• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My DIY take on a phone scope

Chiro_Hunter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2012
IL
So I saw a couple of posts on these and wanted to try and build one out. I used a 1-1/2x1-1/4" PVC connector I believe it was called, and used a hacksaw and sandpaper to get it down to the inside rib which worked perfect distance wise for the view for the camera on my iPhone. I also couldn't find a proper size to fit snug so I had some camo fleece laying around and did a single wrap and it was the perfect fit to just keep it seated on my spotting scope.
u3ymaqeb.jpg

zuja4ytu.jpg

yqy6egy6.jpg

ejeqy3yp.jpg

u8yre2eq.jpg

umu6eha2.jpg

I just need to camo it up now that it's all set.

I did have to go back and cover the tape with epoxy as well to have a fully set base, hopefully it holds it up a little better by doing that

Here are a couple of sample pictures. All 3 at the 20x power. 1st 2 were just at the 20x and the 3rd was the same picture with slight cam phone zoom. For a Simmons spotting scope I thought it turned out pretty well especially since I was able to get the camera lens so close to the ocular lens on the scope
yhadupa8.jpg

evemy3y8.jpg

e5e6y7yb.jpg

I thought about doing the same thing for my iphone but drilling out checkers pieces and using PVC reducer and bonding it all together on a cheap phone case. Pieces to get eye relief right and epoxy them into the reducer like a sleeve and the opposite end of reducer (bigger end) to just sleeve over eye piece. I'll post results when I get home to do it

Definitely! Look forward to seein it. This has been working great and is awesome for when i shoot long range w my bow too

Yea I work construction so do a lot of transition with pipes plastic and metal and have had the idea but never put it down I'll make a trip to hardware store next Friday when I go home and pick supplies up and post results and hopefully some scope pics or better yet kill cam on some coyotes

Pretty Neat. How's the longevity of the painters tape on your phone? Obviously you don't want it to be permanent but you also don't want it to fall apart every time you try to use it.

Pat, sorry for the delayed reply, opened a new office so havent been doing a whole lot of anything else. The tape was actually just a backer for the epoxy to set as a secondary wall to have more surface area contact. It has actually held up pretty well. Some modifications I have thought about making however was rather than using the extra fabric for the spacer, just screw in 4 holes and use small screws to center and attach the mount to the spotting scope.