• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing my first gun part (now featuring pics!)

Kletzenklueffer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2005
GA, USA
While no huge feat of machining, I made my first gun part last night in machining class.

I made a stainless steel guide rod for my P226. We were doing a similar project, so when I finish the project, I jumped at measuring my rolled steel guide rod and sketched out a rough print with specs, stuck a peice of 304 bar stock in the lathe and went to cutting.

What I did learn is that the carbide bit sure makes a nicer finish than tool steel. Maybe the tool steel was dulled.

I spent the first couple hours of the night rezeroing the tail stock- an adventure in itself. I'd be within .002" across 6" and then make and adjustment abe be out 0.020", then go back the other way and be .005" the other way. In the end I had it within .0005" across a 10" cut. That was enough for what I was doing.

Anyway, I don't have pics yet and I want to finish polishing the muzzle end. My instructor was waiting for me to finish so he could close up, so I had it good enough to use, so I stopped for the night.

Re: my first gun part

Here's some pics

p1010064y.jpg

p1010063c.jpg

p1010062c.jpg

p1010061z.jpg

p1010060d.jpg

muzzleview.jpg

Looks good , I would recomend a differant material though , 304 is actualy kinda weak and may lead to some premature wearing on the rod.

A better bet would be 17-4 or heat treaed 4140 , 4340 , if the finish is polished out on the CM it will be very resistant to rust

I was concerned about fram wear with a stronger metal like 17-4. I looked at some of the aftermarket ones and the typical material I saw was 304. I'll look into it more.

ETA- o.k. so I see springco uses 17-4 and Ed Brown uses 416R I'll looks and see if I can find a piece of either.