if you are rebuilding the T56, do you know it's shortcomings? As stout of a tranny as it is, it still has it's quirks that need attention, namely the aluminum 3/4 shift fork, and the keys for teh 3/4 slider should be upgraded as well to billet steel (some stamped pot metal crap is stock). Bronze fork pads, and carbon fiber blocking rings are a nice addition as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Camo_Cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have built a few Delton Kits-- I have never had a problem with mine. The fact is that my Delton shoots better than others I have owned/shot including Bushmaster, S&W. My current should not run at all if the internet was true-- Spikes lower with a DTI Upper. </div></div>

laugh.gif
I hear ya brother!

As nice as teh internet is, with all of the info you can gather, things you can learn, deals you can have, etc...it to, has it shortcomings (just like the T56 I mentioned above).
EVERYONE on the internet is a professional and what they say is correct, or I should say, is what THEY think.
But, that is the biggest reason I bought this rifle BEFORE I posted on the hide. You post up that you are thinking about buying an "inferior" product, and next thing you know, people are telling you that you need to buy a $2500 rifle with all teh bells and whistles.
So, I figured that I did my homework and due diligence, and trusted myself enough to go ahead and make the purchase, and I did.
Difference in me from alot of others is that if I end up making a bad decision (ie, the Del-Ton turns out to be a pice of crap), I will let people know and I can admit it.

OK, update on my Del-ton:
On Friday, I spoke with Del-Ton and they told me they needed the FFL info to be faxed to them (because of the stripped lower receiver). So, I went down to my FFL, and had them fax it, and this was @ 10:00AM Friday morning. On Del-Ton's website, it says lower receiver ships within 1-2 business days. I called today, JUST to make sure that they had gotten the FFL info.
I had a hard time understanding what the gentleman was telling me, but essentially he said mine got put at bottom of pile, and would ship out "when they got to it"

So, not really sure what all of that meant, and why mine got put to bottom of pile
confused.gif
but it is what it is. I mean, not much I can do with a stripped lower anyways without any other parts, so really not that concerned with it.

And really, only reason I bring this up is because I think that if you put something on your website (ships in 1-2 business days), that you should follow that. I mean, if you are backed up, and really busy, then put THAT on your website, and tell people it will ship as soon as they can.
I understand this is a small nuisance, and not even worth mentioning to most, but hey, I think people should be aware of any problems that I run into, because I can assure you, if this AR performs great, I will be the first to post it, AND if anyone else asks, or is looking for an affordable AR, I will be the first to post up my findings and recommend Del-Ton.

Again, I realize people ain't got time to check thier website, and update thier website every day. I realize that, and again, is why Im not that concerned with it...just bringing it all out for those to make the best buy they can, and spend thier money wisely.

In short, up to this point, I have no problem with Del-Ton, as everyone I have spoke with has been very friendly.
Will keep you guys updated...

OK, update:

Received email this morning saying lower receiver shipped. Their website says 1-2 business days, and ended up being 6 business days. So, on teh overall grand scheme of things, not that bad. I mean, that is 3x longer then what they say, so, do I think they should change thier website to reflect how long it actually takes to ship out? yes, I do.
Does it bother me that it ended up being 6 bus. days? Nah, no biggie.

Also got email from them saying that uppers are now AT LEAST 3 weeks+ backed up. Now, again, website says 1-2 weeks, so do i think they need to change thier website to reflect that? yes, I do.

I also bought some optics for my AR. I went through Scott over at Liberty Optics, and bought a Vortex SPARC for the Del-Ton. This is 2nd scope I have bought from Scott, and I will not use anyone else, as he is the man! Up front, very honest, very nice, answers all my questions, very knowledgeable, and takes his time, no matter how many emails/phone calls I bother him with. So, THANKS SCOTT/LIBERTY OPTICS!!!

OK, my optics came in yesterday. Pretty nice setup. Never used a red dot before, so, kind of strange. Maybe once AR gets in, and I mount it up, will get used to it.

Anyone out there use a red dot for first time, and found it "different"?

Guess what is throwing me off is teh 2x magnifier. When that is on, your FOV is rather small, and really need to bring in scope pretty close to be able to see.
With it off, nice being able to swing it around with both eyes on target like that. So, either Im gonna get use to magnifier, or it's gonna find its way to the storage box and be useless.

Anyone??

I have the Vortex strikefire and found that the magnifier stays in my range bag but then again I didn't build this rifle for long distance. I'm very happy with the vortex quality and $150 is a lot better than $600 for a aimpoint.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Vortex strikefire and found that the magnifier stays in my range bag but then again I didn't build this rifle for long distance. I'm very happy with the vortex quality and $150 is a lot better than $600 for a aimpoint.

Good luck </div></div>

Oh I LOVE my other Vortex...I have teh Viper 6.5-20x-44 on my Rem 700, and it is nothing short of fantastic. I bought that from Liberty Optics as well.

Yeah, we'll see...Im just not sure that I can see where the magnifier will come in handy. However, once rifle gets here, will take it out and see what's up, but have a feeling it ends up in teh bag.
I bought it because I do plan taking this and smacking some varmints...and is why I wanted the magnifier, for those 100-200 yard shots (when you get older, your eyes aren't what they used to be, and I normally use 10X for 100 yards with my 700, HAHAHAHA!!!)

Lower came in today. Have to go back and pick it up though, since I was "delayed" with the approval. Everytime I buy a gun, I get delayed..normally is @ 18-24 hours before I am able to pick up.

Well, it took longer than usual, but was able to actually pick up the lower last week. Will get some pics up later on tonight.
Looks OK..I see some sanding marks, some heavy gouging that just got coated over, but can still see the marks. Nothing excessive, will try and get some close ups of it when I get home from work..

only a few spots on an upper or lower where the machining means anything, like on the outsides of a tranny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only a few spots on an upper or lower where the machining means anything, like on the outsides of a tranny </div></div>

Yeah, after studying them more closely, as rough as they are, I pretty much dismissed it and is why I never posted pics.

OK, well here is update, and one that Im not thrilled with:

I have been very patient with the guys at Del-Ton. I made teh purchase @ Feb 1, and according to their website, says rifle ships out in 1-2 weeks.
At end of 2 weeks, nothing. I don't call, I don't send an email, as I really didn't expect it to ship out on time anyways. Unfortunately, it is what people have come to expect from business's...to be LIED to, or at mininum, mislead.

So, without asking for update (I didnt call or send email), I receive an email from them, sometime in middle of 3rd week out (will have to check email to see when I got it exactly) but was sometime during week of Feb 14-18, which would have been the 3rd week after I purchased it. Anyways, email says they are shipping out normally in 3 weeks. Now, at the time, I took it that he meant 3 weeks from WHEN I made teh purchase. So, no biggie, figured that I would see rifle by yesterday, Feb 25th, which would have been at the end of the 4th week.
Which, if my math is correct, is at the MININUM, twice as long as what their website says it takes, and if you use their "1 week", it is 4 times as long.
So, I send an email asking for update.
I get a response, and it says:
"......we are 4 weeks out. Don't have exact date when shipping, but soon as it is built, we will ship it."

Now, am I to take that I am looking at 4 MORE weeks, AFTER teh 4 weeks I have already waited? For a total of 8 weeks? And this after I was told BEFORE I made purchase it would be 1-2 weeks??

Or, am I to take it as, it has been 4 weeks, and they are shipping out next week?
Is pretty safe assumption, that he meant 4 MORE weeks, because if that wasn't teh case, he would have said, rifle is basically done, will be shipping out next week.

So, since I am assuming he meant 4 MORE weeks, is NOW when I get to be upset. Ive waited 4 weeks as it is, and now I am meant to wait ANOTHER 4 weeks, and what is to say that I won't get the same email 4 weeks from now, and told/given some other excuse, and told ANOTHER 4 weeks pushing it to 12+ weeks???

One thing I CANT do is be mislead, and dragged along while they have my money. If they tell me BEFORE I pay for the rifle, that it is gonna be 8 weeks, or 3 months, or 6 months, then that is one thing. But to tell me 1-2 weeks BEFORE you take my money, then string me along...no, I dont play that.
You should tell a person that UPFRONT. That is BS, and I can't do it.

So, I sent an email saying that I needed to speak to someone about this, so we can get some clarification on what is going on, what is taking so long, why they told me this, etc...

If rifle ships out next week, I will be a little more understanding on situation, but even then, that will have been over twice as long as I was originally told. Im ok with that, because I DO know that sometimes things run over, and you can't tell what is going to happen this day or next.
I understand...employee's get sick, miss work. Manufacturer runs out of material, UPS guy lost shipment. Paperwork got misplaced. Etc..

I understand ALL of that, and is why I have been patient. But for it to run THAT long (over 8 weeks, when told 1-2weeks) is not flying.

And, to be clear...if it agains, ships out next week, then my above rant is worthless, and I will be all to happy to say so. I could be wrong in my "assumption", and if I am, then I will eat it. Im a big boy, I can take it.

I have the Delton M4 and it has worked great. I paid 499 at Cold Hand Arms for a complete rifle kit including lower. The price has gone up about $25 since I ordered mine and it came with a Spikes Lower.It is not the same quality as my Daniel Defense but has been a good AR so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMilspecker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Delton M4 and it has worked great. I paid 499 at Cold Hand Arms for a complete rifle kit including lower. The price has gone up about $25 since I ordered mine and it came with a Spikes Lower.It is not the same quality as my Daniel Defense but has been a good AR so far. </div></div>

Well, no doubt, that's cheap. A little over $100 less then what I paid. IS Cold Hand Arms a dealer for Del Ton or what? How were they able to sell it for that cheap? I mean, what you are saying you paid for, is what I paid for the rifle, MINUS the lower.

OK, answered my own question.

Yes, appears they are a dealer for Del-Ton. I can tell you this, if they have the rifle in stock (website says they do), then Im probaly gonna buy it from them.

I called them, but no one answered. It being Saturday, guessing they are closed.

So, what Im gonna do is talk with Del-Ton (hopefully) on Monday, see what is status on my rifle, and if it IS 4 weeks out, and Cold Hand has it, then Im going that route.

Their upper kit is not any cheaper then what I paid for mine over at Del-Ton, so no advantage of going that route only except they might have it in stock, and can actually ship it to me.
So, we'll see what is status come Monday.

Well guys, kind of getting tired on updating with no real useful info, but Ive received a few PM's from some guys wanting to know whats teh scoop...

I wish I was posting up results from range, or pics of me putting it together or something, but Im not.

Del-Ton finally called me yesterday, and basically told me it was done, that they were waiting on a box or something. Reason Im not exactly sure what she said, is because I really wasnt interested in WHY it's not here, I just want it here.
Told me mine was "at the top of the list" and was ready to go.

So, I feel Im getting the run around on this.

Im gonna give them until Saturday to get it shipped to me...if not, then Im cancelling my order.

I would have already, but Im not in some rush, or some emergency to get it, it's just I want to do business with people that are honest and straight up.

Told 1-2 weeks. Then 3 weeks. Then 4 weeks. Waiting on boxes?

Just sounds like a bunch of run around to me. I personally think they are TOO busy, and not jsut slacking. Reason? I don't believe I have spoke with the same person YET. I have talked with 2 different ladies, and at least 2 different guys, and that's not counting who Ive exchanged some emails with.(and thats not counting the emails in the very beginning that were never even returned, or voice mails that were not returned either)

But, that is just speculation on my part.

So, we'll see....

If you end up canceling the order, check out coldhandarms.com for a Del-Ton upper, unassembled rifle with a Spikes lower reciever for $500.00 as a kit. They are fast on shipping, and awesome with CS. And if it is in stock you should have it in a few days. Good luck with the BS CS.

Never mind, just saw the post above. I believe they are closed on the weekends, and if you are trying to get a hold of them on the phone, try after 4pm since it seems to be a part time gig for him until he gets it up and running. They will take care of you for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: layinclose2hell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you end up canceling the order, check out coldhandarms.com for a Del-Ton upper, unassembled rifle with a Spikes lower reciever for $500.00 as a kit. They are fast on shipping, and awesome with CS. And if it is in stock you should have it in a few days. Good luck with the BS CS.

Never mind, just saw the post above. I believe they are closed on the weekends, and if you are trying to get a hold of them on the phone, try after 4pm since it seems to be a part time gig for him until he gets it up and running. They will take care of you for sure. </div></div>

Thanks...yeah, I got the info for Cold Hand ready and waiting, and I am almost ready to do business with them.
Part of me wants to say screw it, cancel the order, save some money, and pick it up from Cold Hand.
The other part of me says that I should give them (del-Ton) the benefit of the doubt, give them some more time, and wait a little longer.

I mean, I dont owe them anything, but I placed my order with them, and I would like to be able to follow through with that, and Im willing to give them that oppurtunity. Just not going to continually get the run around from them.

So, hopefully, they (Del Ton) can get rifle in mail by Saturday, and aside from a little ranting by me here in this thread, I think everyone would be happy at that point. I mean, it's not like Im pissed off or anything..would call it a little frustrated by turn of events is a better description of it.

So, if they are able to get rifle in the mail to me by Saturday, means I should have it by Thursday or so of next week...give me a day or two to find time to put lower together, and with any luck, might have some results by that Monday (March 14th) to post up. If they arent, then I willcall Cold Hand on Monday, and hopefully they still have one in stock for me, but that's getting ahead of ourselves...

OK guys, Im hoping for the best....

Good luck man. Just was on their site and found a Del-Ton upper for 299.99. I bought my second AR from them, the YHM Specter for 799.00 plus 8.00 shipping, and had it in three days. Great company to do business with.

I've order two AR's from Del-ton and had nothing but good things from them. I've done a 16" upper kit with a Spikes Tac lower and a 20" DTI upper and Spikes lower with Rock River 2 stage trigger and chrome lined heavy barrel that works great. I have just recently sighted in my 20" which has a Millet 4-16 and it works great at 100yd.....about .750 MOA. It does the job I need it to do.

The times that I have placed an order with DTI, the first time was a backorder deal and I waited about 6 weeks when the website said 2-3. HOWEVER, on the order page at the top it stated that they were running an addition 3-4 weeks behind.....making it a total of 5-7 weeks for shipment. The second AR I ordered, shipped within their set time frame.

With the first order they forgot to ship the trigger group, so I made a call and they shipped it out next day air free shipping to me......that made me very happy. Like I said, I have had nothing but good things and their product is performing as expected. Just my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triman2008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've order two AR's from Del-ton and had nothing but good things from them. I've done a 16" upper kit with a Spikes Tac lower and a 20" DTI upper and Spikes lower with Rock River 2 stage trigger and chrome lined heavy barrel that works great. I have just recently sighted in my 20" which has a Millet 4-16 and it works great at 100yd.....about .750 MOA. It does the job I need it to do.

The times that I have placed an order with DTI, the first time was a backorder deal and I waited about 6 weeks when the website said 2-3. HOWEVER, on the order page at the top it stated that they were running an addition 3-4 weeks behind.....making it a total of 5-7 weeks for shipment. The second AR I ordered, shipped within their set time frame.

With the first order they forgot to ship the trigger group, so I made a call and they shipped it out next day air free shipping to me......that made me very happy. Like I said, I have had nothing but good things and their product is performing as expected. Just my $.02 </div></div>

Im glad you had a good experience with them. Im not trying to bash anyone's business, and is why Im giving them every chance to finish our transaction.
Im very happy that they did everything "by the book" with you. They havent with me, by far. In fact, last I checked, thier site STILL says 1-2 weeks. So, clearly, that's NOT happening. So, that in itself is misleading. But, then you TALK to someone on phone, and tell you a time period, and it ends up being longer than that, and THEN they email you saying its going to be certain time period, and it ends up being LONGERTHEN THAT as well, it gets frustrating.

And last thing I want to do is make a company look bad, but this is simply how it has happened with me, and Im simply putting it in this thread.
Maybe Del-Ton decided I was the ONE guy they were going to take longer on, and give run around to, bedcause everyone else has said they have been an A+ company to deal with, I DONT KNOW.

I just know I ordered my rifle over a month ago, was told 1-2 weeks, then 3 weeks, then 4 weeks, now they dont have a ship date, but will ship when it's ready....

Well, I cancelled my order...or atleast, Im waiting on someone to call me back to confirm it. I called yesterday and emailed them this morning.
mad.gif

Reason I even waited until yesterday and not Saturday, is because strange enough, I received a traking number on Saturday, but wasnt from Del-Ton.

What was weird was, it was from a company that I bought my 1911 from last year. They sent me a tracking number on Saturday, and Im like, WTF?!?!?! Why are THEY sending me a tracking number??
So, I was trying to think positive, and I was HOPING (however unrealistic it may sound) that Del-Ton, in trying to satisfy me, tried to locate a rifle from another vendor, found one from this company, and had them ship it to me. Yeah, far fetched right? THAT will tell you how much Ive been trying to give DelTon benefit of teh doubt. What was really weird though, was this company was shipping the package to a local FFL that Ive used a couple times now, AND, who I had DelTon ship my lower to.
Of course I was wondering, if it was just the upper, why would they ship to FFL when it can come straight to my house, so I knew it was slim to none that was going on. But still, was patient and waited until yesterday to see what it was about.

So, appears this company sent me the tracking number by mistake. Someone else here in Pearland bought a gun from this company, and is using the same FFL I use.

Short version...its NOT my rifle, was a mistake, and I cancelled my order, and waiting on phone call to confirm, and also so I can get my money back....