• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Experience Putting a Surgeon 591 in a Manners PRS-TCS Stock

Paul_H

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 20, 2019
Norwich, CT
Thought I would share my experience putting my Surgeon 591 action into my newly arrived Manners PRS-TCS stock. It took a bit of work to get my Surgeon to fit properly in the stock. Two primary issues were the bolt release shroud and the bolt handle. Here's the details and some pics for anyone else thinking of running this combination. To me these were minor issues and well worth the effort as I really like a more traditional stock and love the adjustability of the TCS.

First, the Surgeon bolt release shroud was interfering with proper fitment of the action in the chassis. A little bit of work with a file and Foredom tool and I was able to relieve a small area so the action would sit inside the mini-chassis correctly. I'm still debating how much more to round off the edges of the opening I added.

Second issue was the bolt was not closing all the way. There was some interference between the stock and bottom of the bolt lever. A bit of work with the Foredom and I was able to relieve that area as well. I can see where the bolt handle is just kissing the mini-chassis when fully closed, but the bolt is fully closing so I don't think that will be an issue, and if it is a very small relief cut should fix it up.

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

Par for the course for fiberglass stocks and Rem 700 footprint aftermarket chassis/bedding blocks.

If you ordered the stock for a Surgeon then it would have fit but seems like it was a standard 700 set up. The 700 doesn't have a side bolt release so that area wasn't releived and also has a swept back bolt unlike the Surgeon straight bolt so again you had to mod for it. This is a good post for anyone who is looking to order a stock from Manners or if they bought one that was in stock on what mods they might have to do to a 700 stock on other actions.

Reactions: Diablo and Baron23
Ditto, when ordering, tell Manners in the notes section of the order form, or call/email, each and every model of action/barrel size you plan to install in the chassis, and they will overlap the tolerances to meet them all. It's a lesson I learned through my own error, lolol

The marketing for the PRS-TCS says "The action area of this stock is lowered so there is no need for a port or side bolt release cut to fit most actions." I know on the PRS1 and PRS2 it's action specific, but had hoped my Surgeon was in the the "most actions" category. I also grabbed one as soon as it became available from Altus, so didn't custom order. Live and learn. Also didn't know about the Surgeon being a straight bolt vs the swept back bolt, so learned something new.

Reactions: DangerRanger