• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first bolt action rifle!

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I was going to title this post, "My first precision rifle," but that remains to be seen.

It's a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 with a Vortex Viper HS 5-15 Mil/Mil zero stop midway special I bought here on the hide. It has been riding on my 10/22 until I could afford something more serious. I put it in a Mcrees Folder that I also got here on the hide today.

I shot it once with the stock it came with. I ended up on a very wobbly bench shooting off my backpack while other shooters with Mosin Nagants and AK-47s and even a fully automatic AR-15 with a belt fed upper blazed around me. I sighted it in and tried shooting some groups that all ended up in the vicinity of 2". Considering how much the bench was wobbling I decided not to be too worried. Planning to get it out again soon with a stable rest and the new stock and see what it (and I) can do.

On a side note, it initially seemed that the plastic SPS Varmint stock was pretty rigid. When I took the stock off I figured out why. It was pressed against the barrel, taking quite a bit of the finish off the barrel in the 40 rounds I shot.

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
Looks like a great start

SPS-V is a good starting place. that was my first as well. I put mine in a 5R take-off stock and it was a good shooter. mine favored 168gr Hornady HPBT and Reloader 15 in LC cases. my only other locally available option was hornady SST hunting ammo which was decent.