• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First AR

GSPKurt

III
Minuteman
May 19, 2009
Trenton, FL.
Well, I have finally finished my first AR. It is a Palmetto State Armory rifle that I partially built myself. I ordered an M4 upper and a stripped lower. I then assembled the lower with a PSA LPK, with help from AR15.com. I added an Ergo grip and Mag-Pul collapsible stock in FDE. I then added a Nikon M223 4-12X40 SF scope with BDC in a Primary Arms mount to the M4 upper. I then fired it to see how I liked it. After firing, I decided to make some changes. I replaced the stock handguard with a Midwest Industries T-7 free-float quad rail and front trim ring, the Primary Arms mount with a Burris PEPR Quick-Release mount, the front sight/gas block with a YHM lo-pro gas block, the stock safety with an ambi safety, the trigger/hammer springs with Wolff springs and the stock charging handle with a BCM Gunfighter large latch handle and a Mag-Pul FDE trigger guard. I sprayed a few mags with FDE paint and added Mag-Pul magazine pulls. I finished it off with Mag-Pul FDE ladder rail covers, a Mag-Pul BAD lever and a Harris bipod. I think I got it all. Comments? Did I do anything ill-advised? It shoots great, BTW...

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

Re: My First AR

Looks good man. I was wondering how the PEPR QD mount works?
For the money if the mount actually holds and returns zero it would be a great mount for the money.

I haven't removed & replaced the scope yet, but plan on this week to see how it holds zero.

Thank you!

I have no idea why I used the pic rail scope ring caps, I'll prob never use them. But they sure look cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea why I used the pic rail scope ring caps, I'll prob never use them. But they sure look cool! </div></div>
Thats just a Burris thing. Even if you were to run a red dot you wouldn't want it there.
I did some timed test with my Burris XTR in the standard mount and it was quicker to hit the switchview then it was to lower the rifle to make target with the red dot on top of the mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea why I used the pic rail scope ring caps, I'll prob never use them. But they sure look cool! </div></div>
Thats just a Burris thing. Even if you were to run a red dot you wouldn't want it there.
I did some timed test with my Burris XTR in the standard mount and it was quicker to hit the switchview then it was to lower the rifle to make target with the red dot on top of the mount. </div></div>

thats why you put the red dot on a dropped 45

That's alotta scope... put a white light on the cap if ya want or swap it for a standard xtr cap if it bugs ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea why I used the pic rail scope ring caps, I'll prob never use them. But they sure look cool! </div></div>
I did some timed test with my Burris XTR in the standard mount and it was quicker to hit the switchview then it was to lower the rifle to make target with the red dot on top of the mount. </div></div>

thats why you put the red dot on a dropped 45 </div></div>
Yes Outsy I know, but the Burris rings were not setup for a 45 DD mount. I was simply saying the burris rings with the rail on the top of the rings is pointless. I wouldn't shoot with both (scope/red dot) because I don't want to shoot open. I think the JP offset sights are better than most red dots. JMHO