• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first attempt at camo

SavageStag

Tech Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
Nellis AFB, NV
I don't have the balls to paint my Nightforce, so I painted my Marlin 17 instead. Do you think it does a good job breaking up the outline?
For anyone thinking about painting your rifle, I say go for it. It took quite a bit of work, but was very rewarding in the end.

April-May09232.jpg

Re: My first attempt at camo

I like it! Nice job, and as far as I've seen its very original. Especially nice for a first time. Congrats

That looks great! I know what you mean about the NF, The first Mark 4 that I took the sand paper too made me very nervous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: urhuckleberry21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it! Nice job, and as far as I've seen its very original. Especially nice for a first time. Congrats</div></div>

Krylon, I'm also considering using some matte clear coat.

I'm scared shitless to paint mine and I don't have NEAR what some of you guys have tied up in yours.

I like that pattern A LOT.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a spare stock laying around, so I may have to do a step by step on how to do this paint job. It really wasn't hard at all.

I use to matte clear my stuff also. After some problems with a tacky finish even after baking, a guy told me to skip the clear. I stripped my SPS stock and did it without the clear and have been very happy with it since. Nice looking job on the rifle.

Looks good! I used Minwax fast drying poly satin on one of my guns and it worked well. Its tough and resists chemical cleaners so far. It will look a bit shiny for about a week until completely dry then its fairly dull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use to matte clear my stuff also. After some problems with a tacky finish even after baking, a guy told me to skip the clear. I stripped my SPS stock and did it without the clear and have been very happy with it since. Nice looking job on the rifle.</div></div>

Thanks, I'll skip the clear then. I really didn't feel like doing it anyhow.

I don't think the clear is entirely necessary. I have been using my SPS in the field and the plastic stock isn't showing any signs of wear yet from riding in the vehicles, getting bumped around, carried on the ATV, and general hunting use and prone shooting. Mine isn't a safe queen by any means. The duracoat on the muzzle has started to chip, but the stock and the Krylon hasn't yet.