• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first 3000.00 .22LR rifle

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
I sold the barrel out of my 18" Larue SSS so I had a free float tube and scope laying around. I got bored and decided to slap this thing together.

After shooting it, I'm probably going to end up leaving it pretty similar to the way it is.

spikes.jpg

spikes2.jpg

Using CCI Green Tags I was able to put 25rds through a 1/2 hole at 15 yards with the gun braced against my thumb.

The build is as follows:

Spikes 16" uppper with standard CM barrel
Larue 13.2
Larue SPR mnt and 3.5-10MK4
RRA lower with Geissele DMR trigger

Even though this gun turned out a bit heavier than I originally planned on, it balances extremely well. To make it balance I had to run a buffer in the stock even though it's not required.

The upper is built extremely well. The only issue I had was with the factory charging handle, somehow the channel where the carrier rides was a bit tight and caused the gun to malfunction.

Ammo selection has not been an issue with the gun, it'll run everything and anything. The CCI standards and green tags have yeilded the best accuracy.

I will be purchasing a YHM Mite to go on this build in the near future. I like the idea of having a .22 can that can be cleaned easily.

The 1 MOA m3 knobs on the scope are well suited for this gun since I have to dial in a lot of elevation going from 25 yards to 100 yards.

Re: My first 3000.00 .22LR rifle

Damn that look good. How long of a wait was the spike's .22lr upper?

I need to bug them and see if they'll build one using a stainless Green Mountain barrel. I'm not too keen on Chromemoly barrels. (It's wet around here and stuff likes to rust.)

It's wet around here too and I haven't had any issues.

I also purchased the upper a while back and it sat as a standard upper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that look good. How long of a wait was the spike's .22lr upper? </div></div>

they claim they are ready to go in 1 to 3 weeks in most configurations

i have been waiting for almost a month, however i believe the current wait is on mags, and not the complete conversion upper. the best i can do for you

Just picked up one myself today. Going to run a few thousand throu it tomorrow I hope. If you're looking for one quick there are a few dealers over at ar15.com that stock them forsale. Someone is sure to have one in stock. Palmetostate has the new CMMG mags on sale for 19.99. Only high cap as the 10 round is not out yet. Donald

Good call on the Mite.

Shoot a couple of squirts of Break Free into the Mite before every shooting session (keeps lead and powder from sticking), and clean up will be as simple as running the baffle piece under the faucet.

Regards,

Matt

I love my Spikes as well. I cant complain shoots quarter size groups at 50 Heck this is a plinker not a tack driver but it gets the job done. Especially with the price of Ammo these days, just wish I could find a black dog machine loader,

IMG_2494.jpg

I started having some issues with mine yesterday. I was getting a bunch of out of battery fires and the rounds were getting hard to chamber. I stripped the thing down then I polished the chamber opening and the chamber. We'll see how it works today

Firing out of battery is very dangerous. You should give that gun to me before you kill yourself! I am just a concerned citizen trying to help.