• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Custom Rig!

CharlieNC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
LAPUA1.jpgLAPUA2.jpgI have been "building" Savage rifles for a few years, with decent results. Recently I got the bug to treat myself to my first custom rig and read the Hide Classifieds for a few days. A custom 6.5x47 by Tooter at Meredith Rifles in Athens, Ala caught my eye so I made a trip down there to check it out; it was built with premium components and at a great price. Quality and workmanship looked first class so I brought it home with me. The Lapua brass and 123 Scenar bullets came in a few days ago so I loaded up 20 rounds at .005" off the jamb using 38.3gr RL15 based on the Optimum Barrel Time calculation (I have found this worked quite well for a number of calibers before) to sight in and evaluate performance, plus a few at +/- 0.3 grains from the OBT charge to confirm stability. First trip to the range today at 200 yards gave 0.5" and 0.7" groups, with no change in POI between the OBT load and +0.3gr more powder, thus confirming the load stability without needing to evaluate out the entire charge range. Operation was smooth, and the caliber is low recoil for maintaining a good visual of shot placement when shooting prone. Yes I am very satisfied with the rig, it is first class!

Detail: Stiller Tac Action, Bartlein Barrel, Manners Stock

Last edited:
Just took a .308 from Tooter for its 2nd range trip. The 5 shot groups were under .5 at 100 and a 10 and 15 round groups were under an inch. This was not a tailored load- just some 155s over some R15 i had on hand. The big groups were fired fast from a very hot and dirty barrel.

I'm looking forward to my .308 from tooter in a few weeks too, seeing this just makes me that much more giddy......... Nice rig btw.......