• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My DIY reactive target

JohnyFive3

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Wichita Kansas
Got bored this weekend and decided to take up welding. This is the first time I've ever welded with a stick welder! So excuse my crappy welds...

Basically started with some rail road ties and ended up with this 16x26 inch plate. Which will be a lot of fun shooting 300 plus yards

024540D4-FDB9-47B7-8791-0EE57DA456F7-1080-0000012ACB09E648_zpsd8dddd89.jpg

23060412-C8F5-49CC-BCAC-86E6E020D84C-1080-0000012AB186E99C_zps6681fc8a.jpg

Looks decent. I'm no welder myself but have done it a long time and I haven't had much luck with welds holding on targets. They just get to brittle and will eventually fail under vibration/shock. My 284 will show weak welds in a hurry. I've done better getting solid plates from the local recycling place. Good luck.

If you ever miss (of course you won't), you can claim that your bullet passed through one of the holes..Your buddies will simply have misses.

If you ever miss (of course you won't), you can claim that your bullet passed through one of the holes..Your buddies will simply have misses.

Or tell them you're aiming for one specific hole and just keep shooting to the side of the target!

I was shooting these with the 7mm Rem Mag and 154 SSTs at 400 and leaving SERIOUS craters.

They work, but I'm not sure how long they'll work.

I've still got some hanging up but I bought 4 plates of AR500 and it was money well spent.

Looks cool but the welds will fail after a bunch of shooting. I did the same thing and after around 250 rounds of 55 gr at 100 yds I had to replace with a single large piece of ar plate

I picked up some steel from the group buy from jubilee ranch in WA state. They will last a very long time.

Use your welding skills to build some kick butt target holders.

The AR500 plates take the impact and only a fraction of the impact is transferred into the frame.

Just some advice...If you want the welds to hold up to a lot of impacts you can bevel/chamfer the edges that you plan to butt weld on both sides. If you fill the bevels with a nice big welded fillet they will essentially become one piece.

Last edited: