• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First AR Build

DownWindOutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2011
New York
www.downwindoutdoors.com
Hey guys, I thought I would share my first AR-15 build with Sniper's Hide seeing how I am always coming here for ideas and pictures and I thought why not contribute with pictures from my build?

This is the first batch of parts I got in and I am still waiting on the trigger and buffer tube to start putting it together. Stay tuned for updates and thanks for checking it out!

AR-15-First.jpg

Re: My First AR Build

With the Magpul PRS and flat top... are you planning to put a scope on this and go for long range varminting/ precision shooting? Or build a run'n'gun plinker? When I do a build I decide what I'm going to use it for, pick a barrel first (length's important), and go from there.

I was just messing with you about the barrel. I had confidence that you knew you would need one, plus a gas block, gas tube, handguard, etc.

Hopefully you will be doing stationary predator hunting thats close to your vehicle. Not trying to bust your balls, but have you handled an AR with a 26" heavy barrel? My dad has one with a 24" bull and its a damn pig! I wouldnt want to be toting it around very much but it works well in the prairie dog fields at a bench next to the truck.

On the other hand, one of my AR's has a 16" bull and it shoots like a house on fire (and is a lot easier to carry around, if Im so inclined). Just food for thought.

You probably already know this, but you will be very limited with the 12" twist as well (light bullets). If you ever want to stretch its legs it would be nice to have a faster twist to be able to shoot heavier bullets (69gr+) to buck the wind better. Again, just food for thought.

I'm with wfjames, 26" is gonna be a pig. I hope you don't plan on carrying this around. 18" should be plenty. My heavy 24" is dam near 20lbs with optics. When I shoot this barrel out, I'm going for a medium contour 18".

oh wait, didn't see the AR15 part. I was referring to my LR308 but 26" is still gonna be cumbersome to lug around.

I agree with a faster twist my 1-8 & 1-9 shoot the 55 & 60gr vmax into nice little groups. Who's going to chamber your kreiger? Might I suggest CLE Frank White or White Oak Armory??? Nice start. My 20" 1-7.7 Kreiger kicks ass out to 600 heavy match bullets though. I think a 24" 223 wouldn't be to bad definitely not a bull barrel the whole length though. The 1-9 twist I have is 24" & fluted. No problem at all & definitely not 20#

Im slinging 69SMK's out to 600 and beyond very nicely out of that 1 in 9" twist 16" bull.

A 1:12 would be almost fine for varmints, but for predators, you may be shooting heavier/longer bullets. I'd go at least 1:9 so that you could shoot 69gr bullets. I would have just made the jump to 1:7, but that might limit you on the lighter side of the bullet weight range.

In any case, I really wouldn't go that long on the barrel. Remember, the longer the barrel, the heavier the profile needs to be to keep it rigid. In other words, a shorter barrel can be lighter while maintaining accuracy/rigidity. With the 26" barrel and the scope setup alone you're going to be looking at something around 8-9lbs. I'd suggest going with an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system. Due to the short dwell time, it will shoot ultra soft and smooth, so you won't need all of that weight to help keep it steady under fire.

I built a precision rig around a Vltor upper not too long ago. I really liked the look of the upper. It has that billet look, although it is forged. What I found was that I was getting the performance out of it that I was looking for. When putting it together, I noticed that the upper was a bit sloppy in the tolerances department. Lots of slop in the bolt and the extension to receiver fit. I wound up going with a Daniel Defense receiver. The tolerances were tighter and the extension to receiver fit was much tighter. After going with the DD, things tightened right up with regard to the groups that I was getting. It was just my experience anyway.

Whatever you decide to do, just keep in mind that you don't need a full blown bull barrel (especially from Krieger) to get accuracy. A heavy rifle is a real PITA to lug around.

Thanks for all the input guys, I love reading the feedback.

This is my first AR but not my first heavy gun, I have three 22-250's and a 22-250 Ackley which are ALL heavy guns...some of which having a 26" straight contour making them weigh in the mid to high teens. I love to be able to steady a heavy gun on a predator!

As far as the twist goes, I just haven't been satisfied with the way my 55gr rounds have been performing on my pelts. I figure why not drop 5gr's and try that also, we don't deal with much wind where we hunt predators out here in NY so I kinda negate that aspect in my bullet choice.

To the OP, great start on the build. I agree with the other posters about barrel length, I mean you know what you want at the end of the day but longest I'd go would be 18" and a 1:8 twist.

dlxcupid - sweet rig, got the same lower pretty much in black, wish I went FDE. That looks great.

DSC00559.jpg

I used an 18" barrel on this, with a LaRue 13.2" rail
The barrel is a Noveske Mod0 7pt, 1/7 twist.
Lower is Noveske N4, upper LaRue A4, Geissele SSA trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just messing with you about the barrel. I had confidence that you knew you would need one, plus a gas block, gas tube, handguard, etc.

Hopefully you will be doing stationary predator hunting thats close to your vehicle. Not trying to bust your balls, but have you handled an AR with a 26" heavy barrel? My dad has one with a 24" bull and its a damn pig! I wouldnt want to be toting it around very much but it works well in the prairie dog fields at a bench next to the truck.

On the other hand, one of my AR's has a 16" bull and it shoots like a house on fire (and is a lot easier to carry around, if Im so inclined). Just food for thought. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with wfjames, 26" is gonna be a pig. I hope you don't plan on carrying this around. 18" should be plenty. My heavy 24" is dam near 20lbs with optics. When I shoot this barrel out, I'm going for a medium contour 18".</div></div>

Might be a good Idea to take these guys advice if you've never handled an AR with a 26" Bull BBL,I had a White Oak 204 Ruger in a 26" BBL,was a Laser Beam on anything out to 400yds or so,but good luck if you had to swing it to make your shot,it was a tank suitable for shooting off a bench or car hood at stationary targets like Rockchucks,Crows and Magpies way out there.Tried using it as a calling rifle once,never again,and sold it soon after.

You can't go wrong with a Krieger barrel but I agree with everyone else on the length and twist rate. 1 in 7.7; 1 in 8 or 1 in 9. The 1 in 12 will really limit the bullets that it will shoot accurately.

The build should be completed any day now, all I am waiting on is the barrel from Krieger and this gun is good to go.

Jewell Trigger
MagPul PRS Stock
Saber Tactical Lower
MagPul MIAD Grip
MagPul B.A.D Lever
MagPul PMAG 20

IMG_5347_Crop.jpg

Don't forget a charging handle & BUIS. I like the gunfighter by BCM & Troy sights. Barrel dependent on application/preference. Nothing more than 18". Have fun, its always great to make your own build.