• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My first Precision Rifle Build idea...

Johnson184

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I've got about $5000ish to spend.
Here's what I've got so far... all services done by Krieger
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Services-c1246-wp3391.htm

USO SN3 scope ~$2400
Remington 700 SPS .308 $550
McMillan A-5 stock $750
Krieger barrel $265
Barrel install/chamber $270
Pillar bedding $180
Level 2 Accurizing $175
(Reface receiver/bolt face, true bolt face/lugs, true receiver face/lugs, true receiver threads)
Badger/Seekins base/rings$220
Harris Bipod ~$80

Am I forgetting anything? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance guys.

Re: My first Precision Rifle Build idea...

Unless you already have the donor rifle, for the $550 (rifle) plus $175 "accurizing" job ($725 total)......you could get something like a Stiller action for around $800.
I recently bought an sps rifle with the intent to add a barrel, ai stock, trigger, etc.....realized I could sell the donor, spend literally just a few more bucks to get the stiller action and base the build on it.

+1, go with a custom action if you don't already have a donor.

Trigger, recoil lug, and if you want a repeater some bottom metal

go with a custom action.....even if you already have the rem....just sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1, go with a custom action if you don't already have a donor. </div></div>

Big +1. Get you a Surgeon, or any other custom action.

What are all the custom actions for under $900? The surgeon seems nice... but $1200 is a little more than I'm currently willing to pay. Then again... that might change.

Surgeon round action (RSR?) is way less than the integral rail and recoil lug model you are quoting at $1200.

Stiller actions are under $900.

Lawton actions are also under $800 with group buys still going on now I believe in the group buy section.

Check out the Lawton 7000 sa. group buy or Surgeons rsr action they should be in your price range.

Stiller predator w/standard bolt knob....$775 (included pin/lug). Just got one a month ago, with they're tac bolt knob and 20moa base, very high quality, works great!

I was gonna do the accurizing thing to a Rem action also, But I got a surgeon repeater and couldnt be happier, maybe you could sacrifice on the scope and go Nightforce or Leupy MK4, if you wanted, but Still you have a nice set-up in mind

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'll end up going with a Surgeon action.

What's the reason for the price difference of the Repeater and RSR? (I'm not knowledgeable with custom actions or actions at all lol)
The integral rail seems like a terrific idea. What exactly does the integral recoil lug do? Is it like a shock absorber? (If so... I don't really see how that keenly affects accuracy, please correct me if I'm wrong)

However, if I went the route of a Surgeon action... what extras would I need? I imagine I'd need an internal box magazine, and even an aftermarket trigger. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm learning boatloads.
grin.gif

On the Remingotn, Stiller, or the Surgeon Round Action the recoil lug is sandwiched between the face of the reciever and the barrel shoulder. This is what keeps you from eating the reciever when you pull the trigger. In the case of the Surgeon repeater this piece is machined directly into the action and gives a bit more threaded tennon on the barrel. Nice feature but not nessessary. I talkwith people about this on an almost daily basis. if youdon't have a doner action to begin with you are better off going with a custom action. The Stiller or the Surgeon RSR are going to be about the same cost in the end, and either will be generaly within $100 of your proposed build. In the end if you chose to sell in the future you either have a used Remington or you have a rifle built on a custom action.

im on the same boat..im currently building my first precision rifle and my modo is pay once cry once..so i purchase m2008 just in case i want to change barrels later, is going on aics 2.0 ouch! but really cool i like them(my second one), schnider barrel, NF scope...will be lots of fun. dont need to upgrade later.

if stiller had a action like badger or surgeon i would go with them(the interchangable part)...by the time you finish doing the truing the action you are all the way up ther with stiller price, i agree if you already had the action then start there but if you dont get a custom.

hope this help.

jason

I am in a similar boat starting a 338 build and considering the m2008. What other components are you considering? I will likley go with the Manners T-4 similar to my .308

I didn't see refinishing the metal. Approx $200.00.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got about $5000ish to spend.
Here's what I've got so far... all services done by Krieger
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Services-c1246-wp3391.htm

USO SN3 scope ~$2400
Remington 700 SPS .308 $550
McMillan A-5 stock $750
Krieger barrel $265
Barrel install/chamber $270
Pillar bedding $180
Level 2 Accurizing $175
(Reface receiver/bolt face, true bolt face/lugs, true receiver face/lugs, true receiver threads)
Badger/Seekins base/rings$220
Harris Bipod ~$80

Am I forgetting anything? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance guys.
</div></div>

The threads in level II are chased with a piloted tap. I can only imagine that the entire receiver truing process will be done with pioleted hand tools if they're already chasing the threads with a pioleted tap.

The hand tools are OK but, there’s only a certain level of precision that can be reached with them, most will simply follow the existing hole. When cutting metal in a lathe using the single point method, much tighter tolerances can be reached/held and better finishes are the end result. Ask questions and request this service be performed single point in a lathe. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send all the parts to William Roscoe and live happily ever after.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cockcroft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send all the parts to William Roscoe and live happily ever after.</div></div>

+1</div></div> ++1