• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Enfield no.4 mkII 303 british!!!!!!!

gsbuickman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Hello everybody, Here i go again.......................

I just scored this in a sweet trade deal, so its going in the gun cabinet.
This is a beautiful 1942 Enfield no.4 mkII 303 British bolt action.
c
Its definetly not a stamped reissue by aim or someone. it's stamped Property of US on the receiver. The scope is a Bushnell sharpshooter 3x9x40.\I did notice the front site has been removed, that will be replaced.

I don't know a whole lot about these other than their damn nice. It will be a beautiful addition to my growing collection. The guy i got it from said it was his grandpa's for a long time, until he acquired it. If you have any interesting knowledge or info on these, let me know. Thanks !!!!

IMG_20120730_161635.jpg

IMG_20120730_161543.jpg

IMG_20120730_161534.jpg

IMG_20120730_161525.jpg

IMG_20120730_161514.jpg

IMG_20120730_161501.jpg

IMG_20120730_161453.jpg

IMG_20120730_161444.jpg

IMG_20120730_161436.jpg

Re: My Enfield no.4 mkII 303 british!!!!!!!

Sporterized... not worth much. But will probably be a fun shooter.

These were sporterized by the thousands by places like Century International in the '80s and '90s. The old Shotgun News publication was full of them.

Any gun that goes bang is a good one to own, so nice scoop!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Everything but original, make a good truck gun. I keep saying I need to get some of those WW1 or 2 relics. They are built to last. Good luck

Of all my rifles, the Enfield action is IMHO the quickest and smoothest of all.....

But, the only reason for me to go the "sporterized" route would be that it was dirt cheap and was possible to restore. Otherwise it seems like a haphazard, risky and potentially more expensive way to put together a collection.

Any reason not to get one in original configuration? It's not like they are hard to find........

On your side of the water look up www.simpsonltd.com or www.bdlltd.com - both are recognised and reputable dealers with a ready supply of original Enfields and, especially in Simpson's case, many other nationalities of military rifles of all ages.

But, if you like it and it shoots, good luck with it.

If it's 1942 as you specified it's not a MKII, as these were post war production rifles, and is in fact a No.4 MKI.

Either that or it's a MKII, but not from 1942.
smile.gif

That looks like an Armalon or copy from the UK.

Based on the 1st picture, I'd guess it is a Savage-made No.4 MkI lend lease contract rifle.

Yummmmm1 Savage #4's

922ef73a.jpg

Looks like an S & K mount. They make some good mounts for military guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC-M1941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's 1942 as you specified it's not a MKII, as these were post war production rifles, and is in fact a No.4 MKI.

Either that or it's a MKII, but not from 1942.
smile.gif
</div></div>

No, that Savage is a No4 MkI*. Look at the right side of the receiver. The bolt head catch was used on the MkI around April 42 Savage simplified production making the MkI*. If it was upgraded it would be a No4 MkI/3. Not that it matters.

Anyway the barrel is cut, she is a sporter. Putting her back as military issue would cost more then buying another Enfield. Cast some .314 lead pills and you have a nice bad weather deer rifle.

Enfield stuff:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?55-The-Lee-Enfield-Forum

How many lands in the barrel? My savage has 2... I was an over enthusiastic 18 year old college arrival when I bought mine. BUT, it's been the best rifle I have bought by far. The price was astounding as well.

The first 132K No4's made by Savage-Stevens Co. of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts had the standard bolt release. Then they went to the war time expedient release and the MkI* destination.

The scope mount is a newer version of the SK with a rail mount.

Gibbs and Golden state used D&T mounts on the sporters they produced. I would guess the OP's was done by the previous owner. This is a very inexpensive way to have a darn good deer rifle. I bought my first one for $15 and couldn't wait to cut, drill and tap.

This is the early SK mount with Leupold style rings, scope sets a hair lower.
K25faz2.jpg