• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My family's history of racism

Cherodjr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2020
In the early 1900's my grandfather owned cattle, farmed and had a general store in Northeast Mississippi plus a ranch in Texas. I don't know all the details, but he employed a young black boy. During his employment, the black boy found himself in need a place to live. My grandfather's family of six children took the boy in. Somewhere along the way the boy acquired the nick name of Snow Ball. ( Remember this was Mississippi)

My Grandfather died just prior to the Great Depression, when my mother was six years old. My grandmother did not have his business savvy, so she lost everything but his farm land. She lost the ranch in Texas because she could not pay the taxes.

As I was growing up in the 50's, my parents worked, so when school was out, I often hung out with my uncle who farmed and was a rural letter carrier, going back prior to the depression. His farm land was improved by paying people 50 cents a day and these people were glad to get to work. My uncle had three families living on his farm. They were share croppers - my uncle provided the equipment, seeds, fertilizer, and the families provided all the labor. After the cotton harvest, net profits less the advancements the families drew during the year, were "shared"

One of the families were black. (In those days, to be respectful, they were called colored). This family had a son about my age. When my uncle was busy, he often asked the boy's father to keep an eye on me. Many a day I have eaten in the modest house my uncle provided. I still remember swatting the flies away while eating. The widows and doors were open for cooling. The boy went to a separate but unequal school. My State has a horrible history of dealing with black people.
While I admit using the "N" word, I try to judge people by their actions, rather than there skin color.

But what chaps my ass is the honor this country has given Martin Luther King. Dr (honorary, not earned) King is the only person in the USA to have a day in his honor, not Washington, not Lincoln. These men are all lumped into president's day. So is MLK the most important man to ever live here? I don't think so!

And now George Floyd, who died as a result of a crime, is getting more attention than President Kennedy. The people who riot are justified " as just letting their frustrations out". Is the business owner not frustrated when his property is destroyed?

Have a great day from Water Valley, MS!

I'm going to suggest you go back over and edit some of your post.
If someone later puts things together as to who you are in real life, there is a chance a statement you made in your post could negatively affect your future career.

Also if you were growing up in the 50s, I'm sure you should remember how much of an impact Kennedy's murder had on the country at that time. He is also still well remembered and respected by many to this day half a century later.

Reactions: MCHOG
If someone later puts things together as to who you are in real life, there is a chance a statement you made in your post could negatively affect your future career.

Also if you were growing up in the 50s, I'm sure you should remember how much of an impact Kennedy's murder had on the country at that time. He is also still well remembered and respected by many to this day half a century later.
Thanks, Kennedy was killed in 1962! I'm 70, what statement should I edit or remove?

He was killed in ‘63, don’t know if that was a typo or a mistake on the year. If I was 70 and retired, I wouldn’t bother editing a single thing.
No, the year was my mistake. Thank you!

If we can't talk about racism, we can never end it. That's the point. IMO the loud ones are the racist's.

Reactions: Steel head
If something I said 25 years ago affects my future career, I'm in the wrong business.

A slave to political correctness, social justice, and gender equality, not a free man entitled to any constitutional principles or free to exercise my rights and beliefs.

I'll say what I damn well please, and live in a cardboard box under a bridge b4 I will live that slave life.

I do not have to be equal to any motherfucker, dont have to keep up with the Jones, dont have to drive a fancy car, dont have to dress fashion, do not have to have any of that shit. That shit that makes you a SLAVE to it.

Give me dirt poor Appalachia and free choice any day of the week, any time, any place.

Do not make the mistake of thinking me or mine think like happy slaves to the tax establishment that wants you to keep giving in more every day. Kissing everybody's ass so THEY can feel good about being fucked up, whether identity confused or addicted to substance, or angry because somebody did somebody wrong some time ago.

Uncle Joe killed several million in camps. Those descendants have reason to hold a grudge against Uncle Joe's regime and hold outs, several million reasons.
Uncle Mao, same shit, millions.
Red Americans, same shit, whole tribes.

Very few United States born Americans alive today, can say the government they were born under tried to kill them like Uncles Joe, Mao, and Sam did the above mentioned. Not at all, not in the least, no fucking way.
Yet the Americans alive today are willing to bitch, moan, complain, cry, carp, and whine about how bad it is here today. Slaves to some bullshit that keeps them slaves, under the system's thumbs.

Free people, free thought, free speech, in short supply today, because somebody's agenda likes it that way.

I know too many people who have found the will to fight, to grow, and to succeed, and who have done so, despite obstacles placed in their way by agenda. I know people of every race, sex, persuasion, identity, you name it, who have succeeded in life and business because they had the will to get there in spite of agenda obstacles and didnt let what was said to them hold them back nor what was done to them hold them back.
Because THEY ALL refused to be slaves to the agenda.

So, I'm not going to worry about what I said then or now.

It's all about choosing to succeed, by not letting pussified feelings stop you from acting, going forward, clawing out of that place keeping you a slave to somebody's agenda.

View people by their repeated actions, not their inadvertent words said once or twice long ago.
View people by how they help or hurt you today, in the here and now.
Choose the people willing to accept you as you are, willing to help you no matter what you are, and who show that every day to you.
Be their friend, companion, bud, cover their back.

A bunch of people might be surprised how different their lives could be by doing so.

And what was said, a long time ago, fades into the obscurity it needs to go to, when todays actions prove the better quality of a person who made mistakes, learned from them, and grew, and lives the growth today.

Make the right choice, TODAY.

Judge me by my today and what I bring in a helping hand. Not a mistake I might have made 25 years ago, or, get the fuck out of my life. Just sayin...

Racism is real. But, it's just part of the problem, not the whole problem. See above, treat all people by what they bring good to the table, no matter their race or identity. Problem will get better.

Any race of people can point to another race and say one or other of another race is treated better than them, and at some point could create a racial pecking order.

A Hispanic in Southeast Asia will say asians are racist to Hispanics.

An Asian in Zimbabwe will say Zimbabweans are racist to Asians...

And I could go on, but, really, why..... ?

Woman of any race, paid less than any man of the same race, in the same job, but doing the same job equally could claim discrimination. But not racism

Poor uneducated people of any race could claim discrimination by educated elites of the same race. BTDT, got that tee shirt, and all you other deplorables do too... race and racism ain't got shit to do with that...

If fact, in places, if you arent the same tribe, but, are the same race, somebody not of your tribe cut off your hands, feet, arms, or legs with a machete and put the stumps into boiling tar to cauterize stump, and let you live, so they could continue to humiliate you later. Ain't racism.

Racism IS a problem, no doubt, but, the above examples point to the bigger problem of who wants to be king and more powerful as a better example of the root problem.

Reality is hidden by agenda. Agenda creates insidious slavery in many forms. Racism used as a weapon helps the slaver...

See the reality. Act on it. Be a brother to a brother in need, start fixing what you can.

Read the other post, put it into practice.

Best to you all. VR

• Love
Reactions: Snipe260
My hardcore card carrying Democrat grandma wouldn’t let me watch a certain popular TV show with a couple black kids in it and refused to watch her favorite show if there was a black in that episode.

Moving to the south blacks treatment of me certainly reinforced any racism I had.

Now that I’m older I know a few quite successful blacks and their attitude is refreshing and inspirational.

You have those who push forward and those who blame and fester, white or black, only the source of their perceived limitations is different.

I can hate with the best of them but I can’t hate on anyone who’s bettered their lives and utilized one of this country’s best features, the ability to prosper if you work for it.

Reactions: j-huskey
1591636592092.png

Everybody gets hated at some point. I have been hated by lots of people for a myriad of reasons, and a few times it actually had to do with race (I'm caucasian). I never thought about applying that sin to anybody but that small group of assholes that were directly responsible.

We don't need more conversations about race. What we need is for everyone to shut the fuck up about it.
As long as it continues to be acknowledged, it continues to be a wedge.

It has become a bludgeon of the victim class.
The goal is not equity... it is payback. The people wielding this weapon of race are wielding it in the manner of a revolutionary.
It is demonizing and accusing whole classes of people that they intend to usurp or eliminate.

No system is perfectly fair, and humans are sinful, shitty creatures. We can be genuinely sorry for the sins of the past, but when you come around to the idea that you are going to somehow appease groups that have found power in those sins, there is no end to that. You will lose your culture completely.

We are there I think.

I don't see how this trend gets reversed. It has been in the public conscience for so long, that I truly believe that the unthinking, gulity feeling, self hating american will refuse to be persuaded otherwise.

Reactions: MCHOG and j-huskey

It's sad the man was killed .but what did he do to be so revered?not what was done ,but what did he do.ill give him props for marlin n what he did in ww2 but that family has been a pimple on the ass of this country for years

He should not have gotten killed! If he was not a criminal making bad decisions, he would be alive today!

Reactions: 10ring'r