• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first custom......that I built.

Ritten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2007
Houma, Louisiana
I've been slowly working my way up to this with the help of wroscoe and all the other smiths here on the hide who have been a wealth of information through their videos and PM's. I've put together some spare parts rifles already, but this was my first ground up attempt. A long weekend in the shop and here's the results.

Specs are:

Surgeon 591 repeater action
Krieger barrel 1:8.5 twist #18 Light Varmint 26"
Manners MCS-T stock pillar bedded & floated
Jewell trigger set at 16oz.
Surgeon detachable bottom metal
Muzzle threaded 5/8x24"
Caliber: 260 remington
U.S. Optics SN-3 3.2-17x44mm, GAP IR reticle, 1/10 mil EREK, M1 left hand windeage
Harris S 6x9 bi-pod

Most likely I'll Duracoat the barreled action flat black and put the same stencil pattern as the stock on the scope/rings.
IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

One of these days I'll machine out a proper thread protector, but for now the spare one from the parts bin is enough to protect these...
35f32b8a.jpg

Range report coming as soon as I can get some ammo loaded and get to the range!

Re: My first custom......that I built.

That looks very kool congrats on the build
laugh.gif

solid choice in all the parts and you even have a pod loc on the 6-9 harris.

i don't know if it would help but maybe a cheek piece (only if required)

i hope it's a real shooter

Really nice choices on your part list! I would love for that rifle to come home to my house!

looks good from a La. Man...Let us know how it shoots.

Looks fantastic. Definately need a range report.

Gorgeous gun, I love the bolt handle work

How about those groups, I'm a new found a beliver in the 260 i just finished mine and its unbeliveable 3 shot groups at 100 yards .130 while breaking in the barrel and havent done any load devl yet.

Here's the range report, although I haven't had time to work on all the loads I'd like to try with this gun. 140gr Bergers seem to make one jagged hole when jammed at .010". They have to be single loaded at those lengths since they don't fit in my AICS mags. There were some better groups, but this one is typical.
17053c97.jpg

Taking wroscoe's advice, I'm settling in with the 139gr Scenars for a match load. Jumped .010"-.005" seems to be the sweet spot and I'm getting an average of a .5moa right at 2810fps.
23be27ee.jpg

With a gun this accurate I'm able to see just what the difference a varying cheek pressure does. This wasn't a flyer, but rather I didn't follow my shot routine before taking shot #4. My cheek was pressing on the side of the rifle rather than resting on it. All shots were prone on a mat with a bi-pod.
e54cb234.jpg

I just finished confirming my dopes out to 600yds and will be using this to shoot the Predator Tactical Lonestar Challenge this weekend!

Very nice build and great groups. I am waiting for Mr. Roscoe to send an early Christmas present any day now. Might have to come and check out Ritten Precision's facilities.

Very cool build! And great groups man! Keep sending lead down range and enjoy!

Shoot Straight,
Josh

Solid build you have there and great shooting also. I bet it makes you feel good, like being a new poppa.

Well, I finally got a brake in between work, customer's rifles, shooting, and life to slap some paint on this thing. After the last sniper match I had some rust starting to form on the bottom of the action from being rained on for two days straight. A few coats of Duracoat, and a light skim bedding job to take care of a slight wandering zero and here's the end result.

IMG_2010.jpg

Perfect day today to check it too. Six shots at 300yds and it's loving the 139 Scenars into less than 1/3 moa. It will be well ready for the K&M match next month. Hopefully I will be too.

IMG_2012.jpg

good lord, thats purtyy. are you gonna put any patterns over the stock?

Congrats on the build, certainly must be a great feeling of accomplishment!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephen James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I correct is saying that your bolt is fluted? </div></div>

it looks like it...great looking rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephen James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I correct is saying that your bolt is fluted? </div></div>

Yes. The Surgeon bolts come fluted.