• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Fall Project/40-X wannabe

SDWhirlwind

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
Just for giggles I am posting pics of my latest project. I purchased a stripped standard barreled 40-X receiver from CMP last Jan. It was a 1961 and near mint. Bolt lugs had only very minor blue rubs from a bolt camming. Rest of blue 95%+. As I am an M40ish whore I redid a stock I had to fit, pillar and glass bed it and refinished. Redid tang area to accept a 40-XB trigger and safety lever. Hasn't been tested yet. Will consider cutting barrel from 28" to perhaps 24" after I shoot it some. Redfield 3x9, old Redfield rings etc. Not perfect but I kinda like how it turned out. Going to be my truck pdog rig hopefully if I live till next summer.lol Was a fun project. Now need to get after my 223 and 308 for a set of near triplets.
smile.gif

Remington40-Xrimfire003.jpg

Remington40-Xrimfire008.jpg

Remington40-Xrimfire009.jpg

My dialup just flat sucks butt to upload pics etc!!!!

Respectfully,
Dennis

Re: My Fall Project/40-X wannabe

Just keep your eyes peeled, look on Gunbroker, the classified ads on Rimfirecentral ect. I looked for half a year before I found what I was looking for. CMP may or may not be releasing 700 or so 40-x .22s next spring/summer.

Part of my problem is jumping between likeing the M40ish rifles and liking the newer style rifles. But I defintely know I would love to have one of them to take out in the back yard.

You say you bought a stripped barrelled receiver, did the bolt come with? I thought it was like the name suggests, "stripped barreled receiver". If not, where did you find the bolt?

Yes, I bought a 'stripped barreled receiver' which was a 40-X. The bolt I had purchased some months prior for a spare, it is from the newer 700 based 40-XB. Had the trigger and an extra bolt stop also. Purchased the load ramp/ejector from Jack First Gun Shop, Rapid City, SD. Haven't tested headspace with this bolt yet but also have a couple of new Kiff bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I bought a 'stripped barreled receiver' which was a 40-X. The bolt I had purchased some months prior for a spare, it is from the newer 700 based 40-XB. Had the trigger and an extra bolt stop also. Purchased the load ramp/ejector from Jack First Gun Shop, Rapid City, SD. Haven't tested headspace with this bolt yet but also have a couple of new Kiff bolts.</div></div>

Dennis, do you have any comparison photos of the newer Rem700-based 40-XB bolt versus the new Kiff bolts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis, do you have any comparison photos of the newer Rem700-based 40-XB bolt versus the new Kiff bolts? </div></div>

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm

They have a pic posted there. They use their tactical handle rather than the standard 700 swept back handle. Kiff makes the bolts for new production Remington 40x Custom Shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis, do you have any comparison photos of the newer Rem700-based 40-XB bolt versus the new Kiff bolts? </div></div>

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm

They have a pic posted there. They use their tactical handle rather than the standard 700 swept back handle. Kiff makes the bolts for new production Remington 40x Custom Shop. </div></div>

That be it in the pic. I thought Dave was going to raise the price after the first initial run of 200 from $199 to like $225 or $250 for those made afterwards? I bought 2 figuring if that were the case I could always get my money back if I decided not to buy another barreled receiver??? Also wanted them to have enough preorders to actually do it. Have to say shit to that as I will have a hard time recouping my cost if my price is same as Kiff's current price!!!!

Looks very nice! A word of caution, slug that barrel before you pick a point to chop it shorter. That 24" spot might just be after a tighter point or it might be at a particularly loose point in the bore and it will shoot like trash afterwards.

Cutting it back to 22" instead of 24 because that's where the tight spot in the bore happens to be will suit you better on target than the looks will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks very nice! A word of caution, slug that barrel before you pick a point to chop it shorter. That 24" spot might just be after a tighter point or it might be at a particularly loose point in the bore and it will shoot like trash afterwards.

Cutting it back to 22" instead of 24 because that's where the tight spot in the bore happens to be will suit you better on target than the looks will. </div></div>

Yea I know, that's why it is still 28" is cause I have never whacked off(yea, you can laugh and call me a liar
smile.gif
)a rimfire tube. Don't have the means to slug a bore currently and know that to not do so on a rimfire tube is 'at your own risk' type of deal. Might well send it off to a rimfire smith??? Thanks for the heads up anyhoo
smile.gif

If you have a 22 rimfire bullet and a cleaning rod, you have the means to slug the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a 22 rimfire bullet and a cleaning rod, you have the means to slug the bore. </div></div>

Hmmmm....apparently you don't know how my luck runs???? Congestive heart failure @ 39 with a pacer/defib, prothetic mitral valve @ 41, severe ankylosing spondolitis @ 25 and scoleosis in my spine,had to quit my management job of 19yrs @ 44, 3 divorces with 1st and last of them deciding to bang another guy and you are suggesting <span style="font-weight: bold">I </span> should stick a bullet in a barrel and try to push it through with a metal rod????
wink.gif
I don't go to free lunches because with my luck I would end up with the heimlick manuver!!! So NOW do you understand my reservations on slugging it myself?? Man,....you have some nerve
smile.gif