• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first build. How did I do?

khall540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
Beaver Dam, WI
Last fall I picked up a LH Remington 700 .308 Sendero. Here is what it looked like when I bought it. (Minus the base, bipod, and rings.)

2011-10-15174439.jpg

I made my first purchased from a fellow hide member and got a Badger M5 DBM with a 5 round AICS mag. This sat in the safe for a good 8 months until a new stock was in order. 5 round mag wasn't good enough (I'm not sure why?) so I also picked up a 10 round mag which joined it in the safe.

I then bought the EGW 20MOA base and Burris XTR Low rings. I made the mistake and cheaped out on a Millett 4-16X50 scope.

Since then, I have sold the scope, bottom metal and stock. Upgraded to a Manners T4A and Bushnell 6-24X50 mil/mil FFP with the G2 reticle. I had the barrel threaded and added a Muscle Break and also sent the bolt in to Kampfield to have a new bolt knob installed. TIS sling and knockoff Harris bi-pod was also added.

Here is how it sits toady. I have 102 rounds logged through it.
2012-06-01165223.jpg

Here are my first 5 shots I have ever shot with this rifle last fall, after zeroing it.

2012-06-04133739.jpg

After months of reading and learning and practicing, here is how it shot this afternoon. I have never shot this good of a 5 shot group before..

2012-06-04133910.jpg

Also, here are some photos through the scope. Yeah, I know they are kindy shitty looking, but I took them with a cell phone and wanted to show the G2 reticle.

2012-06-04130850.jpg

2012-06-04131019.jpg

All in all I am very happy and satisfied with this rifle. I enjoyed the search and hunt for new parts and accessories, but I don't want it to be over yet. I have shot 12" steel plates out to 600 yards, and that was before the new scope and stock. The only thing I would still like to do with this rifle is add a Huber 2-Stage trigger and have the action and pillars bedded. Any thoughts, questions or suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: My first build. How did I do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johninok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks sick sitting in that manners. </div></div>

I had never held one before and almost went with the AICS 2.0 but after laying in behind this thing, I'm happy I went w/ Manners. Thanks to everyone on here who pointed me in the right direction! Only problem is now I want one for my Rem 700 22-250...

Fantastic looking rifle and that is a marked improvement in groups.
Congratulations.

You might notice some improvement if you bed the rifle, but it seems to be pretty good without it. It could probably wait until the winter time unless you know someone that could turn it around in just a couple weeks.

Good looking stick! It's always great when your groups start to get tighter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might notice some improvement if you bed the rifle, but it seems to be pretty good without it. It could probably wait until the winter time unless you know someone that could turn it around in just a couple weeks. </div></div>

Yeah... right now is not the time for me to send this thing away to the smith for several weeks. I didn't want to put it back in the safe this afternoon. I went crazy for the 5+ weeks it sat waiting to get the barrel threaded. I definatley want to get it bedded though to make it feel "complete."

Nice stick! Looks and shoots like two different guns. I like the stock, too and have really been thinking about getting a T4A. What color is that?

Well...First of all, the Bolt Handle is on the wrong side...LOL...J/K Bro!!!

It's a very nice looking rifle!!! You did Great going with the Manners T4A. I got one with the Mini Chasis on my Rem 700 5R Mil Spec. It feels and shoots fantastic! I also have the G2 Reticle except in a Bushnell HDMR and I Love It! So our rifles are pretty much the same setup. At this point I really don't see much more you can do to it other than a nice New Trigger tuned down to 3 or less lbs. Other than that, like many will say to new shooters, most likely these rifles will out shoot us. Save the extra $$$ and put it towards AMMO for practice. Also, to better utilize the G2 Reticles I'd get a Data Book and a Mildot Master or one of the Mildot wheels. It'll help you learn to use the Mil/Mil Setup and Dial for adjustments. And maybe a good Range Finder too if you're going to do a lot of Unknown Distance in the future. Good Luck with the rifle man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick! Looks and shoots like two different guns. I like the stock, too and have really been thinking about getting a T4A. What color is that? </div></div>

The color is Coyote Tan. It looks like two different colors depending on the light coverage when I took some photos of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTOOTH5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well...First of all, the Bolt Handle is on the wrong side...LOL...J/K Bro!!!

It's a very nice looking rifle!!! You did Great going with the Manners T4A. I got one with the Mini Chasis on my Rem 700 5R Mil Spec. It feels and shoots fantastic! I also have the G2 Reticle except in a Bushnell HDMR and I Love It! So our rifles are pretty much the same setup. At this point I really don't see much more you can do to it other than a nice New Trigger tuned down to 3 or less lbs. Other than that, like many will say to new shooters, most likely these rifles will out shoot us. Save the extra $$$ and put it towards AMMO for practice. Also, to better utilize the G2 Reticles I'd get a Data Book and a Mildot Master or one of the Mildot wheels. It'll help you learn to use the Mil/Mil Setup and Dial for adjustments. And maybe a good Range Finder too if you're going to do a lot of Unknown Distance in the future. Good Luck with the rifle man! </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. I have shot and dialed this rifle out to 600 yards and hit a 12" steel plate on several range trips. That was prior to the stock/scope. I do have a mildot master and also a mildot ranging app on my phone. I have practiced with both quite a bit. I was able to use the G2 reticle after I mounted the scope and ranged a door at 377 yards or so. I confirmed with my Bushnell 1500 LRF that it was acutally 370 yard. As far as the data book goes; that is something I need to learn some more about. I understand the concept of a data book but need to learn more about logging the data correctly. This is the first rifle I have ever counted and logged every single round I have fired through it. (102 rounds)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTOOTH5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well...First of all, the Bolt Handle is on the wrong side...LOL...J/K Bro!!!

It's a very nice looking rifle!!! You did Great going with the Manners T4A. I got one with the Mini Chasis on my Rem 700 5R Mil Spec. It feels and shoots fantastic! I also have the G2 Reticle except in a Bushnell HDMR and I Love It! So our rifles are pretty much the same setup. At this point I really don't see much more you can do to it other than a nice New Trigger tuned down to 3 or less lbs. Other than that, like many will say to new shooters, most likely these rifles will out shoot us. Save the extra $$$ and put it towards AMMO for practice. Also, to better utilize the G2 Reticles I'd get a Data Book and a Mildot Master or one of the Mildot wheels. It'll help you learn to use the Mil/Mil Setup and Dial for adjustments. And maybe a good Range Finder too if you're going to do a lot of Unknown Distance in the future. Good Luck with the rifle man! </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. I have shot and dialed this rifle out to 600 yards and hit a 12" steel plate on several range trips. That was prior to the stock/scope. I do have a mildot master and also a mildot ranging app on my phone. I have practiced with both quite a bit. I was able to use the G2 reticle after I mounted the scope and ranged a door at 377 yards or so. I confirmed with my Bushnell 1500 LRF that it was acutally 370 yard. As far as the data book goes; that is something I need to learn some more about. I understand the concept of a data book but need to learn more about logging the data correctly. This is the first rifle I have ever counted and logged every single round I have fired through it. (102 rounds)</div></div>

Sounds like you're well on the right track man. That a lot more what I can say about myself being a Newbie at this as well. Keep up the good work bro!!!

I will say the only thing that I didn't expect was the massive amount this thing weighs. It is like luggin a tank on my shoulder. I will have to try to get it on the scale this weekend to get an idea of what it really is. Maybe I'm just being a pussy?

the weight helps with the recoil, i got a HS stock and it is way too light, my shoulder after my last range trip looked like it went 10 rounds with Iron Mike.

looks like all you need is the trigger now

good looking stick

I would bed it for sure...along with a good trigger, yeah, your groups should shrink further yet. The added weight is your friend, creates a more stable platform, absorbs recoil, and takes longer to heat up (i.e. the barrel). Nice build.

Get you a Jewell trigger and you'll have my dream rifle!!