• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My Exerience with Mr. Robert Gradous.....

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
I just wanted to relate my incredible experience I had today with Mr. Robert Gradous of Gradous Rifles. I posted in the Gunsmithing forum the other day about my disappointment with my recent Armorer course I had just taken. Well, Mr. Gradous contacted me out of the blue & extended a wonderful offer to come see him at his shop & watch & learn how to build a rifle.

I had never met, nor spoken, nor even communicated with Mr. Gradous before. This should just go to show what an outgoing, thoughtful, and friendly individual Robert is & how he is super willing to share his craft with new people! This was really an awesome experience for me. A few pictures from today....

It all starts with his incredible workshop behind his house...simply gorgeous!
Outsideshop.jpg

When you first walk into the shop, you are stuck by how clean & organized everything is! You can eat off the floor!
lathe2.jpg

For those of you who dream of a "few" work machines for your shop.....we didn't even use these 2 today.
Lathes1.jpg

The workbench stays neat & clean during the build....
workbench.jpg

First up for the day, is building the shoulder, threads & chamber...a perfect "true-up"..!
Chamber.jpg

Next up is finishing the crown....beautiful!
Crown.jpg

Time to paint the barreled action....
Paintingbarreledaction.jpg

Cleaned up after bedding the action to stock...
Cleanbed.jpg

Completed rifle....just needs the bolt & a little touch up.
rifledone.jpg

Here's a cool shot looking through the muzzle at the rifling...
Rifling1.jpg

I can't tell you how gracious Mr. Gradous is and how humble he is about his skills. He pays strict attention to the smallest details and goes the extra effort to make sure things are done correctly during the build. Anyone who is looking for a incredibly well built, precision rifle, should look no further.

He doesn't go fast or rush any portion of the build, but you can rest assured that when you get your rifle it will be perfect. I can't thank Robert enough for his hospitality & willingness to share his craft with a complete stranger. I now know who will be working on my next rifle!

Thanks again Robert and I look forward to another visit!

Re: My Exerience with Mr. Robert Gradous.....

My build components are to be delivered to Robert today. He's one hell of a nice guy & knows how to build an accurate rifle!!!

That is a very cool shot of the muzzle .

What a beautiful shop he's got , Im jealous .

When I first saw the picture of the muzzle when I downloaded it to my computer.....it thought people would think it was fake or computer generated! But it ain't.....I don't know why it has that "pink" look to it.....must be something with the light in the room.....but I thought it was cool!

I first saw Mr. Gradous's shop on his website a few years back while wandering through websites. The sterile work environment made an immediate impression. His facility is a prime example of what I hope to have someday. Being able to walk 20' to work just sounds cool to me.
smile.gif
Wearing a white shirt and having it stay white is nice too.

I've never seen his work and chances are I wouldn't need to. I was once told that when judging the skills of a mechanic, just look at his tool box and work space.

It's been my experience that it tends to ring true with guns as well.
smile.gif

Nice shop and nice job!

C

As I watched Mr. Gradous work, he never had to clean up his shop at the end of the day, because he did his cleaning as he went along with the build. He didn't move from one area to another without first cleaning up.....very meticulous and his attention to details show through in his work.

My experience with Mr. Gradous has been invaluable. Always a kind word, while always seeming to find time to answer the many questions I have. He not only has firm grasp on the mechanics of rifle building but truly understands the physics of the process. Mr. Gradous is the choice for my next build in the coming weeks.
Semper Fi

With all the bashing of late it's good to open a thread like this. He sounds like a true craftsman and a heck of a nice guy. Thanks for posting, it has given me some ideas for my shop to be built out back.

RT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience with Mr. Gradous has been invaluable. Always a kind word, while always seeming to find time to answer the many questions I have. He not only has firm grasp on the mechanics of rifle building but truly understands the physics of the process. Mr. Gradous is the choice for my next build in the coming weeks.
Semper Fi </div></div>
+10

I was thoroughly impressed as I watched him swap my dad's trigger out one day. You would think a trigger job is mundane task for a smith with his experience, yet he was so meticulous (almost agonizingly so) with every step of the process... taking screws out and putting them back in several times before setting them on the bench and removing another screw... cleaning everything to operating room standards...

From the few days I have spent with him, I know this to be true; he is an extremely skilled builder, a genuinely good human being, and his rifles shoot lights out.

I have never heard a bad comment about Robert. I was pointed toward Robert from another member, I have spoken to him on numerous occasions. He will never rush a conversation, he will answer all your questions in detail, and he has always returned my calls. I felt so confident after talking to him on the phone I sent my project to him. It will be Christmas in the spring for me, I'm looking forward to seeing what he has built for me.

I am eagerly awaiting my build from him. I have talked with him three times on the phone so far and have been impressed with his patience and understanding. I look forward to posting about his work very soon!

What a horrible thing to do to a good gunsmith. Now all his time will be spent answering the phone telling people, "no I don't offer a gunsmithing course".
So where is he located? Just wanted to get my phone call in before all the others.
Nice write up, sounds like a real nice guy.

I have had the distinct pleasure of taking Robert's gunsmithing class. I have no desire to build rifles, I just wanted to see how Custom rifles really went together. What an awesome experience! I never really had any idea exactly how much thought & work really goes into a Custom build. I came away with a whole new appreciation for the work that Custom gunsmith's do.
It was the first time that I had ever operated a lathe or mill. Robert was very patient & understanding. I had to double check & ask to make sure I was turning the wheels correctly on the lathe & mill. It had to be "fun to watch". In trying to find more info
I happened to find this Podcast of a no preparation phone interview with Robert. With all do respect the interview takes a few minutes to get going but I feel that a lot of folks will find it informative.
After my experience with Robert I am Proud to call him Friend.
http://www.personalarmament.com/2010/12/meet-the-smiths-podcast-robert-gradous.html
Semper Fi

Are the jaws of the lathe chuck modified or are they made that way with replaceable inserts? I have not seen that before. I usally see a copper wire wrapped around the barrel but I like that setup better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am eagerly awaiting my build from him. I have talked with him three times on the phone so far and have been impressed with his patience and understanding. I look forward to posting about his work very soon! </div></div>

What kind of rifle build are you waiting on, if you don't mind me asking...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am eagerly awaiting my build from him. I have talked with him three times on the phone so far and have been impressed with his patience and understanding. I look forward to posting about his work very soon! </div></div>

What kind of rifle build are you waiting on, if you don't mind me asking...? </div></div>

.308 winchester:
Surgeon 591 action
Krieger #10 MTU 1:10 5R 24" finished
Manners T5A
Badger M4 floorplate
Timney Trigger