• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first full custom LR 308 Build

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
If this thing shoots half as good as it looks it may make me rethink using bolt guns for precision. I am going to mount my US Optics ST-10 for some groups with some left over Black Hills 168 Gr. Match.

Upper:

18" Black Hole Weaponry Barrel Straight Fluted (Black Barrel and Machined Flutes) Mid Length gas system.
DPMS Miculek Muzzle Brake
Black Hole Weaponry Bolt Group
PRI Gen 3 Rifle Length Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube (Black)
DPMS Upper w/ Forward Assist
POF Flag Dust Cover
Badger Tac. Gen 1 Charging Handle
DPMS Mid. Gas Tube

Lower:
DPMS Lower
Bill Springfield Single Stage Trigger
MagPul MIAD Grip w/ Magpul Grip Wedge
Magpul UBR Stock
DPMS Carbine Buffer and Spring

Everything was checked for headspace.

I work 12 Hr shifts the next 3 days but hope to have some pics up soon along with some shot groups. Which me luck with fuction and group test.

I have done lots of AR-15 builds and some .308 from kits but this will be my first 100% custom build on .308 platform.

Re: My first full custom LR 308 Build

We needs pics... Sounds like a sweet stick good luck on the range..

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008-1.jpg

It shot .5 inch with black hills match and .75 with rem. match. both 168 gr. It did not do it consitant due to ME behind the trigger.

I had one malfuction. I had a FTE on first round. Brass got stuck in chamber pretty good. the extractor ripped off a chunk of brass. Had to use a cleaning rod to get it out. after that I ran 50 rounds with 0 problems.

EXCEPT....The bottom part of my bolt catch broke off. I have never seen this problem. Is the .308 latch, spring and detent the same used on .223's that is what I used. I lost the spring and detent. It would still lock back on last round but I had to pull the bolt back to push the bolt release back down.

I will get a weight on the rifle. I thought it was very light for what it is untill I mounted the ST-10. Those things are HEAVY.

Any Ideas why this would of broke?

Weight is 9 Lbs 15 Oz.
(Empty/ No Optic)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any Ideas why this would of broke? </div></div>

If you're not using the 308 bolt catch and that's what broke there's your reason. DPMS has a 308 specific bolt catch that should be used with all large frame DPMS patterned rifles. The 308 catch is much beefier than the AR-15 catch. The spring and buffer are the same, the pin is replaced with a screw.

Good to know. This is a problem i am having with my lr 308. gonna talk to DPMS about this. they have been really good with trouble shooting. hope they can help with this.

Thanks

Kirk

Thanks for the help guys. I love learning all I can.

Know a place I can get one ordered other then DPMS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help guys. I love learning all I can.

Know a place I can get one ordered other then DPMS </div></div>

The underlined words in my post are a link to the Rainier page that has the 308 bolt catch listed.