• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my first custom mosin/nagant -

AMG50

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
N.E. OHIO
This rifle probably isn't for the mosin purist, but it started life as a refurbished 91/30 with an excellent bore, just a little rough everywhere else.

I started by machining a new aluminum chassis/stock on the mill,epoxy bedded reciever and free-floated barrel. Welded new bolt handle to clear scope mount, threaded end of barrel to 1/2-28 and recrowned. I cut a custom vias- type muzzle brake on the lathe. Added a bushnell elite 3200 scope that i got on sale for dirt cheap. The total cost of this build was about 250.00 including the rifle and scope.
With handloads my best 5 shot groups at 100 are .8 moa center to center and an average of .9moa. Not too bad for a 70yr old battle rifle
grin.gif

favorite load - 174smk, prvi brass
44grains varget
fed 210m primer.
--the camo job is a krylon special--
shooting-nagant004.jpg

shooting-nagant005.jpg

shooting-nagant006.jpg

shooting-nagant007.jpg

Re: my first custom mosin/nagant -

i just got into the mosin world, it's a fun world with 2 completely different sides that's for sure, i'm sorta in the middle. anyway to my point, that is one very nice looking rig you got there. just got back from the range with mine today, still trying to get her sited in, but i did see about 9 other mosins there, all orginal, and that is sorta why i want to change mine, but only time will tell.

Heck, I give you $350 for it!!! Nice job, talk about a never ending supply of cheap ammo to shoot!

Very well done, Machining skills are becoming a lost art.

Thanks for the comments guys...

Got the original rifle on sale for $79.00
bushnell scope on sale w/rings $129.00 from swfa.com
scope mount was $30.00 i think on ebay if i remember correctly.
Had about $20.00 in aluminum materials, plus some that i had laying around. = about $258.00 total + lots of my time but can you really count that? haha

Nice indeed! Have You thought to make some chassis to sell them?

VERY nice job.

I looked at the ATI scope mount, but it didn't extend rearward enough for me, I ended up using a Weaver Side Mount.

The Rock Solid mount gets it back, but I didn't care much for the looks of it.

How's the eye relief and cheekweld with the ATI mount?

Very talented, have you considered producing that stock system? I am sure there are a lot of folks that would be in for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desola</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice indeed! Have You thought to make some chassis to sell them? </div></div>
I've considered it, but im not sure it would be worth it for the time involved. I would probably have to charge more than most would be willing to spend on a nagant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VERY nice job.

I looked at the ATI scope mount, but it didn't extend rearward enough for me, I ended up using a Weaver Side Mount.

The Rock Solid mount gets it back, but I didn't care much for the looks of it.

How's the eye relief and cheekweld with the ATI mount? </div></div>
The cheekweld is really good for me on this rifle, i had to mill an extra cross-slot on the mount for the scope to be where i needed it, but it worked out ok. Never used one with a different stock however...

THAT is pretty cool I must say!!! The work you performed and the shooting that it the rifle is capable of is outstanding. You should be proud, as that is a very nicely done set-up!! For the money, you can't even buy a beat up used Rem 700 for that!!!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShamrockIV278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much could u do one for??? </div></div>
Im not sure,I've been thinking about pricing some material in bulk and figuring out my time involved. The only problem i could see running into is the fact that very few of these rifles are identical in terms of manufacturing dimensions on the bottoms of the recievers. This could cause some fitment and accuracy issues if not bedded properly. There would be a few bugs to work out for sure. This one was experimental, to see if it would work.

A Timney trigger would shrink those groups even more...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Timney trigger would shrink those groups even more... </div></div>
I think you read my mind...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like this gun has already become famous amongst the Mosin guys.

http://imgur.com/a/MTTcj </div></div>

Lol....
AMG, can you tell us exactly what the cost on your soul was?
smile.gif

I don't see why people get so butthurt over these... I mean, I don't think I'd take a project with one of these as far as you did. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over what you do with your guns, and in fact can appreciate the work you've done and the time you spent on it. I think you did a good job.

I'd like to see some pics of the inside of the stock if you get a chance.

Yea, i know what you mean. I could see if it was a museum piece or a rare collectible, but it's a $79.00 nagant, nothing more, nothing less. I have several others that will STAY original, just thought it would be a fun one to play with.

I will see if i can find some pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: at4rxj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like this gun has already become famous amongst the Mosin guys.

Lol....
smile.gif

I don't see why people get so butthurt over these... I mean, I don't think I'd take a project with one of these as far as you did. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over what you do with your guns, and in fact can appreciate the work you've done and the time you spent on it. I think you did a good job.

</div></div>

My word, these guns are not remotely rare, at a loss that some dildo at that website would get so bent over it. Needs an opti-analectomy to cut the nerve from his eyeballs to his anus to radically end his crappy outlook on life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: at4rxj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like this gun has already become famous amongst the Mosin guys.

Lol....
smile.gif

</div></div>

My word, these guns are not remotely rare, at a loss that some dildo at that website would get so bent over it. Needs an opti-analectomy to cut the nerve from his eyeballs to his anus to radically end his crappy outlook on life. </div></div>

Lol !!

kortik - barrel length is 26" + muzzle brake

AMG50,

I'm just curious - did you notice any change in POI relative to POA due to this 26" free floating barrel getting relatively hot? Of course, 5 shots is likely not enough to cause this, I would say 8-10 shots in a row may be needed to see this. When I've built my MNs with free floating barrels, I liked to shorten barrels to something like 22"+ muzzle brakes, to improve heat related consistency. I was getting acceptable results even with 24" free floating barrel, but MN barrel heats a lot after 10 shots in a row, and MN original barrel is relatively light, so I'm curious if you had a chance to test your rifle consistency while shooting groups in excess of 5 shots. Thanks.

Really like your work, outstanding rifle!

Outstanding mate, I absolutely love that thing, there is nothing wrong with breathing a bit of life back into the old clunkers.

You're never too old for TACTICOOL
cool.gif

Oh and I was happily surprised not to find my old girl on the Twilight zone
P1030747.jpg

kortik- i havent shot any 10 shot strings with it yet, most of my load development was with 5 shot strings. I will have to try it next time im out and get back to you on that. One thing i did notice however, was my first (cold bore) shot everytime out is almost always dead center at poa and then the groups gradually opened up from there, but never more than .9moa. I've often wondered if i shot a 5 shot group over the course of several hours if it would produce a significantly smaller group. Wouldnt be very practical but could be interesting to see.

S1erra1 - that is seriously one badass nagant...maybe someday you'll be lucky enough to be with us in the twilight zone haha. I was told once, that if you don't piss at least a few people off then your not doing it right.

Nice work. Im working on a very similar project. My 42 round sluged out to .314 so i bought a uk59 barrel for it. Keep up the great work brotha.

Thanks AMG50, that's soo true
grin.gif

Do you have any pic's of the build progress mate? the more I look at it the more I want to have a crack at a similar build, It's very AR30 ish IMHO

I love thses old nagants and mausers i have a stack of em they are fun and cheap to shoop and olny about 2 million in whare houses some place. LOL rare not i just sporterized a 9130 its fun il post some pics that is one Kick azzz 9130 hats off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMG50</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShamrockIV278</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much could u do one for??? </div></div>
Im not sure,I've been thinking about pricing some material in bulk and figuring out my time involved. The only problem i could see running into is the fact that very few of these rifles are identical in terms of manufacturing dimensions on the bottoms of the recievers. This could cause some fitment and accuracy issues if not bedded properly. There would be a few bugs to work out for sure. This one was experimental, to see if it would work. </div></div>

If you decide to build some i would send my barreled action to you for fitting,i have a complete future project model 38 sans stock that would look great in on of those,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMG50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle probably isn't for the mosin purist, but it started life as a refurbished 91/30 with an excellent bore, just a little rough everywhere else.

favorite load - 174smk, prvi brass
44grains varget
fed 210m primer.
--the camo job is a krylon special--
]</div></div>

I appreciate an original virgin finnish mosin......or a super rare estonian nagant which might not even exist besides museums.....but, this thing is awesome! Very nice job.
As far as triggers go, besides a Timney you could always pull one out of a Finnish m28/30 or a m28/76, supposedly those are the nicest triggers ever put in a Mosin. My two m28/76's have them
smile.gif

Couple of MNs with alum. stocks I've built in 1990's. I kind of always liked it all compact and light, even dropped MN magazine for bulpup to keep it simple and under 8 lbs. with scope. As a benefit, got lots of room to put in a really rigid low friction trigger link with full tigger pull force adjustment. Another one on the left is 7.6 lbs. with scope. Approximately 21" barrels on both. Not long range weapons for sure, but provide pretty consistent grouping.

Will be taking "black" one (on the left) and some Barnaul 203 gr. SP for wild boar hunting in TN.
ModMNriflesAl.JPG

^^^ those are some cool rifles.. i've been thinking about taking one and doing something like that one on the left. I was wondering how an 18 or 20" barrel would perform.

18"-20" long barrel performs just fine, POI not effected by heat as much as longer, original barrel (if free floated), velocity/energy, of course, drops somewhat. Shorter barrels are certainly much handier for hunting in the woods. You do want to use some kind of muzzle brake + flash hider arrangement with milsurp ammo for greater comfort.

Cut mine to 22", and shoots just fine at 600 yards...
Heading to the range this week, might even push it to 1000 yards this time, if the wind is kind...

If you shoot comps, the loss of velocity might be a bigger deal. For ringing steel, it's a few more clicks on the elevation turret. With a high BC bullet like the 174 SMK, they'll get out there just fine with a shorter barrel.

IMAG0583.jpg

Here is one I did last year. I cut the barrel to 22" on this one. I just recently tore it all apart to rework some things on it. I'll post up the new pics when I get it all done.
MosinSnow015.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 38scarabkv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not too many ways to have as much fun with $100.00.....
IMG_2080.jpg
[/img] </div></div>
38scarabkv - holy shit, how did you do that? What stock is that and how did you go about inletting and bedding it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 38scarabkv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not too many ways to have as much fun with $100.00.....
IMG_2080.jpg
[/img] </div></div>
38scarabkv - holy shit, how did you do that? What stock is that and how did you go about inletting and bedding it? </div></div>

Yes.. do tell...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S1erra1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding mate, I absolutely love that thing, there is nothing wrong with breathing a bit of life back into the old clunkers.

You're never too old for TACTICOOL
cool.gif

Oh and I was happily surprised not to find my old girl on the Twilight zone
P1030747.jpg
</div></div>

Little more info on this setup too, please...

Hey 38...

Love to see/hear some details on bridging the receiver and moving the bolt handle back...I want to do that on my next one...

Glad some guys get the idea of "fun" with $100...

I cut off bolt handle, bend and move to the rear of the receiver, notch receiver for bolt handle, bridge rear of the receiver with a thick piece of pipe, drill, and tap for modified rem. 700 LA mount, add SKS safety to trigger guard, grind down stupid looking bolt safety disk, cut stock down notch it and add plywood to make it look like a TRG or AI....from the trigger guard back is plywood and from the magazine forward just boxed plywood glued to the original stock.......
IMG_2081.jpg

I did the m44 first and copied my TRG's stock on the second one...I am currently doing a hex receiver up like a CheyTac Intervention......
390363_320328951314125_100000110676862_1492345_585143688_n.jpg

Thanks.
There's a lot of good stuff on that page. Im gonna have to watch and see when they are back in stock. that could be a fun project...